Ricky Walker

Started by Pigskin, August 04, 2023, 05:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Ricky Walker is becoming a pretty good DT. First season starting, 8 games, 16 DTs, 3 sacks. Hope Mr. Walters can extend him for next season. I think this guy is only going to get better.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on August 04, 2023, 05:53:26 PM
Ricky Walker is becoming a pretty good DT. First season starting, 8 games, 16 DTs, 3 sacks. Hope Mr. Walters can extend him for next season. I think this guy is only going to get better.
Completely agree. He has played great this season!

I think our DL is in great shape when all healthy:
Willie - Walker - Thomas - Jeffcoat
Haba - Fox - Lawson - Bennet

27 sacks on the season or about 3.5 sacks per game is a great number to be at.

pjrocksmb

lots of worry about this group, the vets stepped up the new faces are good, nothing burger (when healthy).

Walker is a beast.

Pigskin

Quote from: LXTSN on August 04, 2023, 06:05:41 PM
Completely agree. He has played great this season!

I think our DL is in great shape when all healthy:
Willie - Walker - Thomas - Jeffcoat
Haba - Fox - Lawson - Bennet

27 sacks on the season or about 3.5 sacks per game is a great number to be at.

Willie, Walker, and Jeffcoat carrying most of the load. Haba was looking good before his injury. Lawson disappears every so often, needs more consistency. Jake is getting back on track. Wilson coming back is going to help this group.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on August 04, 2023, 08:37:39 PM
Willie, Walker, and Jeffcoat carrying most of the load. Haba was looking good before his injury. Lawson disappears every so often, needs more consistency. Jake is getting back on track. Wilson coming back is going to help this group.

Wilson was a major force last night.  Watching him and Biggie work together was amazing.  Biggie must be ecstatic having him back.

There was one play where Wilson sees where the ball is going and changes his movement direction on a dime to get after the ball.  He wasn't needed, but watching him do that was really cool.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Biggie was amazing last night.  Wilson is a top player in this league.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on August 04, 2023, 05:53:26 PM

Doubt it. We've seen this play out how many times now?

Walker will get his 200k on the open market.

Walters will insert Fox or other back-up DT that people will complain about for half a season until..."oh wow, he looks good. I wonder if we should re-sign him?"

Repeat.
My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Jesse on August 04, 2023, 10:42:35 PM

Walters will insert Fox or other back-up DT that people will complain about for half a season until..."oh wow, he looks good. I wonder if we should re-sign him?"

Repeat.

We might be able to sign him if he wants to stay but you could be right, might chase a buck.

You are 100% right about the complaint cycle lol.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 04, 2023, 10:42:35 PM

Haha, maybe.  That presumes Walker turns out as good as Nevis, Stove, Sayles.  Not guaranteed.

Since when did WPG become the CFL's DT factory?  Ironic, since us fans are always moaning and complaining about the DT spot: more than any other position!!
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 05, 2023, 01:00:55 AM
Haha, maybe.  That presumes Walker turns out as good as Nevis, Stove, Sayles.  Not guaranteed.

Since when did WPG become the CFL's DT factory?  Ironic, since us fans are always moaning and complaining about the DT spot: more than any other position!!

Killer scouts

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 05, 2023, 01:00:55 AM

We were spoiled when Stove was in there....he had a few great seasons with us before he left for BC.   When he was healthy he was incredible at stopping the run and bull rushing QBs.   Tough shoes to fill
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 04, 2023, 11:44:25 PM
We might be able to sign him if he wants to stay but you could be right, might chase a buck.

You are 100% right about the complaint cycle lol.

We don't pay our DTs. Simple as that.

Gotta pay for Zach's contract somehow.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on August 05, 2023, 02:48:10 PM

yep....I remember when we let Stove walk and I for one was really upset however we went on without him and still dominated.    Zach is the straw that stirs our offensive elixir and worth every penny we pay him!!
He is still the reigning MOP in the league and he put that on display against a very good defense!
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Walker is becoming a very good player. Will he chase a bigger contract in 2024, we'll see. It depends on which teams have a need and who else reaches free agency.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Jesse on August 05, 2023, 02:48:10 PM

That's true and I agree

Generally we have preferred to be patient with our development of young guys, worked in draft picks, trusted our scouts, struck with vets and also haven't jumped on high priced free agents (for most part).  Incredible management of our players imo.  We have seen lots of faces come and go at DT and DB and we are in a good cycle of finding and developing talent while on a budget.  Hats off to our club.

