Injury Report

Started by theaardvark, July 05, 2023, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeard

For me, the cracks are slowly starting to show.  Remember, we were playing the Redblacks, not the Lions.  We did nothing in the 2nd half and over time.  This is a mental game and I do not like the idea that other CFL teams think we can be beaten by them.

theaardvark

Lemon would earn more than Haba, sure.  But there are cost savings elsewhere, the 6 game had a lot of vets on it that were replaced by ELC's, and we have some top talent on team friendly deals, including Bailey and Lawler.  

They maybe waiting for the pro rated value of a Lemon contract hits the sweet spot..  which might be too late.  They should act now, and I know that it is not an MOS/Walters modus operandi, but if Lemon proves out to not be worth what he signs for, there is the option to cut him... but that goes away soon too...

Qualified as a Veteran of    Entitled to 100% salary after
Six years or more    9th Regular Season game
Five years    10th Regular Season game
Four years    11th Regular Season game
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

With Clements and Haba out, I am sure the Bombers could pickup a player like Lemon.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 20, 2023, 04:23:37 PM
Lemon would earn more than Haba, sure.  But there are cost savings elsewhere, the 6 game had a lot of vets on it that were replaced by ELC's, and we have some top talent on team friendly deals, including Bailey and Lawler.  

They maybe waiting for the pro rated value of a Lemon contract hits the sweet spot..  which might be too late.  They should act now, and I know that it is not an MOS/Walters modus operandi, but if Lemon proves out to not be worth what he signs for, there is the option to cut him... but that goes away soon too...

Qualified as a Veteran of    Entitled to 100% salary after
Six years or more    9th Regular Season game
Five years    10th Regular Season game
Four years    11th Regular Season game

Lawler is a poor example as he's already missed 6 games and he's the second highest paid receiver in the league, nothing very friendly about that.  Who was going to pay him more?  Schoen is an example of an extremely good deal.

The Zipp

Quote from: Pigskin on July 20, 2023, 04:38:39 PM
With Clements and Haba out, I am sure the Bombers could pickup a player like Lemon.

Makes me wonder if lemon doesn't want to come here or the Bombers don't want him...

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: The Zipp on July 20, 2023, 05:48:30 PM
Makes me wonder if lemon doesn't want to come here or the Bombers don't want him...

Anticipate O'Shea's reply would be, "we don't need him, the guys we have here are really good".

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bluebeard on July 20, 2023, 04:22:47 PM
For me, the cracks are slowly starting to show.  Remember, we were playing the Redblacks, not the Lions.  We did nothing in the 2nd half and over time.  This is a mental game and I do not like the idea that other CFL teams think we can be beaten by them.

I think with the trickle back of vets. off the IR over the next few weeks the team will be rejuvenated and playing at peak again by Labour Day, at least that's the hope.  The BC game after the bye is going to be huge in determining the route forward.  If changes need to be made, late summer is the time to make them.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2023, 05:57:13 PM
Anticipate O'Shea's reply would be, "we don't need him, the guys we have here are really good".

"err, Coach you don't have any DEs on the practice roster to rotate with the Jeffs, so who are the guys you talkin' about? "

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on July 20, 2023, 06:35:40 PM
"err, Coach you don't have any DEs on the practice roster to rotate with the Jeffs, so who are the guys you talkin' about? "

"These guys are in really good shape and they like to play."

Jesse

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on July 20, 2023, 06:35:40 PM

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2023, 06:47:57 PM
"These guys are in really good shape and they like to play."

These are so accurate and annoy me so much.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 20, 2023, 04:42:24 PM
Lawler is a poor example as he's already missed 6 games and he's the second highest paid receiver in the league, nothing very friendly about that.  Who was going to pay him more?  Schoen is an example of an extremely good deal.

We pay Lawler less than most teams pay their #1 receiver, plus he's missed games, so yeah, he's a roster SMS advantage...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

Quote from: theaardvark on July 20, 2023, 07:10:37 PM
We pay Lawler less than most teams pay their #1 receiver, plus he's missed games, so yeah, he's a roster SMS advantage...

Lawler is reportedly getting 250-260,000, which at the time he signed it, was probably a fair to slightly team friendly deal, given that Lewis got 300,000. However, a lot of that was a bonus, which I think he gets even though he missed 6 games due to his suspension. A rough calculation, based on him only getting about 7,000 per week and the rest as a bonus, (so we saved 42,0000 of SMS by him missing 6 weeks) suggests we are paying him 218,000 for 12 games, which works out to an annual salary equivalent of 327,000. Its hard to argue that's even fair market value, never mind a team friendly deal. As well, we had to pay another player in his absence at least the CFL minimum, which adds further to his cost. We did technically save some SMS by him being gone for 6 weeks (about 3400 per game which is the difference between his salary per game and the replacement player at CFL minium of 3600 per game, so about 20,000 dolllars), but thats a drop in the bucket re SMS, and we were without our star receiver for 6 games. Not so team friendly.

bunker

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/19/the-cfls-20-highest-paid-receivers-for-the-2023-season/

We don't pay him less than other team's #1 receiver, with the exception of Edmonton.

M.O.A.B.

If not Lemon, maybe Walters can swing a trade with Ham for Kongbo.

Jesse

What are you smoking man?
My wife is amazing!