Official Game Day Thread - Edmonton at Winnipeg - July 20, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, July 18, 2023, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on July 21, 2023, 02:57:17 PM
Because our PR is filled with OL and Globals and old guys who don't play.

Speaking of old guys, Jackson had a very good game, he was all over the place on ST's and did a good job blocking for Brady in the 4th Q.  He's difficult to roster but given the opportunity he earns his keep.

theaardvark

Well, I have to say, it was a nail biter until late, and I wasn't looking for how we were going to win rather than how we could find a way to not lose. 

I'd have to thing the half time talk was "You have 2 weeks of ice tubs and soft beds coming up, don't leave ANYTHING behind, it all gets left on the field this half."

The DLine came to life, and got to Corny.  The DB's showed a little more life and the ST'ers HIT. 

Hate to wish ill on anyone, but this looks great pinned on Jones.  If it is true he has a 4 year guaranteed deal, and not a series of one year deals, then Edmonton is going to be in a world of hurt for years to come.

Geroy has to step in as GM now.  Sounds like the only reason this was close at the half is that he was inspiring to the players recounting the BC 0-5 start when they won the cup.  Chris Jones is not getting what he needs out of these players, and his refusal to challenge (and Zach's quick thinking to get a play off after Lawlers obvious non-catch) are totally on him, and he deserves the 0-7 record he has earned.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 21, 2023, 04:15:37 PM
Is Darby dinged up?

Good question and I have to think he's nicked. Just enough to not be close to 100% but not enough to not leave him as depth at SAM. If he's not back starting against the Lions then it will be bad for him in the long run.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Jones is now below .500 lifetime as HC.  The only thing about him I ever liked was when he gave us Nichols for basically nothing.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 21, 2023, 04:15:37 PM
Is Darby dinged up?

I?m pretty sure he?s been benched for performance. Whether an injury is contributing to that or not, I don?t know.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Waffler on July 21, 2023, 04:50:14 PM
Jones is now below .500 lifetime as HC.  The only thing about him I ever liked was when he gave us Nichols for basically nothing.

If any of Jones' players performed as badly as he has, they'd be benched or traded/cut... 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Looking at the game with  the defensive ..
Marou started the game at lb but in the second half Briggs took more reps. Cole took a few reps then took a bad penalty which OShea really didnt like.  
When Marou was in he basically was an extra rusher vs playing lb position ..I would say that we need more depth,

Kramdl I thought performed well , you didn't really notice him but he seemed to play well positionally. Didn't see any great plays but then no plays where he got beat badly either. If he's in against BC we'll geta bettter idea of how he is in pass coverage. (Darby got torched in that last bc game

Bennett did make a play or two against the run but he still doesn't  seem to apply pressure. Right now hes not a viable rotational de.

On the positive side Walker is getting better every game , he's replaced Sayles very well. Holm seems to be in good position and Willie looks like he did 2 years ago.  I thought Parker returning kicks was very solid.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on July 21, 2023, 06:47:58 PM
Looking at the game with  the defensive ..
Marou started the game at lb but in the second half Briggs took more reps. Cole took a few reps then took a bad penalty which OShea really didnt like.  
When Marou was in he basically was an extra rusher vs playing lb position ..I would say that we need more depth,

Kramdl I thought performed well , you didn't really notice him but he seemed to play well positionally. Didn't see any great plays but then no plays where he got beat badly either. If he's in against BC we'll geta bettter idea of how he is in pass coverage. (Darby got torched in that last bc game

Bennett did make a play or two against the run but he still doesn't  seem to apply pressure. Right now hes not a viable rotational de.

On the positive side Walker is getting better every game , he's replaced Sayles very well. Holm seems to be in good position and Willie looks like he did 2 years ago.  I thought Parker returning kicks was very solid.

Parker did ok as a temp. replacement but Grant makes a huge difference in gaining field position advantage for the offence, his return yardage has become critical to the teams success in tight games.  He's like a stealth offensive weapon and doesn't need to add ParticipACTION ribbons for the few plays he contributes as a receiver, which just adds risk to his health.  Hope Buck finally sees the light.

Pete

I wonder how much of that is Grant negotiating as part of signing that he wants to participate more as a reciever ala Brandon Banks.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2023, 07:25:44 PM
Parker did ok as a temp. replacement but Grant makes a huge difference in gaining field position advantage for the offence, his return yardage has become critical to the teams success in tight games.  He's like a stealth offensive weapon and doesn't need to add ParticipACTION ribbons for the few plays he contributes as a receiver, which just adds risk to his health.  Hope Buck finally sees the light.

Not sure how much of Grant being involved in O plays is Buck, and how much is Grant.  As a returner, he gets what, 5 to 10 plays per game?  Players want to play...

GOLDMEMBER

Nice to meet you at the game Squonk! I hope you read this? Thanks for the delicious beer!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

squonk

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 22, 2023, 01:35:50 AM
Nice to meet you at the game Squonk! I hope you read this? Thanks for the delicious beer!

The pleasure was all mine, Goldie!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2023, 03:43:39 PM
Speaking of old guys, Jackson had a very good game, he was all over the place on ST's and did a good job blocking for Brady in the 4th Q.  He's difficult to roster but given the opportunity he earns his keep.
Agree all

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 20, 2023, 12:23:36 AM
We are starting 8 Nats, so regard Kramdi as the 8th NAT on the starters depth chart, so any American can sub for him... because then we'd still have 7 Nat starters... 

Is that really correct?  I thought the rule was "one starting NAT exits the field, another NAT has to come on"?  So that goes out the window when you start 8?  Do you have to declare 1 of the NATs as not having to follow that rule or can you play that with any of them?

Does the rule itself talk in terms of # of NATs onfield or on how a substitution has to take place?  Where is this stuff in the book?
Never go full Rider!