Tommy Condell out Scott Milanovich in ...

Started by The Zipp, August 08, 2023, 01:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_or_die

In 2019, mid season we were struggling and Hamilton was on fire that year. I recall someone posting a thread on here where they wondered what it would take for Condell to come here and become HC if MOS couldn?t get us over the hump. Catfan laughed it off, mentioning how he was super happy in his role as a super successful OC.

Oh how times change  :D :D :D
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

I've thought Condell was awful since 2019.  Even with that fantastic record.  He just doesn't seem to have a feel for the game and he's never learned.  He's kind of like Maas: except even Maas is appearing to learn a little bit and alter his approach.

My favorite Condell moment was the '19 GC when they turned it over on downs mid-game and they show him in the booth whacking things and having a conniption.  I love watching that bit over and over.  He has that ridiculous (on him) Twitter Dorsey beard thing happening then.

I don't think anyone will hire him as OC.  Well, maybe SSK if they hate-on their new guy any further.  Maybe 3 more losses...  ;)

Now, as for Scott... has he ever done OC??  Thought he was a HC and something else (but not OC)?  He's been lurking in the shadows a lot the last few years.  Does he still have it in him?  And is it legal for a TOR ex-HC to work for HAM?  Won't they string him up or something?  ;D ;D
Never go full Rider!

bunker

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 08, 2023, 01:58:50 AM
In 2019, mid season we were struggling and Hamilton was on fire that year. I recall someone posting a thread on here where they wondered what it would take for Condell to come here and become HC if MOS couldn?t get us over the hump. Catfan laughed it off, mentioning how he was super happy in his role as a super successful OC.

Catfan.... now theirs a name I haven't heard in a while. He disappeared around the time that Hamilton's grey cup aspirations did.
I think Condell is a competent OC who did well when he had a good QB, and didn't when he didn't, like most OC's.
He's the sacrificial lamb...unfortunately, I think Orlando will be next, unless they can reverse course.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Condell seemed to be tone deaf to ever integrating a running game, but I often thought the Argos were pretty limpid when Milanovich was their HC, so not expecting much improvement in their offensive performance. They need to re-examine leadership from the top down, nobody is scared of Orlando, he's much too soft.

bwiser

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 08, 2023, 03:47:19 AM
Condell seemed to be tone deaf to ever integrating a running game, but I often thought the Argos were pretty limpid when Milanovich was their HC, so not expecting much improvement in their offensive performance. They need to re-examine leadership from the top down, nobody is scared of Orlando, he's much too soft.
The bottom line is it is difficult to replace any coach midseason because most of the good ones are working.

The Zipp

not having a QB hasn't helped either...Ticats are a bit of an anomaly - I think Steinhauer is a decent coach but the team is undisciplined and just can't seem to get to the next level.  Might be time for a HC change next season.

Jesse

I remember when he was really rolling as an OC and started taking HC interviews, but he never got the job.

But no doubt he's being used as a bit of a scape goat. Someone on twitter (Naylor or Farhan or someone) suggested that this was always a possibility after Milanovich was brought in.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on August 08, 2023, 01:42:12 PM
The bottom line is it is difficult to replace any coach midseason because most of the good ones are working.

Oh I'm sure Steiner will get to the end of the season but I think the writings on the wall, he's tried to implement O'Shea's culture without the backbone or discipline to back it up.

blue_gold_84

Funny how that's all worked out in the long run. And rather fun for fans of this team. ;D

FWIW, though, Condell's departure probably won't change anything. The Ti-Cats window has pretty much closed if this current campaign is any indication.

I feel for Steinauer. He's a good coach.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

If Richie Hall ever decides to retire, Orlando would be a very interesting choice to replace him...

