Pigrome

Started by Austin85, July 24, 2023, 03:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

Bombers made a mistake cutting this guy. He is going to be good.

The Zipp

Oh well. 

We shall see.

Sir Blue and Gold

I think all you can really say about Pigrome is that he's super athletic. Hard to draw any other conclusions because we haven't seen him play much. Every QB in the CFL has the tools to succeed, but few do. There is a lot more to it than hitting a fade in pre-season or running around against backups. We'll see. I don't know how anyone could possibly be sold.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 24, 2023, 12:59:14 PM
I think all you can really say about Pigrome is that he's super athletic. Hard to draw any other conclusions because we haven't seen him play much. Every QB in the CFL has the tools to succeed, but few do. There is a lot more to it than hitting a fade in pre-season or running around against backups. We'll see. I don't know how anyone could possibly be sold.

+1
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

I personally wouldn't have released him for Prukop - based on information that I have - no idea if there were other reasons that we're not aware of.

But I definitely don't see the superstar that some made him out to be in preseason, that was laughable.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 24, 2023, 12:59:14 PM

Disagree, even a blind monkey can see Pigrome has exceptional athletic talent, you don't throw a diamond away just because you don't know quite know how to make use of it.  Compare him to Streveler, not the most polished QB that ever showed up at a TC but he had raw athletic abilities that could be planned for and used effectively within an offensive game plan to creatively diversify an attack.  Same with Pigrome, Mike O'Shea gave away a Maserati and went out and bought a used Plymouth, just because he didn't want to bother opening up the owner's manual.  I suspect it was LaPo that saw the potential, recruited and went to bat for Strev. ensuring a spot for him on the team.

A lot of stumbling going on this year between roster management and cuts, also 1/3 through the season and no sign yet of the 3rd D QB play package Walters announced during the off-season. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 24, 2023, 03:50:11 PM
Disagree, even a blind monkey can see Pigrome has exceptional athletic talent, you don't throw a diamond away just because you don't know quite know how to make use of it.  Compare him to Streveler, not the most polished QB that ever showed up at a TC but he had raw athletic abilities that could be planned for and used effectively within an offensive game plan to creatively diversify an attack.  Same with Pigrome, Mike O'Shea gave away a Maserati and went out and bought a used Plymouth, just because he didn't want to bother opening up the owner's manual.  I suspect it was LaPo that saw the potential, recruited and went to bat for Strev. ensuring a spot for him on the team.

A lot of stumbling going on this year between roster management and cuts, also 1/3 through the season and no sign yet of the 3rd D QB play package Walters announced during the off-season. 

Athletic talent is always a good starting point. OTOH if he's dumber than a post he'd be bound for failure. I'm not suggesting that about Pigrome but if athletic talent guaranteed success than finding a very good player would be easy.  Not every successful player has exceptional athletic talent.

Football IQ rules. Work ethic rules.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

A prospect that showed well and its great he is back in the league.  He will get more opportunity there and it's better for the league this way.  I liked him.  I also like the stability that Prukop brings.  I hope he gets more reps.  We can always try to land him later as needed!

theaardvark

We have no idea how Pigrome was in the room, Or if his demotion from short yardage affected his demeanor.  

We released him because Prokup is a known entity and already had his packages in our O.  

We released Leggs to take on Castillo, because while one may have a long future ahead of him, he had his struggles, and we went with the known quantity, who is being outkicked by Leggs at the moment.  (see also Paredes).

Yo make decisions based on what the team needs today.  When all things are equal, you can make the future part of the equation.  But, when he was released, Piggy had no place on the team.  Whine all you want about the future, but if we kept every potential future "good one", we'd lose every game because we need players today.  
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: theaardvark on July 24, 2023, 04:53:26 PM
We have no idea how Picrome was in the room, Or if his demotion from short yardage affected his demeanor.  

We released him because Prokup is a known entity and already had his packages in our O.  

We released Leggs to take on Castillo, because while one may have a long future ahead of him, he had his struggles, and we went with the known quantity, who is being outkicked by Leggs at the moment.  (see also Paredes).

Yo make decisions based on what the team needs today.  When all things are equal, you can make the future part of the equation.  But, when he was released, Piggy had no place on the team.  Whine all you want about the future, but if we kept every potential future "good one", we'd lose every game because we need players today.  
Agree all but I like to plan for the future as well but you can see why they did these moves.  I wish both well and believe that both have a future in this league.  Leggs will continue to develop and has the right passport.  Pigrome needs to prove he can throw in regular season but we know he can run.

FYI you have a typo in his name above.

Blue In BC

Time will tell. Many 3rd string QB's hardly ever get on the field. Barring injury ahead of them, few will end up starting any game or even play in garbage time. The reports are that the team didn't even offer a PR spot to him so there must be a reason. Like any decision, a reason could prove to be an error in the long run.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: pjrocksmb on July 24, 2023, 04:51:04 PM
A prospect that showed well and its great he is back in the league.  He will get more opportunity there and it's better for the league this way.  I liked him.  I also like the stability that Prukop brings.  I hope he gets more reps.  We can always try to land him later as needed!
He made all his short yardage plays for Ottawa and nearly broke one....he made one against us too.   On his first two attempts for us he was stuffed at the line and I don't think even  Streveler would have made it.  what surprised me was not giving him another shot at redeeming himself and instead they risked Brown as our #2 guy getting injured.   Maybe something else was going on but they sure dumped him like a hot potato after two plays.   I understand why they let him go....I just didn't like that he never got much of a chance.  Ironically Prukop was also stuffed twice on short yardage and turned the ball over on the second one.....so yeah he's not exactly lighting it up however I seriously think our O-Line is part of the problem.   That's 4 stuffs on short yardage in two games!!   How many times were we stuffed last season on similar plays?    Likely not more than once or twice in the entire season.....