Pigskin

Walker, with another very good game tonight. After his 11th start, it looks like he should have 21 DTs and 4 Sacks. He just keeps getting better each game.

pjrocksmb

Not good enough some worried.  Beast.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 25, 2023, 02:41:38 PM
Not good enough some worried.  Beast.
To be fair he had a slow start....Doug Brown who knows a thing or two about DTs commented on his poor play earlier in the season.    Last night Brown recognized the improvement in both Walker and Lawson as well as Thomas.
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Walker has been pretty solid all season. Lawson and Thomas not so much. Both Lawson and Thomas had there best game of the season last night. With Lawson and Thomas playing better, Walker didn't have to do all the heavy lifting.

pjrocksmb

All three be as advertised.  Lawson and Thomas are decent.  Walker been good.  Brown was wrong about the DL.  None issue handled internally.  Yes he knows his stuff but he was hunting for weakness here.

ModAdmin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 25, 2023, 09:55:02 PM
All three be as advertised.  Lawson and Thomas are decent.  Walker been good.  Brown was wrong about the DL.  None issue handled internally.  Yes he knows his stuff but he was hunting for weakness here.

No, you are presenting opinion as fact. Brown is much better equipped with experience and knowledge to be deemed "wrong" as you state. Then stating Brown is looking for "weakness" is a pure assumption on your part. When you tell others they are too harsh at times perhaps think about your post quoted above. Just a thought.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BLUEBOMBER

I believe the guy that is exciting to watch and has a lot more upside potential is Cam Lawson.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 25, 2023, 10:09:08 PM
No, you are presenting opinion as fact. Brown is much better equipped with experience and knowledge to be deemed "wrong" as you state. Then stating Brown is looking for "weakness" is a pure assumption on your part. When you tell others they are too harsh at times perhaps think about your post quoted above. Just a thought.
I presented my opinion on Brown's take on the DL, presented my opinion on the play of three specific DLmen. I disagree that I presented my opinion as a fact.  You are nit picking a bit here and sounds like just frustrated that I call people out when I believe they are being harsh.  I fail to see your connection there.  I believe I just provided a strong argument against what Brown said.

The fact is Brown was overly worried and critical about the DL and the group is close to the top in sacks, we have a lot of knock downs and my opinion is that we have a top tier DL with some real studs.  Brown knows more than us correct.  He knows the DL position as good as any and was simply proven wrong imo thus far.  I remember him going on about the weakness on our DL early season on the radio.

Brown is paid to generate content and a story and he tried but was off the mark imo.  It will be more telling how it all played out and how many wings he is due at the end of the year but at this moment our DL is one of our core strengths and only to improve as our young guns develop and we get healthy. 

We are a top 3 team and the best overall IMO. I believe the play of our DL is one of the reasons we are successful.  It's OK to poke a little fun at Brown, razz him and have a laugh about it.  I  the end he will be right more times than wrong.

I'll eat a crow Sammie if the DL fails as Brown predicted.  Until then, the birds on his door step.  When it's cold out we will determine who get the lions share.

What's your opinion on our DL, Brown's assessment, Walker or others? I would like he hear more about your opinion on the DL and less about the tone of my post lol.

On another topic, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you had the track record of being a wee bit harsh on Rose all of last year on the GDT's (when he got roasted a few times).  I am not sure which mod that was. My memory is bad.

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on August 25, 2023, 10:49:24 PM
I believe the guy that is exciting to watch and has a lot more upside potential is Cam Lawson.
Agree.  Great game yesterday.  Nice low and slow development.

ModAdmin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 25, 2023, 11:01:57 PM
I presented my opinion on Brown's take on the DL, presented my opinion on the play of three specific DLmen. I disagree that I presented my opinion as a fact.  You are nit picking a bit here and sounds like just frustrated that I call people out when I believe they are being harsh.  I fail to see your connection there.  I believe I just provided a strong argument against what Brown said.

The fact is Brown was overly worried and critical about the DL and the group is close to the top in sacks, we have a lot of knock downs and my opinion is that we have a top tier DL with some real studs.  Brown knows more than us correct.  He knows the DL position as good as any and was simply proven wrong imo thus far.  I remember him going on about the weakness on our DL early season on the radio.

