Obby Khan

Started by dd, May 25, 2023, 04:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

I was Head ref at a football game this past weekend and had the absolute pleasure to meet and speak with former Blue Bomber Obby Khan, who was there to give some words to the players and crowd as well as do the coin toss. What a genuine, sincere and well spoken man. So down to earth and approachable it blew me away. We spoke briefly about football and then briefly about politics and he comments how important it is for our elected officials to connect with the public they serve.

What a humble and intelligent individual and we are fortunate to have him in office serving and looking out for the best interests on Manitobans.

I don?t  know or care what his political stripe is, I m just **** happy he?s in office looking out for us!!

If you ever get a chance to meet him, go and introduce yourself to him and chat with the guy, and you ll see what I mean.

blue_or_die

Spoken with him several times and have had the same experience. Sometimes you meet pro athletes or celebs and their attitude completely turns you off. Not the case with Obby.
#Ride?

DM83

I have met a number of the Bomber guys, and found them to all be accomadating.

TecnoGenius

I've had brief encounters with Obby at the Shawarma stand.  Always a nice guy.  The symbiotic relationship with WFC is something I'd like to see from more players (post-retirement).
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 29, 2023, 07:40:41 AM
I've had brief encounters with Obby at the Shawarma stand.  Always a nice guy.  The symbiotic relationship with WFC is something I'd like to see from more players (post-retirement).

Associating with the club gets a little tougher for a player when they become an elected official... agendas and all...

Obby is a great guy, good in the community, great with charities.  Have worked with him through the Crohn's and Colitis foundation... but now that he is an MLA, he has to watch his associations for implied of real conflicts.  Even the appearance that he could use his position to influence something in someone's favour can blow up for both parties...

But yeah, Winnipeg does seem to retain a lot of players post career, because we're such great people and a great town ;)  .  Ran into Cam Meridith at a poker tournament locally, looks like he found Winnipeg without a football connection, and then gave the Bombers a try... that said, I truly am surprised, however, that more US players don't settle here after their careers...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on May 29, 2023, 03:45:23 PM
Associating with the club gets a little tougher for a player when they become an elected official... agendas and all...

Obby is a great guy, good in the community, great with charities.  Have worked with him through the Crohn's and Colitis foundation... but now that he is an MLA, he has to watch his associations for implied of real conflicts.  Even the appearance that he could use his position to influence something in someone's favour can blow up for both parties...

But yeah, Winnipeg does seem to retain a lot of players post career, because we're such great people and a great town ;)  .  Ran into Cam Meridith at a poker tournament locally, looks like he found Winnipeg without a football connection, and then gave the Bombers a try... that said, I truly am surprised, however, that more US players don't settle here after their careers...
Uhmm...maybe Winter....
Bomber fan for life

DM83

Lol!
No question!

It's rediculous anyone lives here December to March.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 29, 2023, 03:54:01 PM
Uhmm...maybe Winter....

Family, friends, familiarity back home...
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 29, 2023, 03:54:01 PM
Uhmm...maybe Winter....

Minnesota has winter, Illinois has winter, New York has winter, Oregon has winter, Colorado has winter...

We have winter, but we also have winter mitigation strategies...

And Healthcare
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

It's just different walking to the Mullet arena, after sun-tanning on the roof of the ASU Hyatt across the street, wearing shorts and a t-shirt March First-ish.

But yes, health care, change of season, and real fans like our Bomber, Jet Sea Bear and Goldeyes, are some of the best.
We need to work on a bigger pre-game party area, if possible

wpg#1

I've spoken to him on a few occasions. Once at the July 1 fireworks at the downs. He actually asked if me ( I had Blue Bomber stuff on), my wife and a couple of inlaws would pose with him for a photo .. he asked, and we said absolutely. Now .. this was a bit of a political thing I think because he had people taking photo's too, but he talked to us for a long time. Just a great guy !! We never talked politics .. talked about his restaurant and football !!
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

blue_gold_84

Quote from: DM83 on May 29, 2023, 08:06:03 PM
It's just different walking to the Mullet arena, after sun-tanning on the roof of the ASU Hyatt across the street, wearing shorts and a t-shirt March First-ish.

But yes, health care, change of season, and real fans like our Bomber, Jet Sea Bear and Goldeyes, are some of the best.
We need to work on a bigger pre-game party area, if possible

To watch a "professional" hockey team play in a venue meant for a university team...?

Sounds pretty lame.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 29, 2023, 10:08:46 PM
To watch a "professional" hockey team play in a venue meant for a university team...?

Sounds pretty lame.

You do realize that the Jets play in (other than AZ's temporary digs) the smallest venue in the NHL, right?  Barely 15k, only one other is under 17k...

But yeah, that whole 'yotes situation is insane.  They should be moved asap.  Hamilton or Qweebek City.  Oh, wait, I forgot. They can't give Hamilton an NHL franchise, then Toronto would want one...

ModAdmin

This thread is not about weather, the Jets, arenas or Sea Bears.  It is commentary on Obby Khan.  Let's keep the thread on Obby Khan.  Thanks.

The new thread about Roster Player Categories can be found at the following link...

https://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=54934.0

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

At his Shawarma place on Pembina he has 2 jerseys hanging on the wall.  One is Bombers... the other is red: what team is that?  Couldn't make it out.

P.S. Say yes to the turnip
Never go full Rider!