Elks make a leadership change...

Started by The Zipp, August 15, 2023, 01:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Thought this guy was good for the league??  Did he hire Chris Jones?

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/14/edmonton-elks-president-victor-cui-to-part-ways-report/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Edmonton Elks and team president Victor Cui are parting ways, according to a report from TSN?s Farhan Lalji. The team did not immediately return 3DownNation?s request for comment.

The 51-year-old was hired by the team in January 2022 to succeed Chris Presson, who was fired following the 2021 season. The team has since gone 4-23 and has lost 22 consecutive home games, a streak that dates back to before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Edmonton native left his home city in 2002 to gain international sports marketing experience. In 2010, he launched One Championship (MMA), which became Asia?s largest sports media property with a valuation of well over $1 billion USD.

Cui went to Archbishop O?Leary High School where he was students? union president and received a Johnny Bright scholarship before graduating from the University of Alberta, where he studied international politics. He went on to gain local sports management and marketing expertise, managing some of the city?s most prominent sporting events such as the 2001 World Championship in Athletics.

He served as the senior director of the event management group for ESPN STAR Sports Singapore and has served as director of corporate communications for Golf Canada. Cui also served as a reservist in the Royal Canadian Navy and has a black belt in taekwondo.

The Elks (0-9) are scheduled to visit the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (3-5) on Thursday, Aug. 17 with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m. EDT.

bunker

Quote from: The Zipp on August 15, 2023, 01:02:07 AM
Thought this guy was good for the league??  Did he hire Chris Jones?

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/14/edmonton-elks-president-victor-cui-to-part-ways-report/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Edmonton Elks and team president Victor Cui are parting ways, according to a report from TSN?s Farhan Lalji. The team did not immediately return 3DownNation?s request for comment.

The 51-year-old was hired by the team in January 2022 to succeed Chris Presson, who was fired following the 2021 season. The team has since gone 4-23 and has lost 22 consecutive home games, a streak that dates back to before the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Edmonton native left his home city in 2002 to gain international sports marketing experience. In 2010, he launched One Championship (MMA), which became Asia?s largest sports media property with a valuation of well over $1 billion USD.

Cui went to Archbishop O?Leary High School where he was students? union president and received a Johnny Bright scholarship before graduating from the University of Alberta, where he studied international politics. He went on to gain local sports management and marketing expertise, managing some of the city?s most prominent sporting events such as the 2001 World Championship in Athletics.

He served as the senior director of the event management group for ESPN STAR Sports Singapore and has served as director of corporate communications for Golf Canada. Cui also served as a reservist in the Royal Canadian Navy and has a black belt in taekwondo.

The Elks (0-9) are scheduled to visit the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (3-5) on Thursday, Aug. 17 with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m. EDT.

I think Jones was hired by the Elks board of governors before Cui came on board. Jones hired Dec 2021, Cui brought in Jan 2022. They brought in Buono as a consultant before hiring Jones. I think they parted ways with the wrong guy. Jones tying his fate to Conrnelius and giving him all that guaranteed money is reason alone to fire him. But I guess Cui will not count against the SMS for coaches and GMs.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on August 15, 2023, 01:07:28 AM
But I guess Cui will not count against the SMS for coaches and GMs.

President doesn't count towards coaches cap?  But GM does...?  News to me.  Weird.

They fired the wrong guy and this will do nothing.  Actually, the way it's worded, it's probably just Cui jumping ship to save his rep.  Smart move.

Uh, so now is the President... no one?  Someone has to at least become the acting Pres.

EDM is another board-led team, right?  Maybe it's time for a bunch of that board to be fired.

This move is a nothingburger in-season and won't impact the team on the field next week in any way.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

One of many to flee? It doesn?t matter.  The elks are irrelevant. CuI absolutely left to save his REPUTATION and resume.

But really Jones should resign.  Geroy should have kept on walking when he left around half-time.

dd

Big deal, the team president resigns. Like that had a lot to do with the product on the field. He?s likely so embarrassed about the whole situation (has Edmonton EVER went 0-9 to start a season??) he just wanted to disassociate himself from the organization and when that happens, you got problems right to the very core of the organization. That said, I ll never get tired of watching Edmonton lose, ever.

BLUEBOMBER

Cleary the wrong guy got fired at this moment but Cui was not the right guy to lead the team in the first place. Chris Jones should never have been allowed to step foot into Canada again after what he did to the Roughriders years ago. And Cornelius is not starting QB material no matter how you put it. I guess Jones has too many hats to be fired and Cornelius is paid too much guaranteed money to let go. Perhaps the Elks should just changed their name back to the Eskimos since no one in Edmonton will watch them any longer anyways. Sad to see a team that is the pride, joy and crown jewel of the CFL turn out this way. Board of Directors definitely deserves most of the blame imho...

blue_gold_84

There had to be a fall guy - and Cui was it. What a shame.

Rock bottom for that franchise.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 15, 2023, 01:13:43 PM
There had to be a fall guy - and Cui was it. What a shame.

Rock bottom for that franchise.

I had an inkling last week Cui would leave before Jones, he wasn't a football guy and had no idea how to fix the situation he found himself in.  This gives the Elks the chance to put someone in charge that can shake the rafters of the organization, we'll see who they select.  Chris Jones for president!  :D

bunker

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 15, 2023, 03:33:07 PM
I had an inkling last week Cui would leave before Jones, he wasn't a football guy and had no idea how to fix the situation he found himself in.  This gives the Elks the chance to put someone in charge that can shake the rafters of the organization, we'll see who they select.  Chris Jones for president!  :D
Maybe they could try him at QB also  :D

theaardvark

Jeesh.. talk about making the absolute wrong move.

Cui was a breath of fresh air in the league, in the Wade Miller, Pinball, Doman mode... he was a good guy to put in charge.  You'd have to think he was coming on board before the Jones hire, and was sold on Jones by the board.  He got "saddled" with the enema that is Jones, I mean enigma, and all his initiatives that had hope went the way of the dodo.

I can see it being his way of salvaging some of his reputation and marketability going forward.  No one at this moment would doubt him for leaving, with all the judgement/blame being squarely on Jones at the moment.

He was a good man, with good ideas, trapped in a horrible situation.  I don't think he will return to the CFL, and wish him well in his endeavors.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

CuI made another good career move by leaving.
When does Ottawa and Elks play again? The basement bowl could be an exciting spectacle.  Who throws the most hitch screens?

Jesse

Elks are incompetent.

Their board is like ours when it was Asper and his buddies running things. Anyone who doesn't blow smoke up their butts, telling them how awesome they are all the time is let go.
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Probably friction between Cui, the board and the cap realities. Maybe he wanted to get rid of Jones or make other changes, but the board, looking at the cap implications said no.

blue_or_die

Dustin Nielsen said he clashed hard with the alumni
#Ride?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 16, 2023, 06:47:39 PM
Dustin Nielsen said he clashed hard with the alumni

Why should ex-football players have any say in the operation of the football team?  Most of them are knuckleheads with no financial interest.