Brown is paid to generate content and a story and he tried but was off the mark imo.  It will be more telling how it all played out and how many wings he is due at the end of the year but at this moment our DL is one of our core strengths and only to improve as our young guns develop and we get healthy. 

We are a top 3 team and the best overall IMO. I believe the play of our DL is one of the reasons we are successful.  It's OK to poke a little fun at Brown, razz him and have a laugh about it.  I  the end he will be right more times than wrong.

I'll eat a crow Sammie if the DL fails as Brown predicted.  Until then, the birds on his door step.  When it's cold out we will determine who get the lions share.

What's your opinion on our DL, Brown's assessment, Walker or others? I would like he hear more about your opinion on the DL and less about the tone of my post lol.

On another topic, correct me if I am wrong but I believe you had the track record of being a wee bit harsh on Rose all of last year on the GDT's (when he got roasted a few times).  I am not sure which mod that was. My memory is bad.

Agree.  Great game yesterday.  Nice low and slow development.

Here is what I think.  I think it is unfair and actually insulting to suggest Brown "is paid to generate and a story".  That suggestion reeks of an accusation he bends or manipulates the truth with his reporting and commentary.

I think your comment " It's OK to poke a little fun at Brown, razz him and have a laugh about it" is a late attempt to rationalize your earlier, what I believe, erroneous assessment of his ability to know more than any of us about player assessment and Dline performance.

I will cautiously take his view - especially on Dline issues - over just about anyone on this forum or any other forum

With regard to Rose, I don't recall having any "track record" on him last year.  I will say that I didnt feel he had a stellar year.  He was beat too many times on explosion plays and that may have been due to injuries but I just don't have the knowledge to say definitively if that was the reason.  I do believe Rose did not have a great or good season last year.

I'll stick with my original thoughts on your earlier post about Brown.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 26, 2023, 12:29:02 AM
Here is what I think.  I think it is unfair and actually insulting to suggest Brown "is paid to generate and a story".  That suggestion reeks of an accusation he bends or manipulates the truth with his reporting and commentary.

I think your comment " It's OK to poke a little fun at Brown, razz him and have a laugh about it" is a late attempt to rationalize your earlier, what I believe, erroneous assessment of his ability to know more than any of us about player assessment and Dline performance.

I will cautiously take his view - especially on Dline issues - over just about anyone on this forum or any other forum

With regard to Rose, I don't recall having any "track record" on him last year.  I will say that I didnt feel he had a stellar year.  He was beat too many times on explosion plays and that may have been due to injuries but I just don't have the knowledge to say definitively if that was the reason.  I do believe Rose did not have a great or good season last year.

I'll stick with my original thoughts on your earlier post about Brown.
I think you are really stretching here.  We can agree to disagree.  You have presented zero specific opinions on our DL, other than agreeing with Brown.  What's your grade of our DL as a whole? I say B+.  My only concern is our run D at times.  Lights out yesterday.

I'm not trying to insult Brown.  He is paid to talk and share his opinion, which I believe has been debunked thus far based on the play of our DL, our stats and incredible record.

Not trying to twist anything.  Simply don't agree with his assessment.  I think you are diving a wee bit deep into a nothing burger.  Again best to focus on our DL not me.  A wee bit over analyzing ever word I post here imo.

I trust Brown's opinion and value him as a local radio celebrity and generally find his content insightful and on point.  Not on this one  issue though.  I like to have a little fun on here.  I think you are taking this a little to seriously.

ModAdmin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 26, 2023, 12:32:03 AM
I think you are really stretching here.  We can agree to disagree.  You have presented zero specific opinions on our DL, other than agreeing with Brown.  What's your grade of our DL as a whole.  I say B+.  My only concern is our run D at times.  Lights out yesterday.

I'm not trying to insult Brown.
  He is paid to talk and share his opinion, which I believe has been debunked thus far based on the play of our DL, our stats and incredible record.

Not trying to twist anything.  Simply don't agree with his assessment.  I think you are diving a wee bit deep into a nothing burger.  Again best to focus on our DL not me.

You could have fooled me.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 26, 2023, 12:37:32 AM
You could have fooled me.
I am allowed to disagree with Brown on a single subject without being accused of insulting him.

