Ottawa QBs

Started by pjrocksmb, July 10, 2023, 05:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCn19

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 11, 2023, 03:56:51 PM
Are you referring to Streveler or Pigrome???  This is the way all QB careers begin, we only hope a coach can read a players future potential from the little they've shown and make a proper evaluation.  In Piggy's case O'Shea decided not to experiment and went back to what he already knew, throwing the baby out with the bathwater was the easier route for him. 

In all likelihood, they assessed Pigrome further and decided he was not our guy of the future then pursued Prukop. I am unclear why everyone has this big man crush on Pigrome? The guy was a below average passer in college, but would have made a great SY guy because of his wheels. Imo, that was his upside. He was an interception machine in college.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 12, 2023, 06:35:14 AM
Arbuckle isn't getting you more than .500.

.500 is enough for playoffs in the east! I think they'd be pretty happy with .500
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Waffler

Quote from: GCn19 on July 12, 2023, 01:03:26 PM
Pigrome... was an interception machine in college.

Pretty much all young QB's throw too many pics until they learn the game. He has all the tools you could want. I just see the Bombers in win now, win this year mode, and Prukop just guaranteed our short yardage game is best in the league for 2023. They are not thinking about who might play QB in 2026.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on July 12, 2023, 01:14:03 PM
Pretty much all young QB's throw too many pics until they learn the game. He has all the tools you could want. I just see the Bombers in win now, win this year mode, and Prukop just guaranteed our short yardage game is best in the league for 2023. They are not thinking about who might play QB in 2026.

If you're turning the ball over in college, you're going to turn the ball over in the pros.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

MBT is now a free agent after being released in the USFL. That may or may not impact his decision to return to the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 12, 2023, 02:38:05 PM
MBT is now a free agent after being released in the USFL. That may or may not impact his decision to return to the CFL.

He had to be released to talk with other teams, but is still expected to look for NFL opportunities.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on July 12, 2023, 02:38:55 PM
He had to be released to talk with other teams, but is still expected to look for NFL opportunities.

USFL had NFL option window for players but not for CFL. A parallel move in the USFL would need for him to be released but not sure that is his goal.

If he is interested in coming back to the CFL, there is not a reason to delay for an extended time. He'll get offers potentially from Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton. Whether he is interested may be more about money than a particular city at this point.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on July 12, 2023, 02:38:55 PM

i did not follow the USFL at all...not more than 3 seconds - apparently MBT was the leading passer??  With that under his belt he may get a look as a clipboard/training camp arm at an NFL camp.  That was always his goal...unless the saviour in the CFL for the RedBlacks will generate more NFL interest next season??  NFL prob puts more credence in the USFL stats TBH.

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on July 12, 2023, 03:18:05 PM
i did not follow the USFL at all...not more than 3 seconds - apparently MBT was the leading passer??  With that under his belt he may get a look as a clipboard/training camp arm at an NFL camp.  That was always his goal...unless the saviour in the CFL for the RedBlacks will generate more NFL interest next season??  NFL prob puts more credence in the USFL stats TBH.

Yeah, I think he'll be more interested in an NFL opportunity. That may not happen immediately and as time passes by the chances of a return to the CFL go down. There is not a lot of reason to sign a 1 year deal for a CFL team that appears to not have a play off opportunity. Coming back in week 9 or 10 to a team that might be 1-8 wouldn't make sense for him or the team.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: GCn19 on July 12, 2023, 01:03:26 PM
In all likelihood, they assessed Pigrome further and decided he was not our guy of the future then pursued Prukop. I am unclear why everyone has this big man crush on Pigrome? The guy was a below average passer in college, but would have made a great SY guy because of his wheels. Imo, that was his upside. He was an interception machine in college.

I'm thinking the opposite, Prukop became available, and they assessed the current level Piggy had displayed and decided Prukop as the more Prudent choice at this time.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

MBT is freaking 35 years old.  With the move to 3QBs in the NFL, he might have one or two years left to try that.  Not sure how many CFL years he'd have left, maybe 3?  One AR year in the NFL as 3rd guy up could pay more than he'd ever earn in his remaining CFL career, and if he did one or two years in the NFL, he could still come back north... on the other hand, signing in the CFL now would be the end of any NFL aspirations. 

I can't see him up north this year, unless he gets a complete silence from the NFL.  And I can't see that happening after his USFL season...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.