NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: LXTSN on August 02, 2023, 01:49:17 PM
I didn't look deep enough so you are probably right. Middle linebackers do seem to be pretty loaded this year.
That being said, I would say Ottawa, Argos and especially Montreal could use him more than us.
If he isn't too worried about fit, he would probably lean towards going back to Saskatchewan right?

Toronto still have Henoc on the roster... OTT just got Santos-Knox back and MTL has Williams...

Getting Sankey into this dressing room makes us younger with a succession plan for AB4.  And really helps solidify the front 7.  No comparable DL out there that could help more...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 02, 2023, 03:35:21 PM
Toronto still have Henoc on the roster... OTT just got Santos-Knox back and MTL has Williams...

Getting Sankey into this dressing room makes us younger with a succession plan for AB4.  And really helps solidify the front 7.  No comparable DL out there that could help more...

Exactly. However as a veteran he probably signs a 1 year deal. Even a 2 year deal gives him an NFL option window. So he might not be back on any CFL team or the one he signs for a deal in 2023.

Bighill is under contract for 2024 but if we did in fact have Sankey in 2024 then Bighill could see less reps and qualify as a Nationalized American.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 02, 2023, 03:38:07 PM
Exactly. However as a veteran he probably signs a 1 year deal. Even a 2 year deal gives him an NFL option window. So he might not be back on any CFL team or the one he signs for a deal in 2023.

Bighill is under contract for 2024 but if we did in fact have Sankey in 2024 then Bighill could see less reps and qualify as a Nationalized American.

The new guaranteed money option in year 2 is a factor in signing multiyear deals.

Retention, though, is something the WFC specializes in.  Get a guy in the room, and he wants to stay.  Lawler came back, Bailey woiuldn't leave, Bighill took way less cash, I ams sure that once Sankey gets the Bombers in his system he will stay...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 02, 2023, 03:51:35 PM
The new guaranteed money option in year 2 is a factor in signing multiyear deals.

Retention, though, is something the WFC specializes in.  Get a guy in the room, and he wants to stay.  Lawler came back, Bailey woiuldn't leave, Bighill took way less cash, I ams sure that once Sankey gets the Bombers in his system he will stay...

That was true in 2023 and he choose to become a free agent and play in the XFL. Can't be sure he doesn't do that again wherever he chooses to sign. He's still waiting until NFL mid pre season as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Sankey is a quality player but the fact is he just finished a 10 game plus 2 playoff game season. Expecting 10 more plus playoff(s) is a big ask.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on August 02, 2023, 04:10:50 PM
Sankey is a quality player but the fact is he just finished a 10 game plus 2 playoff game season. Expecting 10 more plus playoff(s) is a big ask.

Not so much if he's the rotation player as a DI and not a primary starter.  Bombers are playing game 8 this week. At best Sankey wouldn't play until week 10 if he had signed this week. So he wouldn't be playing an extra 10 games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: theaardvark on August 02, 2023, 03:35:21 PM

I'd for sure take Sankey over Williams and Santos-Knox.
Maybe that's a hot take.

I would be 100% on board for chasing Sankey, I'm just not sure that it would make sense for him.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 02, 2023, 06:01:33 PM
I'd for sure take Sankey over Williams and Santos-Knox.
Maybe that's a hot take.

I would be 100% on board for chasing Sankey, I'm just not sure that it would make sense for him.

I'd take Santos-Knox if he was available. He's proven he can play at WIL or MLB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

The #Jets have waived QB Chris Streveler.

Ridermania

How many more games does he need for his NFL pension? 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on August 07, 2023, 07:31:21 PM
how long is the guy gonna ride that gravey train?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 07, 2023, 07:31:21 PM

Interesting. I wonder if he's close to the end of the NFL dream? IIRC he's earned his NFL pension as of last year.   There might be more CFL interest now with so many teams having QB injuries.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Dave Naylor:

Led to believe the injury means he?s not an option for @CFL teams in the short term this season. A likely @NFL injury settlement to come before exploring other options. But would surprise me if he comes to the @CFL in ?23. #CFL
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jets-waive-chris-streveler

Streveler, 28, had been dealing with a thumb injury after his hand hit a helmet of a Cleveland player during last week?s Hall of Fame Game. He was 1-of-7 passing in that game for 9 yards with an interception. He also had a 7-yard rush in his 18 snaps.

1 for 7 is not a good preseason outing...

Lincoln Locomotive

https://3downnation.com/2023/08/07/new-york-jets-waive-former-cfl-quarterback-chris-streveler/

Will he head north now that he has achieved his eligibility for the NFL lifetime pension?   
Bomber fan for life