Condell was always portrayed as a offensive genius, spending time in the NCAA, etc.. and getting interviews for HC...  getting hamstrung by Bo Levi really does not help.  I didn't realize, but Condell has a WFC tie in that he was STC here in ill fated 1997 season, where we saw Jeff Reinbold pilot the team to a 4-14 record and its first missed playoffs in 17 years...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

I think this was mentioned on the Argos game this past week, pretty impressive set of coaches in 2012 for them:

HC - Scott Milanovich
Asst HC/DC - Chris Jones
QB coach - Jason Maas
Secondary coach - Orlando Steinhauer
O line - Stephen McAdoo
Special Teams - Mike O'Shea

Bombers were clearly the winners in that one...They mentioned that most of these guys are still pretty close these days.

theaardvark

Quote from: The Zipp on August 08, 2023, 03:41:43 PM
I think this was mentioned on the Argos game this past week, pretty impressive set of coaches in 2012 for them:

HC - Scott Milanovich
Asst HC/DC - Chris Jones
QB coach - Jason Maas
Secondary coach - Orlando Steinhauer
O line - Stephen McAdoo
Special Teams - Mike O'Shea

Bombers were clearly the winners in that one...They mentioned that most of these guys are still pretty close these days.

Jim Barker GM'd that team... (Chris Jones asst GM)

Looks like Milanovich was the OC as well as HC...

Offensive coaches

Quarterbacks ? Jason Maas
    Receivers ? Kez McCorvey
    Offensive line ? Stephen McAdoo
    Running Backs - Anthony Ierullo

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2023, 04:07:09 PM

Looks like Milanovich was the OC as well as HC...

Offensive coaches

Quarterbacks ? Jason Maas
    Receivers ? Kez McCorvey
    Offensive line ? Stephen McAdoo
    Running Backs - Anthony Ierullo

Milanovich played QB for 7 years as a pro, playing in every league under the sun including time in the NFL and the CFL with the Stamps.

Waffler

GC winning year for them and pretty well set at QB too.

Ricky Ray
Trevor Harris
Jarious Jackson
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on August 08, 2023, 04:35:20 PM
GC winning year for them and pretty well set at QB too.

Ricky Ray
Trevor Harris
Jarious Jackson

They also brought in Zach around the same time.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

:D

Condell has been brutal for a while in my eyes.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bwiser on August 08, 2023, 01:42:12 PM

Lapo isn't.  I'd take Lapo over Milanovitch as OC any day of the week.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2023, 03:18:52 PM
If Richie Hall ever decides to retire, Orlando would be a very interesting choice to replace him...

I think we're grooming Younger to do it?  They've worked together a long while.  Kind of like Lapo->Buck transition.  If we had to pick a DC from oustide?  Hmm... have to think on that one.  Benevides has sure been going gangbusters lately.... From zero to hero in 1.5 seasons.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 08, 2023, 04:07:09 PM

The CFL coaches sure are a small club, eh?  And entrances/exits don't happen very frequently.
Never go full Rider!

BlueInCgy

Putting Steinauers replacement in at OC for the next transition.

Both Condell and Steinauer will land up with other teams without much issue.  Hard to objectively analyze Steinauer as a HC, because he?s been the best team in a weak division for a number of years.

It?s going to be a tough few years for HC coming up given the nearly league wide void at QB.  BLM, Massoli, and Harris are done or nearly so.  Zach is not getting younger.  What?s that leave, Fajardo and Adams as the top vet QBs in the league, Kelly as the next great one, and Maier as the next best?  That?s the weakest league wide QB lineup in as long as I can remember.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BlueInCgy on August 09, 2023, 04:22:27 AM
That?s the weakest league wide QB lineup in as long as I can remember.

Yup, it's kind of depressing.  Think back to a decade ago when there were 4-5 superb QBs in the CFL at any given time, and very few real clinkers.

Thus I believe it's obvious that the oldsters will have to pull a Tom Brady and just keep playing.  As long as their arms work, no reason they can't stay (that rules out BLM).  I could see Zach and Trevor and even Masoli staying for several more years.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 09, 2023, 04:30:56 AM
Yup, it's kind of depressing.  Think back to a decade ago when there were 4-5 superb QBs in the CFL at any given time, and very few real clinkers.

Thus I believe it's obvious that the oldsters will have to pull a Tom Brady and just keep playing.  As long as their arms work, no reason they can't stay (that rules out BLM).  I could see Zach and Trevor and even Masoli staying for several more years.

Yep, the pays not bad and they would be able to duplicate their income in any other line of work.  Never heard of a QB having to seek employment in another field other than Drew Willy.