Mike O'Shea

Started by ModAdmin, July 10, 2023, 01:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

As I watch CFL football this weekend and hearing what our players say about Mike O'Shea, the person and Mike O'Shea, the head coach and looking at what he has accomplished in his years as Blue Bombers head coach, I am truly in awe and appreciative of what he has accomplished.  He has moulded an effective, winning team, has been to the Grey Cup 3 times and has moved into 2nd place in wins running slightly behind the legendary Bud Grant and still has 2 1/2 years left on his contract.

We are truly fortunate to have a person like Mike O'Shea coaching our team.  He is a builder of men and championships. Much kudos and credit to all that he has accomplished thus far and there is likely more to come.

The players get a lot of well deserved praise but this is just a shout out to the best coach in the CFL.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 10, 2023, 01:51:58 AM
As I watch CFL football this weekend and hearing what our players say about Mike O'Shea, the person and Mike O'Shea, the head coach and looking at what he has accomplished in his years as Blue Bombers head coach, I am truly in awe and appreciative of what he has accomplished.  He has moulded an effective, winning team, has been to the Grey Cup 3 times and has moved into 2nd place in wins running slightly behind the legendary Bud Grant and still has 2 1/2 years left on his contract.

We are truly fortunate to have a person like Mike O'Shea coaching our team.  He is a builder of men and championships. Much kudos and credit to all that he has accomplished thus far and there is likely more to come.

The players get a lot of well deserved praise but this is just a shout out to the best coach in the CFL.

2 thumbs way up here. He is truly exemplary of his position in this league. Nicely put Mod. Anyone who disagree is not paying attention or chooses not to pay attention.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Key cog in our winning ways.  Props to those that stuck with him and supported him while he was learning.  He and Hall will go down as one the best coaching combos in Bomber history.

Well said Modadmin.

TecnoGenius

Yes, MOS gets a ton of credit.  But I'd also give major props to KW.  KW makes the decisions to fill our roster with talent.  MOS sets the tone, and builds the culture that makes it easier.  And he makes the winning game-day decisions.

Heck, let's just give it to the whole Canadian Mafia.  Include McManus in there too.

MOS is the best argument for giving any newly-hired HC enough time to fully blossom.  We could have easily fired MOS because of his horrific W/L ratio for the first 2 years.  It can take time to realize the vision, especially when you're a basement team that no one wants to work for.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Franchise and league legend.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 10, 2023, 06:06:38 AM
Yes, MOS gets a ton of credit.  But I'd also give major props to KW.  KW makes the decisions to fill our roster with talent.  MOS sets the tone, and builds the culture that makes it easier.  And he makes the winning game-day decisions.

Heck, let's just give it to the whole Canadian Mafia.  Include McManus in there too.

MOS is the best argument for giving any newly-hired HC enough time to fully blossom.  We could have easily fired MOS because of his horrific W/L ratio for the first 2 years.  It can take time to realize the vision, especially when you're a basement team that no one wants to work for.

Sure, it's a team effort. But at the end of the day, Mike O'Shea will be the Blue Bombers all time winningest coach. For a franchise that has been at it as long as the Bombers have, that's a remarkable achievement, full stop.

theaardvark

MOS was an HOF player, and will be an HOF coach.  Just the epitome of a genuinely good guy, a hard nosed football guy with smarts and work ethic.  He is a leader by example and a teacher that employs a carrot rather than a stick.  You can see it when a "teaching moment" happens, the players seem more disappointed that they let MOS down than anything.  And he coaches them up, and sends them off with an attaboy.

We got lucky landing him as a HC with only a few years of ST roaching under his belt, and he hasn't disappointed us since.  When Buchko/Mack got fired, and our team landed Miller, who promoted Walters, who hired O'Shea in a matter of a few weeks, and the rest is history.  The Canadian Mafia is dynastic.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bluebeard

MOS is smart as he surrounded himselve with good coaches and made very few  changes with them.  Continuity is every where with our team.  Keep up the good work Mike.

Blueforlife

To think that some on here wanted him gone first few years.  Patience paid off.  A legend.

BLUEBOMBER

Without Collaros, LaPolice, Hall, Jefferson, Alexander, Harris, Bryant, etc.... it takes more than one person to build a winning team...

DM83

He's a nice humble winner

J5V

I'll never forget a game in Toronto I was in attendance at wearing my Bomber gear right behind the Bomber bench. I can't remember the year but Suk Chung was still playing for us then. So was Chris Randle.

Both MOS and Wade Miller picked me out of the crowd and Wade Miller came over in person to say hello to my wife and me.

It was a pretty cool moment and very classy of Wade.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on September 11, 2024, 06:33:58 AMI'll never forget a game in Toronto I was in attendance at wearing my Bomber gear right behind the Bomber bench. I can't remember the year but Suk Chung was still playing for us then. So was Chris Randle.

Both MOS and Wade Miller picked me out of the crowd and Wade Miller came over in person to say hello to my wife and me.

It was a pretty cool moment and very classy of Wade.

Wade knows how to treat fans.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on September 11, 2024, 10:57:52 AMWade knows how to treat fans.

Wade knows how to treat fans, staff, coaches, players...  and how to properly dress down officials and the Commish.

The Mafia starts from the top, Wade was a pitbull on the field, never gave up ever, and earned every stat through hard work.  His time as Club President continues that effort.

Yes, Walters, O'Shea, and all the other players and coaches are all cogs in the machine, and without them, it would be less successful.  But Wade makes sure all those pieces are kept well oiled and given the opportunity to succeed.

I had mentioned earlier that we were waiting to get into the stadium, and the WIFI was not letting my buddy download the tickets, and Wade happened by.  I jokingly asked him "Why is the WIFI so crappy?", and he took the question seriously, inquired as to the problem, asked where our tickets were for, and had his assistant walk us through the gate and to the Pinnacle Club without scanning the tickets (which downloaded just as we got to the Club).  Not my first interaction with Wade, and every time, he has been 100% centred on making us feel seen and appreciated.  We are very lucky to have him.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on September 11, 2024, 04:56:33 PMWade knows how to treat fans, staff, coaches, players...  and how to properly dress down officials and the Commish.

The Mafia starts from the top, Wade was a pitbull on the field, never gave up ever, and earned every stat through hard work.  His time as Club President continues that effort.

Yes, Walters, O'Shea, and all the other players and coaches are all cogs in the machine, and without them, it would be less successful.  But Wade makes sure all those pieces are kept well oiled and given the opportunity to succeed.

I had mentioned earlier that we were waiting to get into the stadium, and the WIFI was not letting my buddy download the tickets, and Wade happened by.  I jokingly asked him "Why is the WIFI so crappy?", and he took the question seriously, inquired as to the problem, asked where our tickets were for, and had his assistant walk us through the gate and to the Pinnacle Club without scanning the tickets (which downloaded just as we got to the Club).  Not my first interaction with Wade, and every time, he has been 100% centred on making us feel seen and appreciated.  We are very lucky to have him.

My last interaction was him chiding me for drinking outside of the stadium and not spending money inside (jokingly for you too serious types).
My wife is amazing!