NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Yup, I?d be all in on Sankey.

Have him, Biggie, and Wilson as our backers and we got something special happening.
My wife is amazing!

Nic16

3DN states Sankey is waiting until after NFL mid-preseason - Aug 20th. That would likely take him to LD wkend before he would see a CFL game. At that point the BB would have 7 games left and KW should have banked enough cap savings to add a much needed component to our LB corps. It would be absolutely delicious to see the Riders 2023 DMVP in blue and gold at the LDC.

MOS knows the value of a MLB, so hopefully he is pushing KW to do more than kick tires on Sankey.

Biggie-Sankey-Wilson would certainly keep Kelly, Ouellette and Harris from running wild on a cold November in Hamilton.

bunker

I'm all in on Sankey. But at 6'1 245 can he play WIL? Move him to MLB, and AB slides out to WIL? I'm worried Kyrie will not be the same player once he's back, Achilles are tough. Hope I'm wrong.

TecnoGenius

I doubt Sankey would be a possibility here until Biggie retires.  With Wilson back there's no space for him.  I also don't see the $$ for him.

Why would we spend money on a LBer when our real need is DT??  And maybe backup DE.

Sankey was very popular in SSK and I could see them making a play, just having that name in the hopper to be "coming back soon" would boost fan morale.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 01, 2023, 09:02:06 PM
I doubt Sankey would be a possibility here until Biggie retires.  With Wilson back there's no space for him.  I also don't see the $$ for him.

Why would we spend money on a LBer when our real need is DT??  And maybe backup DE.

Sankey was very popular in SSK and I could see them making a play, just having that name in the hopper to be "coming back soon" would boost fan morale.

We'd spend the money because he's potentially available. There isn't a top quality veteran DE or DT available at the moment.

We've had an extra LB dressed as a DI all season. We've lost Clements and Gauthier for an extended period. It's not unusual for the Bombers to use a 34 defence at times. He'd fit in that perfectly and could spell Bighill or Wilson as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: The Zipp on August 01, 2023, 04:31:03 PM
LB Darnell Sankey has received his release from the #XFL & is now pursuing
@cfl
options. Was a tackling machine his last 2 CFL seasons 218 tackles with #Riders & #Stamps.
@CFLonTSN

I would like to see Sankey in blue&gold but I dont think it gonna happen

LXTSN

Sankey will not happen and he wouldn't be a depth peice, he would be a full time starter on at least 6 out of the 9 teams in the CFL.
We can't afford to pay for 2 elite middle linebackers

pjrocksmb

Quote from: LXTSN on August 01, 2023, 10:03:37 PM
Sankey will not happen and he wouldn't be a depth peice, he would be a full time starter on at least 6 out of the 9 teams in the CFL.
Agree

Pete

Think about using Kyrie at Sam, Bigs and Sankey at lb! 

NewBlue

Quote from: bunker on August 01, 2023, 09:01:41 PM
I'm all in on Sankey. But at 6'1 245 can he play WIL? Move him to MLB, and AB slides out to WIL? I'm worried Kyrie will not be the same player once he's back, Achilles are tough. Hope I'm wrong.

this is what I'm wondering....

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on August 01, 2023, 10:03:37 PM

Name one team that isn't happy with their MLB? I've checked the rosters of all the teams and don't see a need. There are lots of very good LB's in the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Elks jones isn't happy with anyone right now. Perhaps Montreal would move Avery Williams to strong side

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 01, 2023, 10:08:16 PM
Think about using Kyrie at Sam, Bugs and Sankey at lb

Hmm, sounds crazy but you know what, it might actually work.  Though Wilson would have to have done some SAM before: not sure he has.  He certainly has the speed.  A lot might hinge on why Darby has been demoted (my bet is it's only temporary).  We'll find out a lot more when the depth chart comes out in a few hours.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on August 02, 2023, 01:44:57 AM
Elks jones isn't happy with anyone right now. Perhaps Montreal would move Avery Williams to strong side

A new LB isn't going to help the Elks and theirs are pretty good. I suppose Montreal might be an option but is it a need or weakness? Als don't have a LB on any IR.

Conversely Bombers have 2 on IR and Beeksma possibly being moved to IR this week. Our WIL hasn't played in a year and we aren't happy with our SAM.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 02, 2023, 01:19:34 AM
Name one team that isn't happy with their MLB? I've checked the rosters of all the teams and don't see a need. There are lots of very good LB's in the CFL.
I didn't look deep enough so you are probably right. Middle linebackers do seem to be pretty loaded this year.
That being said, I would say Ottawa, Argos and especially Montreal could use him more than us.
If he isn't too worried about fit, he would probably lean towards going back to Saskatchewan right?