NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on August 07, 2023, 09:14:14 PM
https://3downnation.com/2023/08/07/new-york-jets-waive-former-cfl-quarterback-chris-streveler/

Will he head north now that he has achieved his eligibility for the NFL lifetime pension?   

The pension isn't much... cover your car payments... average is $43k, based on number of seasons, so he will be well below that average, and not until age 55...

Plus, he injured the thumb on his throwing hand...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

Strevler is only 28, really just coming into a QB's prime years. Would be interesting to see what he's like in the CFL now that he's had some seasoning and coaching for a few years.

Horseman

I am sure some other NFL team will pick him up, just based on last year's pre-season.

Horseman

Why is Henoc on the TSN panel? Is he not playing anymore?

theaardvark

Quote from: Horseman on August 07, 2023, 09:39:12 PM
Why is Henoc on the TSN panel? Is he not playing anymore?

He's on Toronto's 6 game injured list... He went on June 17, and can't practice for 4 games... so he should be able to start practicing after the Bye if he is ready to...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: Horseman on August 07, 2023, 09:34:35 PM
I am sure some other NFL team will pick him up, just based on last year's pre-season.
historically if you get cut from the Jets, Lions or Browns your only option is back to the CFL
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on August 07, 2023, 09:13:32 PM
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jets-waive-chris-streveler

Streveler, 28, had been dealing with a thumb injury after his hand hit a helmet of a Cleveland player during last week?s Hall of Fame Game. He was 1-of-7 passing in that game for 9 yards with an interception. He also had a 7-yard rush in his 18 snaps.

1 for 7 is not a good preseason outing...
No it?s not, especially given the time he?s spent down there. Strevy has done very well for himself, but he always was a short yardage hard running Qb. Glad he?s got his NFL pension, thing have went about as well as can be e pecked for him, he?s just not Qb material.

Horseman

Quote from: theaardvark on August 07, 2023, 09:45:12 PM
He's on Toronto's 6 game injured list... He went on June 17, and can't practice for 4 games... so he should be able to start practicing after the Bye if he is ready to...

Okay, thank you.

dd

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on August 07, 2023, 09:46:42 PM
historically if you get cut from the Jets, Lions or Browns your only option is back to the CFL
Ya, when you?re cut from the bottom dwellers of the league, the door is closing on you, and when it does, I hope he does opt to come north and continue playing as he was very entertaining as a short yardage Qb, I don?t think he cuts it up here as a starter though

TecnoGenius

Now's like the worst time for him to be cut from a WPG standpoint...

I think he's done in the NFL.  I'm shocked he lasted this long.

The CFL is in dire need of can-start-now QBs and he's better than at least half the 2nd string guys currently starting.  This is bad for WPG because we're set at #2 and #3, and don't really have a need; whilst many other teams not only have a bad starting QB, but they have zero capable depth.  That means there should be a bidding war and there's no way we can (or want to) compete in that.

That means Strevie likely suits up for a rival team, and that's a bummer.  I hope it's an E team.

The only possible way we could sign him is if we can Prukop (what would that cost us in sunk cost?), and it would have to happen soon-ish, right (vet cut deadline)?  That's assuming Strev even wants to be a SY/backup rather than a starter, and that other teams won't dangle $350k full-season-equivalent in front of him, which is what he's probably worth (at minimum).

Then we'd also have a major QB controversy if Zach gets injured...

Zach/Strev/Brown would be the best QB lineup in the league by miles.  It would be 2019 all over again.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Yeah, I want him back but other teams will pay more than we can. Maybe he holds out a while and comes back for just a few games? And maybe we can make that work for this year. I am not optimistic though.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 01, 2023, 09:02:06 PM
I doubt Sankey would be a possibility here until Biggie retires.  With Wilson back there's no space for him.  I also don't see the $$ for him.

Why would we spend money on a LBer when our real need is DT??  And maybe backup DE.

Sankey was very popular in SSK and I could see them making a play, just having that name in the hopper to be "coming back soon" would boost fan morale.

This may come to a massive shock to everyone in the CFL world but the Bombers DL group leads the league in sacks with 22. BC with superhero Betts is only at 19.
Our DT's have racked up 7 sacks.

I'm curious to how a defence would look with true LB's at WIL, MAC and SAM. Sankey, Bighill and Wilson? That would probably shut down any hope of running the ball and force teams to passing the ball.
Chances are Sankey ends up playing for a non contender.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Jesse

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on August 07, 2023, 10:20:57 PM
This may come to a massive shock to everyone in the CFL world but the Bombers DL group leads the league in sacks with 22. BC with superhero Betts is only at 19.
Our DT's have racked up 7 sacks.

I'm curious to how a defence would look with true LB's at WIL, MAC and SAM. Sankey, Bighill and Wilson? That would probably shut down any hope of running the ball and force teams to passing the ball.
Chances are Sankey ends up playing for a non contender.

Generally speaking, that's the opposite of what you'd want to do.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

He's hurt, everyone.

This is still a next year scenario. And I still don't see any world in which he comes to Winnipeg.
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp