Observations on the Rider Game

Started by the paw, June 03, 2023, 01:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2023, 03:47:18 PM
Our fundamental difference is that I see the PR as a fluid part of the roster and you're more focused on DI's and how they can maneuver the ratio. An extra Natl. receiver on the PR in addition to one on the game roster is all they need, and this has usually been the case up until the last few years when they have been short in that dept.

IMO Bailey is the obvious candidate for Fake Natl. as long as he doesn't get too upset about playing 50% of the snaps.

Obviously we'll keep another Canadian receiver on the PR. It has nothing to do with the ratio. It has to do with best advantage / usefulness on the AR.

The ratio is always a question and Nationalized Americans doesn't change how many imports you can roster.

Bailey classified as a Nationalized American allows him to step in to replace a Canadian for 49% of the plays. Who plays the other spot normally held by Bailey the rest of the time?

The downside is that he takes the spot of a DI that would be used elsewhere.

You can't take the ratio out of the consideration.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

Lets say Brady O is hurt.  We might be forced to start an Imp at RB.
We could offset this by starting Orange, using him mostly in blocking roles, much like Bailey anyways. Have Bailey/Orange split snaps.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on June 03, 2023, 04:21:43 PM
Lets say Brady O is hurt.  We might be forced to start an Imp at RB.
We could offset this by starting Orange, using him mostly in blocking roles, much like Bailey anyways. Have Bailey/Orange split snaps.

Which import comes off the roster if you do that? That's the domino impact we have to answer. Lots of possibilities but also lots of potential other starters that might not be ready for game 1.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 03, 2023, 03:35:46 PM
This was my thought too after the game last night. Jeff Hamilton is suggesting that Legghio is likely gone.

"Castillo, who had just the one field-goal attempt, is undoubtedly the Bombers place kicker this year. Chandler Staton, who was perfect last week, nailing a 34-yard field goal and all three of his converts, missed a convert Friday and you wonder if that?s enough to lose a potential PR spot. As for punters, it seems like Bombers will go with one of the global players in Jamieson Sheahan and Karl Schmitz. Nothing against Marc Liegghio, who punted well against the Roughriders, but he?s more expensive and after last year, still considered expendable."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/02/inexperienced-bombers-fall-to-riders

I also think because Leggs can do all 3 phases of the kicking game, he stays. More versatility then the global kickers. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pigskin

Two young Canadian DBs that impressed me. Verti and MacDougall. MacDougall is only 21, 6'3", 205 lbs. Great closing speed. Verti was around the ball all night and made some good plays. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 03, 2023, 05:29:38 PM
Two young Canadian DBs that impressed me. Verti and MacDougall. MacDougall is only 21, 6'3", 205 lbs. Great closing speed. Verti was around the ball all night and made some good plays. 

Yes, I thought they did quite well but I think so did Kelly. Just a guess but Veltri might not make the AR and goes to PR initially. I'd rank Kelly, MacDougall and then Veltri. Might not be enough room for Janke on the PR.

A remote possibility is that Veltri bumps Kramdi, but he's the back up SAM. Not sure if any of the other Canadian DB's has seen much work there in TC?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Janke didn't play very well. Got burned on one of the touchdowns. Doesn't seem to cover very well.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 03, 2023, 05:34:57 PM
Yes, I thought they did quite well but I think so did Kelly. Just a guess but Veltri might not make the AR and goes to PR initially. I'd rank Kelly, MacDougall and then Veltri. Might not be enough room for Janke on the PR.

A remote possibility is that Veltri bumps Kramdi, but he's the back up SAM. Not sure if any of the other Canadian DB's has seen much work there in TC?

Kramdi was one of their best ST players on coverage, I think he showed enough last year to make the roster.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 03, 2023, 07:20:55 PM
Kramdi was one of their best ST players on coverage, I think he showed enough last year to make the roster.

Kramdi play well last night. Looks like he 100% from his injury late last season.

DM83

Bombers played up to their potential except a few guys were disappointments,while others impressed.

Agudosi is a force unto himself.  In certain situations he will be at a level into his self.
Gauthier looked like a starter. He earned a new respect.
Leggio looked like a pro.
Houston couldn?t keep up and when Harris threw the ball , he was throwing at him?should be cut
O Leary looked relaxed and polished.
Piggie was a playmaker
The RB for us in the 4th qtr., looked good against the riders training camp fodder
Caleb Thomas was double teamed!  He made a great play to get a sack. Very good.
Cole should make the team as a DI or practice squad guy, and the then AR as injuries occur.
mcDougal  stuck his nose in as a young guy was courageous.

Once again the number one draft pick was invisible as a DE, but so we?re most all O and D linemen

Jesse

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 03, 2023, 03:35:46 PM
This was my thought too after the game last night. Jeff Hamilton is suggesting that Legghio is likely gone.

"Castillo, who had just the one field-goal attempt, is undoubtedly the Bombers place kicker this year. Chandler Staton, who was perfect last week, nailing a 34-yard field goal and all three of his converts, missed a convert Friday and you wonder if that?s enough to lose a potential PR spot. As for punters, it seems like Bombers will go with one of the global players in Jamieson Sheahan and Karl Schmitz. Nothing against Marc Liegghio, who punted well against the Roughriders, but he?s more expensive and after last year, still considered expendable."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/06/02/inexperienced-bombers-fall-to-riders

I think Jeff's guess is as good as ours. Listening to Tait and Doug talk about it last night, I'd say no one has any idea what the Bombers are going to do.

My wife is amazing!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on June 03, 2023, 05:01:50 PM
I also think because Leggs can do all 3 phases of the kicking game, he stays. More versatility then the global kickers. 
Agree

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on June 03, 2023, 09:32:05 PM
I think Jeff's guess is as good as ours. Listening to Tait and Doug talk about it last night, I'd say no one has any idea what the Bombers are going to do.

Guess they knew...

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on June 03, 2023, 03:47:30 PM
Houston gave up a couple of long balls, but I didn't think he looked awful in coverage - perhaps more "good play" by the offence as opposed to poor positioning on his part.

We must keep in mind Houston is still basically a 2nd year CFL player (came in late in '21).  Also keep in mind Houston got burned by T.Harris and D.Walker, two very respected near-decade vets.

That first long bomb to Walker near the EZ had Houston in perfect position, but the ball was a perfect ball and Walker played it perfectly to body-out Houston.  Ya, I guess Houston could have anticipated and turned to bat it down, but not every 2nd year DB can do that, and since he knew he was against Walker, he probably figured it was better to ensure he got the tackle (remember Roberson losing the 2019 WDF trying to make the big bat-down instead of the tackle?)

Houston was in receiver pockets all night long, against very good receivers.  And he tackled well (his main bugbear in '21).  I'm not worried about Houston.  He's clearly part of the plan, and more important than ever with Parker gone for 9+ weeks (guess).

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 03, 2023, 03:59:48 PM
Bailey classified as a Nationalized American allows him to step in to replace a Canadian for 49% of the plays. Who plays the other spot normally held by Bailey the rest of the time?

Agudosi.  Once Lawler is back this could be a way to get Agudosi on the field.  If Agudosi and Lawler are going gangbusters you can get Bailey on the field as a 49% speller for Woli, or BOO if he is ever starting.  That's a big "if" on Agudosi, of course.  He might turn out worse than Bailey long-term.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Houston??was awful. He did nothing.