Edmonton Elks promote Jarious Jackson to offensive coordinator

Started by ModAdmin, July 31, 2023, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on July 31, 2023, 05:04:21 PM
Yep. Just find out what play McAdoo would call in a given situation and then do something else.

McAdoo was the brain behind SSK being #1 in W in 2019 and nearly winning the WDF...  He's the king of the dink & dunk, but also calls good run plays.  I'd say he's middle of the pack for OC's.  I don't think EDM's problems are all (or even mostly) McAdoo.  But Jackson should be at least a bit better.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 31, 2023, 07:42:31 PM
Not looking past BC (OK it is) but I DO NOT want to be the team the streak is broken against....

You better believe it!  I'm pretty sure we'll be safe in that regard, though.

I think they switch to Ford.  The "running QB" thing is winning the league this year, and Ford is a shifty, fast little guy.  It'll take teams a few games of film to adjust.  Also, he's NAT right?  So that helps on the ratio with an extra DI, right?  Bonus.

I think we've all seen as much of Doege-coin as we want?  I'm pretty sure he's no the answer.  Maybe after more years as the dev guy, but not now.
Never go full Rider!

dd

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on August 01, 2023, 03:51:24 AM
Hey, we lost to Ottawa, who are on par with the elks,

We lost to OTT the way we lost to MTL last year (or was it '21?): we got up big and both O & D went prevent thinking there's no way the garbage QB and team can possibly come back from it.  It was literally the same game, with the same result.

If we don't turn to such a strategy, we don't lose those games.

It's ok to get these mistakes out of our system in-season.  We just need to make sure we play the smartest ball in the GC vs TOR.  (Well, and vs BC in the WDF.)
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 01, 2023, 03:48:19 AM
You better believe it!  I'm pretty sure we'll be safe in that regard, though.

I think they switch to Ford.  The "running QB" thing is winning the league this year, and Ford is a shifty, fast little guy.  It'll take teams a few games of film to adjust.  Also, he's NAT right?  So that helps on the ratio with an extra DI, right?  Bonus.

I think we've all seen as much of Doege-coin as we want?  I'm pretty sure he's no the answer.  Maybe after more years as the dev guy, but not now.

Nope. No extra DI. He counts as a Canadian starter in the group of 7. However that only allows having an import start elsewhere on offence. IE: If Collaros was a Canadian we could start an import RB as that switch.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

A butt covering meant to buy time. Seen this movie before, Reinebold cut loose his right hand man Paopao as an example we can relate to here. It's still possibly an 0-18 team. Maybe they win 2. Jones thought he had his QB in Corn Dawg but it turned out not, now he is scrambling. This does not get turned around this year and with the shortage of quality starting QB's around the league it could be a long while.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

The Zipp

Quote from: Waffler on August 01, 2023, 02:00:31 PM
A butt covering meant to buy time. Seen this movie before, Reinebold cut loose his right hand man Paopao as an example we can relate to here. It's still possibly an 0-18 team. Maybe they win 2. Jones thought he had his QB in Corn Dawg but it turned out not, now he is scrambling. This does not get turned around this year and with the shortage of quality starting QB's around the league it could be a long while.

it is going to be a journey for sure..at least in the NFL if you stink this bad and haven't traded away your future picks your pretty much guaranteed a top 3 pick and there should be a QB option for you (no guarantee they are any good) but at least you have a chance.  CFL is tougher as you need to find a QB and that is more trial and error as we are seeing now.  Corny was given lots of time and he just has some accuracy issues that may not get better - even with a better surrounding cast.

bomb squad

I think it?s time for Edmonton to move on from Cornelius. It?s just not going to work at this time, for whatever reason. I haven?t given up on him yet however. A change of scenery could be what he needs.

theaardvark

Will have to see if the Esk O gets a "dead cat bounce" from changing up the playcaller.  They might, so our D has to be extra hard core on shutting them down.  If they start Ford, we definately need a spy on him.  No repeat of that Crummy game against OTT...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Norm W

At the end of day the Elks are comprised of a bunch of pro football players, they didn't get there because they can't play ball, QB's included.

Football in my opinion is a true team sport. You absolutely have to work as a unit to be successful. You can usually get away with a couple to three guys missing their assignment on any given play, operative word is usually. The dominate team's have very few missed assignments occur on any given play. You only have to glance at an offensive playbook to grasp the idea that every play is designed and drawn up to achieve a successful outcome or certain goal, if each "O" gets to the spot on the chalkboard as designed and did what it was asked to do... bingo! However the other side gets a vote in the outcome too... physical ability, film work, blind luck, they all factor on the "X" side.

Morale of my story? Sometimes it just doesn't come together, thus the saying "On any given Sunday". A bunch of pro athletes that haven't done much winning should always be considered a very dangerous opponent.        
No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire :)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on August 01, 2023, 02:44:48 PM
I think it?s time for Edmonton to move on from Cornelius. It?s just not going to work at this time, for whatever reason. I haven?t given up on him yet however. A change of scenery could be what he needs.

That's my thinking too.  He's been badly let down by coaches and coordinators, and team mates.  He's not in a place where he can succeed.  Of course we could be wrong, but that will become apparent if he sucks as bad on another team.  If guys like Dom Davis got so many tries to start on different teams, it's pretty much guaranteed Corny will get another chance somewhere.

Quote from: Norm W on August 01, 2023, 05:51:39 PM
Morale of my story? Sometimes it just doesn't come together, thus the saying "On any given Sunday". A bunch of pro athletes that haven't done much winning should always be considered a very dangerous opponent.        

Ya, EDM's troubles are with headspace and gel.  And now morale.  Pre-season, on paper I think they looked better than MTL and SSK and even CGY.  Go back and look at the week 1 charts.  But yet here we are and SSK hanging in there and MTL looking pretty good.  CGY is having issues, but still looking better than EDM.  It's a strange sport as so much has nothing to do with individual roster talent.
Never go full Rider!