I have been fine with our DL since day one.  He hasn't.  That about sums it up.

Sir Blue and Gold

Doug Brown is obviously knowledgeable but a couple things about that segment:

1 - He was quite surprised that the defensive line has a read on their interior stunts. He had no idea they were doing that and later seemed to be trying to understand why. He has been out of the game awhile.

2 - Later in the post-game, O'Shea said Lawson was playing through an injury that hampered his early season which is something that Brown wouldn't have known when he was making his early critiques.

Does Brown know a ton about evaluating defensive lineman? Yes. Is he now a reporter who may not have all the information? Also yes. It is positive he seems defensive line improvement though. That can only be good for us.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 26, 2023, 01:48:24 PM
Doug Brown is obviously knowledgeable but a couple things about that segment:

1 - He was quite surprised that the defensive line has a read on their interior stunts. He had no idea they were doing that and later seemed to be trying to understand why. He has been out of the game awhile.

2 - Later in the post-game, O'Shea said Lawson was playing through an injury that hampered his early season which is something that Brown wouldn't have known when he was making his early critiques.

Does Brown know a ton about evaluating defensive lineman? Yes. Is he now a reporter who may not have all the information? Also yes. It is positive he seems defensive line improvement though. That can only be good for us.
Some interesting insights there, thanks.

Blue In BC

I didn't read or hear exactly what Brown said. I was under the impression he was discussing not having a true 7th DL as a DI. I don't think there is a concern about our starters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 03:34:45 PM
I didn't read or hear exactly what Brown said. I was under the impression he was discussing not having a true 7th DL as a DI. I don't think there is a concern about our starters.
Early in the season and on a few different occasions he said our depth was weak.  Shared the same sediment on the forum about the quality and depth at this position.  He wasn't sold on Walker.  He was wrong thus far imo.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 03:34:45 PM

Ummm no. That's your concern but Doug Brown did not say anything about the number of defensive lineman dressed or share any concerns whatsoever around that "issue". He was simply talking about how, in his opinion, certain players have improved and asked Lawson to walk him through certain plays, which is how additional details on the interior reads came up.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 26, 2023, 04:15:16 PM
Ummm no. That's your concern but Doug Brown did not say anything about the number of defensive lineman dressed or share any concerns whatsoever around that "issue". He was simply talking about how, in his opinion, certain players have improved and asked Lawson to walk him through certain plays, which is how additional details on the interior reads came up.

Read the comment above yours. He said both. I suppose you could take that as overall depth including PR or AR or both.

That comment showed up in this or another string previously.

Add it's not JUST my comment. Others have said the same. You just seem to have a need to prove me wrong. Time for you to change your mission in life.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 09:27:48 PM
Read the comment above yours. He said both. I suppose you could take that as overall depth including PR or AR or both.

Add it's not JUST my comment. Others have said the same. You just seem to have a need to prove me wrong. Time for you to change your mission in life.

So, as of today. Lawson and Thomas, are playing much better. Walker has been rock solid, plus.  JJ and JW have been outstanding. Bennett is improving. Haba has been running at practice and had been looking pretty good for a 1st. year player. We also have a Canadian and American DTs on the PR. We also have the German wrecking ball still on the 6 game. Our DL is looking good. 

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on August 26, 2023, 09:57:06 PM
So, as of today. Lawson and Thomas, are playing much better. Walker has been rock solid, plus.  JJ and JW have been outstanding. Bennett is improving. Haba has been running at practice and had been looking pretty good for a 1st. year player. We also have a Canadian and American DTs on the PR. We also have the German wrecking ball still on the 6 game. Our DL is looking good. 
Sums it up well.  Brown seen weakness and we have only seen strength.  If we stay healthy and get a few faces back we will be dominate once again.  Go BLUE!!

bunker

Curious what they do with the DA spots once Haba is healthy. They need to use 2 DA spots on Sergio and a returner, and Cole has been a DA all season. Hard to believe Jackson survives as a DA, although stranger things have happened. Darby is a another possibility as a 6th Db/SAM. Bennet has played a bit better recently, but Haba was impressive in his short time on the field. Do they use Haba as a DA to go to 7 D lineman? Injuries could also be a factor going forward.

