Roster Player Categories

Started by Blue In BC, May 29, 2023, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2023, 01:30:39 PM

...He was drafted in the 8th round. He has almost zero chance of doing anything.

Cadwallader was drafted in the 7th round and he's become a very good ST player. All 32 regular season games so far.  Burtenshaw was drafted at # 74 ( dead last pick ) in 2022 and he's still around and been on the AR at times. 

As I mentioned, unless there is an injury ( Briggs ) then he won't make the AR. It's more a question of what they see in his potential.

He could be released outright or he could end up on the PR. I guess the 2nd question is he pushing Briggs to any degree? Briggs had an off season in 2022 and he's 33. Actually he's missed a lot of game from 2019 to date including 6 in 2022. I'm not sure if he's still recovering from that injury at the moment.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 30, 2023, 01:38:53 PM
Cadwallader was drafted in the 7th round and he's become a very good ST player. All 32 regular season games so far.  Burtenshaw was drafted at # 74 ( dead last pick ) in 2022 and he's still around and been on the AR at times. 

As I mentioned, unless there is an injury ( Briggs ) then he won't make the AR. It's more a question of what they see in his potential.

He could be released outright or he could end up on the PR. I guess the 2nd question is he pushing Briggs to any degree? Briggs had an off season in 2022 and he's 33.

You asked if he's taking reps at linebacker. If any of those guys you mentioned need to play in those spots in games something has gone horribly wrong. Same for Briggs and obviously Burtenshaw is not going to play linebacker but you get what I mean. All of those late round Canadians basically project to replaceable special teams guys at the CFL level, if they're lucky.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2023, 01:58:30 PM
You asked if he's taking reps at linebacker. If any of those guys you mentioned need to play in those spots in games something has gone horribly wrong. Same for Briggs and obviously Burtenshaw is not going to play linebacker but you get what I mean. All of those late round Canadians basically project to replaceable special teams guys at the CFL level, if they're lucky.

We all get that. OTOH, We have seen Briggs and Gauthier play on defence a lot even when the game is on the line. Gauthier started at WIL for many games last year after Wilson was injured.

It wasn't until Gauthiers 5th season that he started recording DT's. Between 2021 and 2022 he's recorded 33 DT's.

Obviously I'd rather have a import LB as a DI that would be next up to fill in for an injury situation. At worst, on the PR to be added if we have a longer term issue.

Last year on Sept 10 we beat the Riders 54-20. There are games that are won or lost long before the final gun. That's when the back ups get live reps, whether that's a LB or another position.

Every player is getting reps in TC which may include more than just ST's. That's the essence of my question. How many reps is he getting and how effective has he looked? It doesn't mean I'd expect him to do that in games unless the we're in a blowout so to speak.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Based on last year alone, I think Gauthier filled in adequately.
I think we had no replacement for Jeffcoat at times.

Briggs and Gauthier, are getting a little old, but if they can still do it, woo hoo!

Wilson sounds like he may be done.  Two seasons rehabbing.???
We also miss Hanssen.  But it gives the new younger  guys an opportunity, ...that's life.

I would like to get some opinions also about who we  are going to use at LB.  I was not too impressed with Darby, from what I saw on the podcast.  I expect a starting DB/LB to make tackles, not whiff. 

Who are the front runners for our starting LB's?

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 30, 2023, 02:48:08 PM
Based on last year alone, I think Gauthier filled in adequately.
I think we had no replacement for Jeffcoat at times.

Briggs and Gauthier, are getting a little old, but if they can still do it, woo hoo!

Wilson sounds like he may be done.  Two seasons rehabbing.???
We also miss Hanssen.  But it gives the new younger  guys an opportunity, ...that's life.

I would like to get some opinions also about who we  are going to use at LB.  I was not too impressed with Darby, from what I saw on the podcast.  I expect a starting DB/LB to make tackles, not whiff. 

Who are the front runners for our starting LB's?

Darby is very good and I expect him to start. I'm not even sure who is next up on the depth chart at SAM. Clements has to be the leading candidate at WIL at the moment.

I don't know what Bighill's status is regarding injury. If he's not practising this week, then there is reason to be concerned.

Wade seems to be the most likely to be a DI as far as LB's go. Whether we have a spot for a LB is not quite as clear at the moment. Those might be filled be DE and DT types.

If Bighill can't play game 1, I'd think Wade hits the AR but he may not be the starter? Hopefully Bighill starts practising today.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

I'm not a roster person like some others on here, but hearing that the CFL website has not been updated to the new rules strikes me as nothing short of absurd.

DM83

I don't think the CFL has the resources to hire someone to do that.
I bet you can  get a High school kid, or a retiree to attend to the web site.  Give them a $1000.00 honorarium for the season, complimentry  game tickets and it could be done.  Once the sight is up, it  probably just needs tinkering..

Heck we have people posting on this forum who judging by their thoroughness, investigative and communication could do that job easily.

Some of you should call Wade to get Randy's number.  Former Bison's rule!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2023, 12:44:55 PM
Regarding Eli/Dobson, it will come down to whether Dobson can play centre a little bit. Dobson is the much better 6th OL choice because he can play guard and could probably even pinch hit at tackle if we needed him to. Eli is basically a centre (a good one, but he's limited elsewhere on the line).