I'm glad he landed in Ottawa and has been given opportunities.....MOS may rue the day he let him go for Prukop who will likely never be more than what he is now.....a 3rd string short yardage QB who can throw on occasion.
Bomber fan for life

pjrocksmb

Our OL and schemes will adjust and do better.  But yes concerns remain until we get 10 sneaks in a row like the old days.

Prukop knows our offense and once he is back up to speed and a few more games under his belt he will get a package or two.  He will pay off, Piggy T should have been given a couple more weeks but timing was wrong for him with Prukop becoming available.  Timing is important in life and sports.  Right place, right time and things can really happen.  Loom at Crum.  Paredes a great example and Leggs might be another.

Agree we don't know the whole story here.

blue_gold_84

Wasn't Pigrome released the same day Prukop was reacquired?

I can understand why that happened. Familiarity tends to matter more than potential*, especially in a backup/specific usage role.

What's also worth noting is Pigrome remained unsigned for the better part of two weeks until the RedBlacks ran into QB depth issues.

* I'm sure the coaching staff has better insight than any fan does
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

bunker

Coaching staff knows Prukop well, and saw Pigrome throughout camp, preseason and a game. They made their decision, they likely know best and it makes sense to me. Prukop has generally been money on 3rd and 1, and very good at getting 3-5 yards on second and short. Pigrome was not doing great on short yardage, and was all about potential on a team that already has a defined #1 and #2 QB.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 24, 2023, 07:46:02 PM
How many times were we stuffed last season on similar plays?    Likely not more than once or twice in the entire season.....

I watch SY plays with great zeal and attention since I got back into Bomber-watching.  I just love the sneak.  Maybe my favorite part of the O.

The master was The Feve (Le Fevour), who I'm pretty sure made 100% of his SY.  Strev missed 2, if I'm not mistaken, but blowing up teams on 2nd & 1 several times was worth the failures on 3rd.  McGuire blew 2 I think.  Marve missed maybe 1-2?

WPG is exceptionally good on 3rd & 1 going back to Marve.

Feve is my all-time fave SY guy, even more than Strev.  Strev could kill you down the field, but Feve would plow you for that yard every time and the D's might as well just step aside and give him that yard.  Plus, that awesome story that OL guy once told about soft-spoken Feve blowing up in their face taking total control.

As for recent guys, Pigrome blew 2 for 2.  Brown has blown a couple in very few attempts.  Prukop has blown 2 now, in many attempts?  But Prukop does provide a "Strev-lite" pass threat on X & 1.  Just make sure it's not a deep one in SSK in -15C windchill...
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 24, 2023, 08:28:06 PM
Wasn't Pigrome released the same day Prukop was reacquired?

I can understand why that happened. Familiarity tends to matter more than potential*, especially in a backup/specific usage role.

What's also worth noting is Pigrome remained unsigned for the better part of two weeks until the RedBlacks ran into QB depth issues.

* I'm sure the coaching staff has better insight than any fan does
Yes I believe he was signed and release same-day

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 25, 2023, 06:45:33 AM

As for recent guys, Pigrome blew 2 for 2.  Brown has blown a couple in very few attempts.  Prukop has blown 2 now, in many attempts? 

Since you are the SY guy, how do you feel about the push of this year's o-line? Have the recent failure to converts been on the QB or o-line in your view?
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Waffler on July 25, 2023, 02:14:23 PM
Since you are the SY guy, how do you feel about the push of this year's o-line? Have the recent failure to converts been on the QB or o-line in your view?
What was worrying was our initial drive against Edmonton was stuffed on a 3rd and short.   Not a great start to the game.   The next 3rd and short situation was botched by Prukop and we lost the ball on that one as well.   Looking at the O-Line we didn't get much of a push on either of those two attempts and both were very early in the game.    I can't recall that happening on back to back short yardage attempts....other than the goal line stand where Pigrome failed to convert on both tries.    Last year we were virtually automatic on 3rd and short.....this year not so much.   

That being said Pigrome converted all of his 3rd and short situations for the Red Blacks......and Prukop since joining us has had difficulty as well.   So to me, the problem isn't as much the QBs....it's our O-Line which has been inconsistent as they also have looked good at times?   Hmmmm??
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on July 25, 2023, 02:14:23 PM

Good question!  It's so hard to tell.  A few thoughts:

1. Since WPG has been so good at the sneak since Marve days, and our Marve and Feve OL's were sometimes of iffy quality, one would have to assign more onus to the QB.  If OL was paramount, then Marve & Feve wouldn't have been as successful as they were.  (Though Marve/Feve may have benefited from the seasons we had Bond as IMP RG.)

2. I think SY failures are up league-wide this year.  Maybe a stats guy could check, but that is my gut impression.  We've seen many teams fail.  It's not as automatic as it felt, say, 5 years ago.  I recall back then you'd just expect a team to make the sneak and it was a big deal when they failed.  If true, this could maybe be an indication that DL/DT performance has increased league-wide.  Or maybe the DLs have found new tactics that snuff the sneak.  For instance, I've seen a lot more edge guys make it to the QB to stop the 2nd push.

3. I think the OL is a big part of the initial push/attempt but it's up to the quality/talent of the QB to make any extra push if required: to spin off contact, or make another push or leap, or extend the arms, etc.  That is where experience or raw determination of the QB could really come into play.

If Prukop blew 2 the other night then I think he has doubled his overall Bomber X&1 failures, which is kind of crummy from a stat point of view and now puts him below all of Marve, Feve, Strev, McGuire.  However, since he just came back, I'll personally give him a mulligan and wait to see what he does for the rest of the year.  I'm not panicking.
Never go full Rider!