"It's been just a perfect place for me."

Started by ModAdmin, May 16, 2023, 06:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Great article about our #2 QB, playing for the Blue Bombers in front of the greatest fans in the CFL...

"It's been just a perfect place for me."

...Here's the thing about (Dru) Brown that's so intriguing: if you were to ask him to paint a portrait of his second-best dream scenario, well, it would look exactly like the moment he is in right now.

"I love it here. I love the people here. I love my teammates. I love the room I'm in," began Brown in a chat with bluebombers.com following Day 2 of training camp. "It's probably been the most positive football experience I've had and I don't even start. That's saying something."

Before we continue, some background is in order here...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/15/its-been-just-a-perfect-place-for-me/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on May 17, 2023, 02:35:16 AM
He is our future

He could be.  He may be the most promising WPG dev QB in a long time.  In terms of looking like he may one day be a legit #1 starter in the league, I'd put him above Strev.  While I think Strev could start in the CFL, he might never look like even a middling (.500) QB.

What I'd like to see from Brown is more football IQ dev.  That's where the coaches and practice and watching Zach and game reps come in.  He doesn't strike me as the smartest QB, but he has the physical tools and a very good eye for his experience level.

No matter what happens with our team, I could see him hanging around the CFL for a decent length of time.  He's like a Dom Davis, but already better in so many ways.  He may be like a Taylor Cornelius: where you can see very early on there might be something there.

Who here doesn't already have the confidence for him to step into a quarter or whole game if required and give us a fighting chance?
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: pjrocksmb on May 17, 2023, 02:35:16 AM
He is our future

Hard to see how the timeline works if Zach plays out his whole contract.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on May 17, 2023, 12:02:38 PM
Hard to see how the timeline works if Zach plays out his whole contract.

This. Way too many factors in the mix.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

NewBlue

I always think the young backup is our future.  Even more so for the younger 3rd stringer!
We'll know alot more about Dru Brown this year.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: NewBlue on May 17, 2023, 01:49:29 PM
I always think the young backup is our future.  Even more so for the younger 3rd stringer!
We'll know alot more about Dru Brown this year.

Odds are this is finally the year Zach misses a few games due to injury, giving Brown a chance to start, hopefully mid-seasonish games.  We've been incredibly fortunate with Zach's health since he came to the team in 2019, I would not have thought it possible he could stay healthy for this long at the time he signed.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 17, 2023, 03:53:00 PM
Odds are this is finally the year Zach misses a few games due to injury, giving Brown a chance to start, hopefully mid-seasonish games.  We've been incredibly fortunate with Zach's health since he came to the team in 2019, I would not have thought it possible he could stay healthy for this long at the time he signed.
his durability for us defies his previous history.....however our O-Line has been stellar in front of him.   How many blind side hits has he taken since playing for us?    Last year he unfortunately tweaked his ankle just before the GC game in the western final and I'll never believe that he was 100% on game day.   
Dru Brown may well get his chance and we will see how he capitalizes on his opportunities.    I for one am still not convinced he has the makings of our next #1 starter.....I'm waiting to be proven wrong
Bomber fan for life

pjrocksmb

Brown will get more reps and will be ready imo, willing to eat bird if not.  Doesn't mean I'm right but I think he can do it.  Been a long time we waited this long to develop.  He needs to continue to develop, get reps this year and have a good supporting Oline and RB and he will be just fine.  Here is hoping.  Agree this year is big and he needs to show the goods! 

Agree that Zach will need more maintenance days.  I hope not!

I think our limiting factor in Brown's development is MOS's reluctance to pull his starter in 4th Q to give backups reps.  Hope he changes his tune (doubt it).  Full disclosure love MOS.

I also want more #3 reps! :)

Basically I want it all.

DM83

Actually the Bombers injuries have not really hurt them.  But I do wonder when they will start?
However, the O-Line has become so good. and with the offensive concept and Zach's experience, devastating hits may be avoided.

Definitely would like to see Dru Brown play more, as well as the third string guy who runs effortlessly.

Pete

the reason the injuries haven't hurt them is the next man up philosophy, the coaches do a great job of giving everyone some playing time to facilitate this.
last year
Wilson out for the season - in steps Clements/Gautier
Taylor goes down ..Holms takes over
Houston - Parker
Ellingson/demski - Agudosi/Mcrae/l'Orange-oleary
Couture - Kolankowski
Alexander - Hallet

i think the main injury that caused us difficulty was Jeffcoat.. we couldn'i seem to find an adequate replacement.
Every year injuries are a big part of the season its how you react to them that makes champions

TBURGESS

The reason injuries haven't hurt us is because Collaros hasn't been injured.

The unspoken truth is that we went from an average team to a dominant team the day that Collaros started for us and we're most likely to go back to average the day he doesn't start.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on May 19, 2023, 11:00:58 PM

The unspoken truth is that we went from an average team to a dominant team the day that Collaros started for us and we're most likely to go back to average the day he doesn't start.

It can't be unspoken if you repeat it every time you get an opening.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: TBURGESS on May 19, 2023, 11:00:58 PM

I would say it hurt us in the GC, because ZC8 was not at 100%.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on May 19, 2023, 11:05:20 PM
It can't be unspoken if you repeat it every time you get an opening.
Not true. I often say he's the difference maker, but I haven't said we'll go back to being average when he isn't here. That's the 'unspoken' part.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.