Eli took reps. at OG for the Bombers in 2021, so he is quite capable of playing any of the inside positions.  If it comes down to ranking I would put Kona behind both Eli and Dobson, not impressed that he's taken up the Dan Clark fitness program of laying on the blubber.

Pigskin

I am seeing Goodson (DL)  is on our suspended list. Had high hopes for this guy. Has that DT build. 6'1" close to 300 lbs. and has some quickness to him. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 30, 2023, 07:00:05 PM
I am seeing Goodson (DL)  is on our suspended list. Had high hopes for this guy. Has that DT build. 6'1" close to 300 lbs. and has some quickness to him. 

Didn't show up for camp, maybe he'll change his mind if nothing shakes out down south.  I'm pretty happy with the discipline Sterling showed in his first game, not often a newcomer maintains his position and pays attention to containment while still getting pressure on the QB.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2023, 12:44:55 PM
Regarding Eli/Dobson, it will come down to whether Dobson can play centre a little bit. Dobson is the much better 6th OL choice because he can play guard and could probably even pinch hit at tackle if we needed him to. Eli is basically a centre (a good one, but he's limited elsewhere on the line).

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 30, 2023, 05:22:56 PM
Eli took reps. at OG for the Bombers in 2021, so he is quite capable of playing any of the inside positions.  If it comes down to ranking I would put Kona behind both Eli and Dobson, not impressed that he's taken up the Dan Clark fitness program of laying on the blubber.

Now you two need to duke it out!  Which is it?  Eli can play G or can't he?

I side with TLB as I too recall some guard work and a potential starting guard.  I thought that's what we were grooming him for, maybe with an emphasis on C.  Pure C's are of limited usefulness.  You really only need 1 starting pure C (if that) and then backup G's who can also do C in a pinch.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 30, 2023, 09:51:13 PM
Now you two need to duke it out!  Which is it?  Eli can play G or can't he?

I side with TLB as I too recall some guard work and a potential starting guard.  I thought that's what we were grooming him for, maybe with an emphasis on C.  Pure C's are of limited usefulness.  You really only need 1 starting pure C (if that) and then backup G's who can also do C in a pinch.

No need to duke it out. It may be that Eli played a little guard for us in camp or whatever but all his college experience is at center. He was great at it, specialized in it and at one time was one of the top recruited centers in all of college football.

Dobson was late to the OL. He played DL and FB in high school and transferred to the offensive line in his senior year. At Texas A&M he was a guard who got a few looks at OT. When the Bombers drafted him there was some hope he could play OT because he's a really athletic guy. 

the paw

It seems to me that Dobson was drafted and is being developed as the successor to Neufeld.  Similarly, I think Eli was signed as the heir apparent to Couture, but covid and Kolankowskis unexpected competence has delayed that succession. 

It wouldn't surprise me if next year Eli and Dobson were both starting with Kolankowski as 6 the man.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 30, 2023, 10:02:15 PM
No need to duke it out. It may be that Eli played a little guard for us in camp or whatever but all his college experience is at center. He was great at it, specialized in it and at one time was one of the top recruited centers in all of college football.

Dobson was late to the OL. He played DL and FB in high school and transferred to the offensive line in his senior year. At Texas A&M he was a guard who got a few looks at OT. When the Bombers drafted him there was some hope he could play OT because he's a really athletic guy. 

I'm not denying that Eli's natural position is Center, but he did start 4 games at ROG in place of Neufeld during the 2021 season, so he can play multiple positions effectively.  Conversely as a Bomber he's never started a game at Center, and Center is typically where they plunk the least athletic O-lineman.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on May 30, 2023, 10:09:57 PM
It seems to me that Dobson was drafted and is being developed as the successor to Neufeld.  Similarly, I think Eli was signed as the heir apparent to Couture, but covid and Kolankowskis unexpected competence has delayed that succession. 

It wouldn't surprise me if next year Eli and Dobson were both starting with Kolankowski as 6 the man.

What you say may work for Dobson 2 years from now (starting G or even T).  In contrast, I think Eli can give us what we need now, or certainly in 2024 (starting C or even G).

As for Ko-man, I thought he was stellar at C in 2022 and looking back I think we should have stuck with him into the playoffs instead of bringing back a cold Couture (he could have stayed on IR).  I don't see how Eli can beat out Ko-man at C going into week 1.

But I think the inter-game injury depth plan is:
C: Ko-man -> Eli
G: Neuf/Gray -> Eli -> Dobson

The question is who starts in week 1 as the 4th NAT OL?  Could go either way, but I'll bet small on Eli.  The fact he checks two boxes works in his favor.  Maybe how they look at TC and who's more "ready" will be the clincher.

Our OL's going to be good, but I think we'll not be as good as when Desjar was here.  If we get 2 OL injuries within a few games, we might be struggling.  We still don't have any real IMP OT backup plan.  I don't want to think about a situation where an OT and Neuf go down.
Never go full Rider!