Pigskin

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 26, 2023, 10:24:25 PM
Sums it up well.  Brown seen weakness and we have only seen strength.  If we stay healthy and get a few faces back we will be dominate once again.  Go BLUE!!

Not what I said, and I disagree. Brown was spot on. This DL has improved a lot since the first 5-6 games of the season.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on August 26, 2023, 11:42:36 PM
Not what I said, and I disagree. Brown was spot on. This DL has improved a lot since the first 5-6 games of the season.
Brown wasn't spot on.  He was worried about our depth and pedigree at the position which ended up being a none issue.  We didn't add anyone, even lost a guy.  Our guys proved through their strong play that we had nothing to worry about.  Now they just have to prove it for the rest of the year. Our vets have played well, new faces have been reasonable and our role players stepped up.  We have rotated well.

Your original post summed up my feelings about the DL and provided evidence on why Brown was off base imo.

Agree we have improved as we went.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 09:27:48 PM

Seeing as you didn't hear the segment you can believe me or not. He never said we didn't have enough bodies in rotation on the defensive line.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 27, 2023, 12:38:07 AM
Seeing as you didn't hear the segment you can believe me or not. He never said we didn't have enough bodies in rotation on the defensive line.
He seams to be taking every angle possible to be supporting his view about too few DL and too many LBs.  I believe our roster decisions have been solid and all we do is win.

Once the season is over we will likely know how well we managed the roster and how our players held up on played.  So far so good!

Blue In BC

Yes. We'll be even better when we get Hansen back. He'll also help our ST's. I think Haba would be great to get back but that becomes a choice on what we can or want to do with our DI's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: bunker on August 26, 2023, 10:42:14 PM
Curious what they do with the DA spots once Haba is healthy. They need to use 2 DA spots on Sergio and a returner, and Cole has been a DA all season. Hard to believe Jackson survives as a DA, although stranger things have happened. Darby is a another possibility as a 6th Db/SAM. Bennet has played a bit better recently, but Haba was impressive in his short time on the field. Do they use Haba as a DA to go to 7 D lineman? Injuries could also be a factor going forward.

Yeah, it's a big question but new injuries could change the dynamic. Darby is a bit of odd situation. He's not starting and he's not a DI. He qualifies as a Nationalized American but I don't know they are doing that. Technically they don't have to, in theory he could replace Kramdi due to an injury or any DB.

However it is possible that they bump him once Haba and Grant return.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 12:31:44 AM
Brown wasn't spot on.  He was worried about our depth and pedigree at the position which ended up being a none issue.  We didn't add anyone, even lost a guy.  Our guys proved through their strong play that we had nothing to worry about.  Now they just have to prove it for the rest of the year. Our vets have played well, new faces have been reasonable and our role players stepped up.  We have rotated well.

Your original post summed up my feelings about the DL and provided evidence on why Brown was off base imo.

Agree we have improved as we went.

The season is only half over, can't predict it's all going to be smooth sailing through to the end of the year based on the first half because it probably won't be.  Important in the last half to preserve Jeffcoat, Jackson and Walker so they're fresh for the playoffs, Haba and Fox will have to return to the rotation at some point for that to happen. Risking the health of Jeffcoat is as bad as losing Grant for an extended period of time, without his contribution Willy is less than half as effective as he can be, and without a strong pass-rush the secondary usually falls to pieces. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 12:43:10 AM
He seams to be taking every angle possible to be supporting his view about too few DL and too many LBs.  I believe our roster decisions have been solid and all we do is win.

Once the season is over we will likely know how well we managed the roster and how our players held up on played.  So far so good!

You've never doubted any player or any coaches decision. You live in a world of where everything is sunshine and roses. Nice to be positive but you could add a smig of reality every now and again.

BTW, I never said we had too many LB's. My comments are soley a focus on a DL versus Mr Seal.

Here's one of many comments about Jackson from the other site. Maybe you should read that string.

