Tyrell Ford?

Started by Blue In BC, May 18, 2023, 01:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Green Bay just finished their mini camp. Will they be making some player cuts and / or does Ford have some guaranteed money involved?

I've noticed at least one 2023 draft choice ( Uguak ) that got signed as an UDFA has already signed in the CFL after his mini camp tryouts in 2 cities.

Ford has to return to the Bombers if he is released. That would change the dynamics of competition for Canadian DB's. Ford would make the AR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

gobombersgo

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 18, 2023, 01:24:45 AM
Green Bay just finished their mini camp. Will they be making some player cuts and / or does Ford have some guaranteed money involved?

I've noticed at least one 2023 draft choice ( Uguak ) that got signed as an UDFA has already signed in the CFL after his mini camp tryouts in 2 cities.

Ford has to return to the Bombers if he is released. That would change the dynamics of competition for Canadian DB's. Ford would make the AR.

Ford didn't get any guarantee money from Green Bay and it looks like he will competing for a practice roster position at best. Green Bay already has most of their secondary penciled in.

Jesse

Quote from: gobombersgo on May 18, 2023, 01:45:49 AM
Ford didn't get any guarantee money from Green Bay and it looks like he will competing for a practice roster position at best. Green Bay already has most of their secondary penciled in.

He was always going to be a PR guy this year. The question is how long do they hold on to him and does he give himself a chance to move up?
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on May 18, 2023, 11:41:29 AM
He was always going to be a PR guy this year. The question is how long do they hold on to him and does he give himself a chance to move up?

That's the question though. Just like CFL teams have mini camps, it doesn't guarantee attending the main camp. I suppose if they plan to release him, it would happen shortly.  Here is something interesting.

As a reminder, Green Bay?s roster can go up to 91 players with the roster exemption that Odumegwu receives as an IPP player. Today, the Packers? roster sits at 89, meaning that they can sign two tryout players without a corresponding roster move. Even with the tryout players in practice, Green Bay still hasn?t handed out the three jersey numbers of its top remaining free agents: 2 (kicker Mason Crosby), 31 (safety Adrian Amos) or 89 (tight end Marcedes Lewis.) It?s possible that the team is saving those roster spots for veterans, but there?s currently room for a Jack Coco ? the long snapper who was able to make the 53-man roster last year (as the lone undrafted free agent rookie) after impressing as a rookie minicamp tryout player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

I would be really surprised if there is any Ford movement/news until September. He's certainly a prime candidate for a PR spot - guys like him are basically what the NFL's PR spots are made for. I would say the very earliest he may be back is the fall of 2024 but just a guess.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: gobombersgo on May 18, 2023, 01:45:49 AM

Teams usually carry 5 Corners on GameDay.  So  he isn't guaranteed to be just a practice roster guy.

gobombersgo

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on May 18, 2023, 06:13:54 PM
Teams usually carry 5 Corners on GameDay.  So  he isn't guaranteed to be just a practice roster guy.

It's no different than a raw rookie DB trying to make the active roster of the Bombers. It's going to be a challenge.