Zach Injury Watch - Calgary pre-game thread

Started by TecnoGenius, August 11, 2023, 07:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2023, 10:31:07 PM
I do not think there is a call Walters would entertain regarding Dru.  Period.  No amount of DP's, not players would warrant risking not having the backup that just won them a game they actually came out of the half as 4.5 point underdogs in the live betting to a team that hasn't won a game at home this decade....

Dizzy obviously meant after the season.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

There's no "QB controversy" in WPG, it's just not gonna happen.  Chill!
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 11, 2023, 11:18:53 PM
Problem was Zach wasn't down.  And whistle had not blown.  Zach still trying to make a play.  And he was a runner and not re-established himself as a passer (falling down doesn't count).

At the very end of the MOS presser he said command gave him the explanation and said they wouldn't flag for RTP because the D guy braced his fall to not put his full weight on Zach.  MOS sounded peeved at that.  If true, that hints that command would have called RTP had the guy belly flopped Zach.

The whole situation sucks but it doesn't really break any existing rules.  I don't know what you do to protect against this, other than do more Nichols throwaways.

The refs and command centre totally blew that call. Collaros was going down and was in a defenseless vulnerable position and took a strike to,the head area AFTER he got rid of the ball. It?s no different than when the Qb throws the ball, is in a defenseless vulnerable position and a D linemen drills him. He gets tagged every time and rightfully so.

I am so tired of the absolute bogus officiating and inconsistency in this league. You have to protect the Qbs when they are vulnerable and they?re doing a terrible job of it.

I have watched the cfl since 1975, and I can never remember so many starting QBs lost to injury. BC, Saskatchewan, Ottawa, Hamilton, Montreal, and now Winnipeg. Only Calgary has their starting Qb playing right now. So 1 out of 9 teams has their starting Qb playing. Can?t tell me that isn?t going to affect the product on th field , as it does, this Montreal Saskatchewan game is awful, and can?t tell me your attendance isn?t going to drop. Who wants to watch pre-season caliber football??

Wake the heck up and call th RTP and crucify guys for injuring them. Start off with a 15 ya penalty,  it if the Qb leaves the game as a result of a hit, 25 yd penalty, out of the game and a fine. You have to protect the players fans want to see play.

I don?t blame MOS for being miffed, the situation is absolutely ridiculous, he challenges and loses and you just want to scream. Enough of this already

dizzycamper

Quote from: Jesse on August 11, 2023, 11:44:45 PM
Dizzy obviously meant after the season.

Thank you, Jesse... That's exactly what I meant... that's why I indicated Feb free agency as a timeline, which will be after this season or Jan/Feb 2024.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 11, 2023, 09:24:06 PM
As I said before, if Buck moved on and get a HC gig, he will have Brown tagging along with him.
It's a win-win for both of them.
Buck will have a QB familiar with his system.
Brown will get his starting gig and HC that he is familiar with.

Unless the Bombers decide that it's better to keep Brown than an aging Collaros.

As much as I was impressed by Dru last night, let?s not get carried away. It is one game only. Could be a flash in the pan. Need more action before anointing him starter material. No doubt some of the bottom feeders will take a flyer on him though. Walters should trade his rights after the season ends to get a draft pick or something if he is absolutely gonzo.

theaardvark

Dru has persevered here, knowing any backup is one hit away from starting.  Zach isn't getting any younger, and what QB wouldn't love to start here, behind this line, with these rec's and RB, with these coaches and these fans?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Brown is worth signing at the expense of another good play imo, I would offer him two year deal today.

Mikerahl

Bombers gonna be trolling us with the next injury report as Zach shows up on there with a Thorax injury

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Mikerahl on August 12, 2023, 05:16:14 AM
Bombers gonna be trolling us with the next injury report as Zach shows up on there with a Thorax injury

I'd kill for that level of tranparency!  :D :D :D

Nope, we'll either get "concussion" or the ever-elusive "upper body injury".  Or we'll get "he's mostly ok and a GTD".  Hahaha
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Watching again: how hard is the defender's chest pad on the outside?  Because that's what whacked Zach's head.  I was thinking because he didn't get whacked by a H2H, or an arm, shoulder or bone that it wouldn't be concussion.  But now I'm wondering if a blow to the side of the helmet from a chest pad, in an indirect / wash-over manner, could be enough.

I still think it's the unnatural neck bending in an extreme way.  I mean any one of us having that happen and we'd have a stiff messed up neck for weeks.

Also, about 3 mins after the hit they show Zach and the trainer jogging to the tunnel.  Who on earth would have the possible-concussion guy jog??  Impossible.  Also, I saw no indication that Zach was ever unconscious.  Ya, he was seeing little birdies flying around his head, but not out cold, with the typical, concomitant arm posture, etc.

The more I see this the more I'm hoping it's a nothingburger and it's just a neck twinge that he's over in 1-2 weeks.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: Nic16 on August 11, 2023, 04:05:45 PM
Looking at the tv shot of Zach on the sidelines rolling & stretching his neck has me thinking he had a stinger in the area of his neck. I think it may have been why he stayed on the ground and moving his hands and arms very carefully.

After googling neck stinger, this makes the most sense to me.

If history means anything, MOS stays loyal to Zach even if it means we lose Brown because we can't pay both.  I remember him going to Willy's house to tell him in person when they finally had to trade him. He's just fiercely loyal to his guys. But all we can do right now is worry about this year. We are all in here, as we should be.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

bunker

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 12, 2023, 03:58:28 AM
Brown is worth signing at the expense of another good play imo, I would offer him two year deal today.
I like Brown, and I think he's likely starter material in the CFL, but you have to be a bit cautious with QBs, they sometimes impress in a small sample size, then fall off.
Its going to be very challenging to keep him. Collaros makes 600,000 for the next 3 years, with 250,000 guaranteed in the his last year, and I read that 500,000 of his 600,000 is hard money, ie not based on play time etc... I'm not sure how we can offer Brown enough money next year to compete with other teams willing to take a flyer on him as their number 1. Maybe if Bighill, Neufeld and some other vets retire, but we still have to find money for a large raise for Schoen.

buckzumhoff

Brown won't get a huge raise for winning a game. He's good . He's better than Collaros in alot of watsm he seems to move in the pocket and doesn't run out if it. He gets rid of he ball. Surprised collaros makes these interception passes in his own end when he ran back 15 yards to avoid getting sacked. He need to get rid of the ball. I think he's looking for one receiver and Brown has a stronger arm possibly

Sec223

It wasn't long ago when Brown got in a game and he sucked. Everyone wanted him cut that night. Now one good game and people want him signed immediately to an extension. Chill people. chill. Let's not forget also who they were playing.

Jesse

Quote from: Sec223 on August 12, 2023, 01:20:02 PM
It wasn't long ago when Brown got in a game and he sucked. Everyone wanted him cut that night. Now one good game and people want him signed immediately to an extension. Chill people. chill. Let's not forget also who they were playing.

When?

He's had two starts and threw for 300 yards and at least 3 TDs both times.

His only other game action was leading us on a game-winning drive against Ottawa.
My wife is amazing!