On 2023-08-25 at 11:12 AM, Stickem said:

Jackson got a shot at offence and really didn't do too much on the play.....Seems he needs a lot of work....After his attempted run, went back to the bench,  looked like he was totally bagged, and was chuckin' up his lunch.....Looks like Osh is happy with him though

and needs tons of work as a DE....he has a bad get off...no snap anticipation and is basically flat footed as the oline is coming out of their stance.....I see why he doesn't get any meaningful defensive snaps...again good story and will put it on line for team in whatever capacity, but really is a waste of a DA spot, and to be quite frank a stupid roster move

EDIT: Regarding LB's, if Clements was healthy he'd be a more effective player as well. He is effective on ST's and defence. 
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

I debated the pros and cons of players all the time.  I have debated coaches decisions and roster moves.   I have been a big supporter of this group for many years but I am never shy to voice my opinion or criticism.  I don't live in a world where everything is sunshine and roses; I simply state my opinion on the players, coaches and management on here as it relates to the CFL.

We all have a role to play here and I value yours.  Our realities are based on our own views and we are all here to present and debate everything CFL.

I recall you mentioned that we had ten LBs in another post and figured that meant you were thinking we were dressing too many.  I thought your position was to dress a DL over Jackson.  I am sorry if I made incorrect assumptions.

I don't appreciate you making strong statements above that don't fully illustrate my role or how I post on here.  Yes I'm positive but I provide more than just that imo.  There is  small group on here that likes to go to the PJ is only positive argument when we get in a debate.  That stick gets old fast.  Let's focus on the ball club please.

There are some that share you view on Jackson taking a roster spot and some that are happy with management's decision on that.  This debate will continue.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 02:17:37 PM
I debated the pros and cons of players all the time.  I have debated coaches decisions and roster moves.   I have been a big supporter of this group for many years but I am never shy to voice my opinion or criticism.  I don't live in a world where everything is sunshine and roses; I simply state my opinion on the players, coaches and management on here as it relates to the CFL.

We all have a role to play here and I value yours.  Our realities are based on our own views and we are all here to present and debate everything CFL.

I recall you mentioned that we had ten LBs in another post and figured that meant you were thinking we were dressing too many.  I thought your position was to dress a DL over Jackson.  I am sorry if I made incorrect assumptions.

I don't appreciate you making strong statements above that don't fully illustrate my role or how I post on here.  Yes I'm positive but I provide more than just that imo.  There is  small group on here that likes to go to the PJ is only positive argument when we get in a debate.  That stick gets old fast.  Let's focus on the ball club please.

There are some that share you view on Jackson taking a roster spot and some that are happy with management's decision on that.  This debate will continue.

The problem is that you seem to be in the minority more often. Nothing wrong with being patient with a players development but that can be carried too far too soon. I suppose nothing really wrong with being in the minority a few times.

You might note your conversations in this string with Modadmin as an example.

I think you got confused about my LB views when I have targeted Briggs. It's not that he's a LB but he's really digressed in his play. Is there a better choice from our PR, possibly not. Only two 2023 draft choices and neither fit that particular bill. O'Shea said Briggs is a good leader and I don't doubt that. I also don't doubt for a second that he is a defensive liability.

Combining all those comments, if Clements was healthy he would be that extra asset on defence over Jackson or Briggs. Obviously there is a ratio aspect but I would then suggest Kelly might be added as an overall ratio replacement. He plays on ST's and live reps would beneficial.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 02:29:09 PM
The problem is that you seem to be in the minority more often. Nothing wrong with being patient with a players development but that can be carried too far too soon. I suppose nothing really wrong with being in the minority a few times.

You might note your conversations in this string with Modadmin as an example.  I think I have a pretty good track record of being right or close to it on patience with players, coaches and management.  Was sure the target years ago before we starting winning and got our cups.  My take on the Bombers has been very positive and consistent for many years.  Maybe I'm too high on Briggs but within his role I have really liked him and prefer consistency with our role players.  Doesn't surprise me he is a leader, just like with hockey so player are the glue in the room.

I think you got confused about my LB views when I have targeted Briggs. It's not that he's a LB but he's really digressed in his play. Is there a better choice from our PR, possibly not. Only two 2023 draft choices and neither fit that particular bill. O'Shea said Briggs is a good leader and I don't doubt that. I also don't doubt for a second that he is a defensive liability.

Combining all those comments, if Clements was healthy he would be that extra asset on defence over Jackson or Briggs. Obviously there is a ratio aspect but I would then suggest Kelly might be added as an overall ratio replacement. He plays on ST's and live reps would beneficial.
I rarely move with the herd and that at times makes me a target for arguments.  I did get mixed up with our LB Briggs chat and this one lol.

