Mauldin down in practice

Started by The Zipp, July 20, 2023, 05:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Ottawa Redblacks? DE Lorenzo Mauldin IV named game-time decision vs. Stampeders: The Ottawa Redblacks may have narrowly avoided disaster ahead of their matchup with the Calgary Stampeders on Sunday

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2023, 01:33:18 PM
Several teams may have interest but it may be at different levels. If he signs somewhere he may look at location and probability of playing time and team success etc. He will pick a top level team.

Lions already excluded themselves and have no need at the moment, I don't think the Argos need him. Winnipeg, Riders, Stamps and maybe the Als might be in the mix.

I don't see a bidding war happening.

Argos are in on Lemon too as they lost 3 D-linemen recently, you'd never know it from last nights game as a few backups looked pretty good, especially Brinkman. 

Just checking Wikipedia to see if Lemon ever won a Cup, he has twice, but he's played on an amazing number of different teams.  He came into the league with the Bombers in 2011, since that time he's jumped ship to other CFL teams 12 more times, that has to beat Kevin Glenn out for team changes.  Add to that, in between CFL clubs he's also played for 5 teams in other leagues including 2 short stints with NFL teams in 2015.  Talk about transient, I doubt he unpacks his suitcase when he arrives in a new town or bothers to learn teammates names, probably not much of a FIFO guy, more of a mercenary.

bunker

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2023, 04:40:24 PM
Argos are in on Lemon too as they lost 3 D-linemen recently, you'd never know it from last nights game as a few backups looked pretty good, especially Brinkman. 

Just checking Wikipedia to see if Lemon ever won a Cup, he has twice, but he's played on an amazing number of different teams.  He came into the league with the Bombers in 2011, since that time he's jumped ship to other CFL teams 12 more times, that has to beat Kevin Glenn out for team changes.  Add to that, in between CFL clubs he's also played for 5 teams in other leagues including 2 short stints with NFL teams in 2015.  Talk about transient, I doubt he unpacks his suitcase when he arrives in a new town or bothers to learn teammates names, probably not much of a FIFO guy, more of a mercenary.

Brinkman looked very good. They have done a good job scouting lately, and have good depth on their D-line. They also designated Ormilade as the nationalized American, allowing him to rotate in as a DE for their national DEs. Something we don't seem to understand or pay much attention to.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bunker on July 22, 2023, 05:55:02 PM
Brinkman looked very good. They have done a good job scouting lately, and have good depth on their D-line. They also designated Ormilade as the nationalized American, allowing him to rotate in as a DE for their national DEs. Something we don't seem to understand or pay much attention to.

Argos have done a great job building up their team over the last 3 years, just wondering who the brains behind Argo recruitment and team building is, could it be Pinball?  They have a small Football Ops. staff and not much in the way of a scouting staff unless they continued to employ John Murphy as a consultant on the sly after he was fired in 2021.  Incidentally Murphy is expected to return to the Argos front office next season, so I suspect his firing was little more than a public relations gesture.

President Bill Manning
General Manager Michael Clemons
Vice President Business Operations Chris Shewfelt
Assistant General Manager Vince Magri
Director of Football Operations, National Scout Alex Russell
Director, Video Jon Magri
Director, Finance Linda Davis

bunker

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2023, 06:39:23 PM
Argos have done a great job building up their team over the last 3 years, just wondering who the brains behind Argo recruitment and team building is, could it be Pinball?  They have a small Football Ops. staff and not much in the way of a scouting staff unless they continued to employ John Murphy as a consultant on the sly after he was fired in 2021.  Incidentally Murphy is expected to return to the Argos front office next season, so I suspect his firing was little more than a public relations gesture.

President Bill Manning
General Manager Michael Clemons
Vice President Business Operations Chris Shewfelt
Assistant General Manager Vince Magri
Director of Football Operations, National Scout Alex Russell
Director, Video Jon Magri
Director, Finance Linda Davis

Someone is unearthing quality players. Coxie is another one. Finding quality players on entry level deals frees you up to snag good free agents like Ormilade. We do find some great young players also, like Schoen, but I can't help feeling we've taken a step back in that area since Ringmaiden left for BC.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bunker on July 22, 2023, 06:52:13 PM
Someone is unearthing quality players. Coxie is another one. Finding quality players on entry level deals frees you up to snag good free agents like Ormilade. We do find some great young players also, like Schoen, but I can't help feeling we've taken a step back in that area since Ringmaiden left for BC.

Argos are also benefitting from Chad Kelly's ELC contract this season, which they won't have next year as he'll be as good as gone, like the wild goose in winter.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2023, 07:45:00 PM
Argos are also benefitting from Chad Kelly's ELC contract this season, which they won't have next year as he'll be as good as gone, like the wild goose in winter.

I doubt he leaves the Argos but I even more doubt he has a shot in the NFL any longer. Too much baggage.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2023, 08:52:14 PM
I doubt he leaves the Argos but I even more doubt he has a shot in the NFL any longer. Too much baggage.
Agree

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2023, 08:52:14 PM
He will not make any notice in the NFL.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2023, 01:33:18 PM
I don't see a bidding war happening.

SSK just lost some big DL, didn't they?  Riderfans were talking about it and also mentioning phoning Lemon.  The teams that can use him are piling up.  And the other teams will be more desperate, so I'd peg the chance of Lemon coming to WPG at 0%.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 25, 2023, 05:20:42 AM
SSK just lost some big DL, didn't they?  Riderfans were talking about it and also mentioning phoning Lemon.  The teams that can use him are piling up.  And the other teams will be more desperate, so I'd peg the chance of Lemon coming to WPG at 0%.

it's at 0% because he signed with Montreal days ago.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 25, 2023, 01:22:54 PM
it's at 0% because he signed with Montreal days ago.

Haha, ya, I read that in a completely unrelated thread after I posted this.  I don't read any other CFL news sites so until I see it here, I don't know about it.  At least I turned out to be right!
Never go full Rider!