Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Edmonton, May 27, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, May 26, 2023, 04:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Our one glaring weakness is at import Defensive tackle.
Complementing that was our linebacker play was awful.

No filling of gaps, and catching  edm Rb at 7 yards.
No contain, by blitzing DBs and LB.

Other than that poor tackling (which has to be a result of no contact practices.)

This game gave guys a chance to make the team, if they were rookies.

Agudosi didn't play much, and then on one play he was pointing at someone, complaining about something.  Was not impressed. On the other hand  that Murphy kid, looked good making the most of his chances.  But can not see him beating out anyone on the receivers squad. Practice roster if he wants to stay there, maybe.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 29, 2023, 02:56:29 PM
Our one glaring weakness is at import Defensive tackle.
Complementing that was our linebacker play was awful.

No filling of gaps, and catching  edm Rb at 7 yards.
No contain, by blitzing DBs and LB.

Other than that poor tackling (which has to be a result of no contact practices.)

This game gave guys a chance to make the team, if they were rookies.

Agudosi didn't play much, and then on one play he was pointing at someone, complaining about something.  Was not impressed. On the other hand  that Murphy kid, looked good making the most of his chances.  But can not see him beating out anyone on the receivers squad. Practice roster if he wants to stay there, maybe.

You are correct. However, our Canadian depth in numbers is greater at DT than at DE.  Neither situation is enviable. I haven't been to TC ( living in Vanc ) so I really have no idea how much potential any of the 2023 draft choices have. Potential aside, how close to being ready NOW is also a question.

Caleb Thomas looked pretty good and he played a lot on Saturday.  OTOH the Elks ran right up the gut a lot.

I'd feel a little better if I knew how long Hansen would be out. None of our other global players can fill that particular need.  Canadian Anthony Bennett is our only current back up at the moment.

I'd like to see more of Murphy in this weeks game. I don't know if he plays on ST's but barring injury that would be the only way to make the AR at the moment.

Back up DB's that are used to hitting and tackling are usually the ones that fill those roles: Kelly, MacDougall, Veltri and Janke. I expect 2 of that group to make the AR. 
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Lions released 13 players this morning. Talk over on Lionbackers discussing similar problems. They will have to release some good Canadian players including possibly some on the DL. They feel that may include some unpopular choices. They've already released some 2023 draft choices and 1 from 2022. None that I'm interested in but that's early for that to happen.

Anyway, their final cuts may be worth taking a quick look at. Some may have at least some CFL experience. Lokombo was mentioned as a possible cut for example.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Blue in BC, I agree with your comments 100%.

I was hoping the rookie # 1 DE would stand out.  (However, in reality, and his background doesn't seem anything significant will result.)  He may have stood out at the University level, but too many of his opponents especially at offensive tackle, may not have been of a professional calibre.

In the pros, I would think any OT has significantly better foot speed and therefor negating his speed attribute.  Undersized and blockable equates to a lack of ability at the next level, and  a poor selection.

Have we changed our Canadian scouts? I wonder do we put much into it?

LXTSN

I think we all know that having Bighill makes a world of difference to our run game.
It would be nice to have a solid replacement for Wilson, and solidify our import DT. We aren't miles away from being a great run defence again.
This preseason game is no indication of how the season will go, it's only an indication that we don't have any beast LB's or DT's that can take over games right now. They may still progress to become great run stoppers but in their first preseason CFL games... they weren't great.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: DM83 on May 29, 2023, 04:00:31 PM
Blue in BC, I agree with your comments 100%.

I was hoping the rookie # 1 DE would stand out.  (However, in reality, and his background doesn't seem anything significant will result.)  He may have stood out at the University level, but too many of his opponents especially at offensive tackle, may not have been of a professional calibre.

In the pros, I would think any OT has significantly better foot speed and therefor negating his speed attribute.  Undersized and blockable equates to a lack of ability at the next level, and  a poor selection.

Have we changed our Canadian scouts? I wonder do we put much into it?

Two things:

We have some of, if not the best, Canadian talent in the league
You cannot expect a Canadian coming out of USports to look good in the CFL right away. Doesn't matter his age. It's just not the way it works.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on May 29, 2023, 04:04:46 PM
I think we all know that having Bighill makes a world of difference to our run game.
It would be nice to have a solid replacement for Wilson, and solidify our import DT. We aren't miles away from being a great run defence again.
This preseason game is no indication of how the season will go, it's only an indication that we don't have any beast LB's or DT's that can take over games right now. They may still progress to become great run stoppers but in their first preseason CFL games... they weren't great.

Bighill would / will make a big difference. That said, you don't always want to see the opponent RB get beyond the LOS and reply on making a tackle at the 2nd level.

The pre season is no real indication of what the talent level is quite yet. That's been mentioned a few times. No dispute there.

I was just looking at our roster of Canadian players. I think we have 32 at the moment + the Rifles kids. Trimming down to 21 won't be easy.

In no particular order of those making the AR.

1. Neufeld
2. Kolankowski
3. Gray
4. Eli
5. Demski
6. O-Leary Orange
7. Wolitarsky
8. Hallett
9. Thomas
10. Gauthier
11. Briggs
12. Cadwallader
13. Oliveria
14. Augustine
15. Miller
16. Benson
17. Kramdi

It's possible some on this group may be surprises but at the moment I think they are safe.

Who fills the rest of the spots?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

likely Dobson, Lawton, Bennet, and Legghio or Kelly

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on May 29, 2023, 04:52:02 PM
likely Dobson, Lawton, Bennet, and Legghio or Kelly

We could very well keep a 5th Canadian OL ( Dobson ) on the AR, but who do we give up elsewhere? I meant to add Lawson as # 18 as the back up DT.. I don't think one of the rookie DT's beat him coming out of TC. I think we protect a couple on the 1 game IR to start the season.

Others to consider on the AR:

1. Burtenshaw
2. MacDougall , Janke or Janke
3. Adamson as an OL / DL emergency rotation player

A few of those choices may not be prepared to accept a PR role.

IMO I expect Lawson, Bennett, Liegghio and Kelly on the AR.

Our Canadian roster is very good but a little light on the DL from an experience point of view.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 04:22:51 PM
Bighill would / will make a big difference. That said, you don't always want to see the opponent RB get beyond the LOS and reply on making a tackle at the 2nd level.

The pre season is no real indication of what the talent level is quite yet. That's been mentioned a few times. No dispute there.

I was just looking at our roster of Canadian players. I think we have 32 at the moment + the Rifles kids. Trimming down to 21 won't be easy.

In no particular order of those making the AR.

1. Neufeld
2. Kolankowski
3. Gray
4. Eli
5. Demski
6. O-Leary Orange
7. Wolitarsky
8. Hallett
9. Thomas
10. Gauthier
11. Briggs
12. Cadwallader
13. Oliveria
14. Augustine
15. Miller
16. Benson
17. Kramdi

It's possible some on this group may be surprises but at the moment I think they are safe.

Who fills the rest of the spots?

I will try my luck at some guesses (ps you forgot Marc Legghio, I thought he was a lock?!!):

18 Anthony Bennett
19 Cameron Lawson
20 Jake Kelly
21 Konnor Burtenshaw
22 Liam Dobson (see note below)

It would be better, and I'm sure the Bombers preference, if only one of Eli/Kolankowski is on the game day. Although the snapping in game left something to be desired from that plan in pre-season game 1.

DM83