I would take Briggs over Clements but that's a tough one.  I do like Clements too and with more reps his ceiling is high.  Briggs is a steady know commodity, reached his ceiling early in his career.  I don't see Briggs as a liability but we have gone over that before.  I would take Clements over Jackson buy again close call.  Kelly I don't know enough about can you remind me?  Yup ratio is king.  Often these are not one to one options for roster spots.  Each week lots of moving parts.  I think we have benefited greatly from little changes to the roster week to week.  Wasn't that long ago some wanted changes on the OL, that crowd got quiet lol.

Modadmin and I rarely agree on much.  How she goes.  Doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong just seam to be Ying and yang with my views vs. some.  That's the strength of this place.  Everyone has their view points and way of interacting with others. 

I can be like sand paper sometimes mostly because I have an opinion / comment / counter on just about anything.  Depends on my mood.  My mental health is  not as steady as most peoples.  Have my ups and downs.  I also like a good debate and enjoy the back and forth battle.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 08:42:57 PM
I rarely move with the herd and that at times makes me a target for arguments.  I did get mixed up with our LB Briggs chat and this one lol.

I would take Briggs over Clements but that's a tough one.  I do like Clements too and with more reps his ceiling is high.  Briggs is a steady know commodity, reached his ceiling early in his career.  I don't see Briggs as a liability but we have gone over that before.  I would take Clements over Jackson buy again close call.  Kelly I don't know enough about can you remind me?  Yup ratio is king.  Often these are not one to one options for roster spots.  Each week lots of moving parts.  I think we have benefited greatly from little changes to the roster week to week.  Wasn't that long ago some wanted changes on the OL, that crowd got quiet lol.

Modadmin and I rarely agree on much.  How she goes.  Doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong just seam to be Ying and yang with my views vs. some.  That's the strength of this place.  Everyone has their view points and way of interacting with others. 

I can be like sand paper sometimes mostly because I have an opinion / comment / counter on just about anything.  Depends on my mood.  My mental health is  not as steady as most peoples.  Have my ups and downs.  I also like a good debate and enjoy the back and forth battle.

Briggs has the leadership advantage over Clement and the ratio aspect as well. With so few DI's it's not a direct choice between those two as an example.

I would suggest you watch Briggs and even Clement more closely to see who is in " chase mode " more often.

Kelly was the DB we picked at 15 in the 2023 draft.  He looked quick and played well on ST's in pre season. Another raw talent. There isn't really a need for another DB on the roster per se and there will be even less if Ford returns.

So depending on when and if we make some of those other changes, then Kelly might might get another look on the AR.  Roster shuffling is a domino effect and not always a direct replacement. So we agree on that point.

Just thinking out loud that a young faster player on ST's like Kelly might be an asset over someone like Briggs. If Clement is better than Briggs at LB it would off set 1 LB for 1 LB but also impacts ratio, hence domino.

Just checked 2022 stats and Ford had 10 ST's in 13 games. So that means I did have that impression of him being very good on ST's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Clements was having a pretty good season before he was injured. I thinking he would replace, Cole when he gets back.

ModAdmin

My final thought on PJ. You continually - in multiple threads - tell people they are wrong and to focus on the subject, not you. By doing that you are inviting people to do just that - focus on you. Perhaps keep your references to yourself out of it as well as dismissing other's views with a word you frequently like to use - "Nah". I honestly believe addressing those issues would help you and the forum.

Now back to Ricky Walker.  :)

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on August 27, 2023, 09:56:07 PM
Clements was having a pretty good season before he was injured. I thinking he would replace, Cole when he gets back.

Clement is a better defensive player at the moment. Cole has been better on ST's as far as I can tell. I do think Cole might have more upside but that won't necessarily keep him on the AR.

IIRC, Clement had an ankle injury so he could practice this week if healthy and be an option to return for game 13?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Hey PJ ,

Keep on rocking.
Having varied opinions makes us all stronger.

The players we are discussing, are all very good.
These Guys are all amazing athletes.

The guys that play pro football are extraordinary.
At this level, when given the chance they HAVE to make the play. 
And don?t forget, the guys they play against are getting paid.

On our top teams the players are guys who make their play the greater number of times.

Fun, fun, fun.