CFL: Retirements and veterans released early

Started by Blue In BC, May 10, 2023, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 12, 2023, 04:53:45 AM
Wow Lemar Durant retires at 30, he had a good level of skill for a Natl. but never really established himself as a consistent starter in Calgary, BC or Hamilton.

He had one decent year year in 2019 with the Lions.  He never played a full season with any CFL team.  Many other National players were far, far superior to him.  "Good level of skill for a Natl." is a stretch.  My feeling is that he was less than average at best.  Don't mean to be overly harsh but I never understood the hype about him.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

On to real life.

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 12, 2023, 06:01:13 AM
He had one decent year year in 2019 with the Lions.  He never played a full season with any CFL team.  Many other National players were far, far superior to him.  "Good level of skill for a Natl." is a stretch.  My feeling is that he was less than average at best.  Don't mean to be overly harsh but I never understood the hype about him.
Weird Durant is similar to Addison, one good/amazing year in 2019 and injury prone.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

the paw

Durant was a physically gifted receiver, who dropped in the draft because of poor interviews and questions about his attitude or motivation.

Calgary was bringing him along slowly, but in 2019 he finally lived up to potential in BC.  Why he couldn't sustain that, or his proneness to injury are questions beyond my ken. 

As to the hype, the only other receiver of note in that draft class was Demski.  The Bombers passed on Durant in favour of the luminous talent of Addison Richards.

I think it is fair to characterize Durant's career as disappointing, but the kid had all the tools to be a top level receiver.
grab grass 'n growl

Horseman

Stove was released by BC, is he worth bringing in for a look see too determine if his play has dropped off?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Horseman on May 13, 2023, 07:54:40 PM
Stove was released by BC, is he worth bringing in for a look see too determine if his play has dropped off?

He wasn't expected to be able to play in most or all of 2023. Whether he would fully recover by 2024 is still a question I guess. Could sign him to a 2 year deal with him retiring immediately. That would allow him to return to the team at some point? As long as there is no signing bonus that could be a win win for his future.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: Horseman on May 13, 2023, 07:54:40 PM

No way in hell. Unfortunately, injuries have derailed his career.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Ottawa released DL Davon Coleman. Might be worth a call to his agent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 13, 2023, 11:03:32 PM
now that i could get behind

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 13, 2023, 11:03:32 PM
We need to get younger at some positions especially on the defensive line..the two Jeffs and Thomas all 32. Adding Coleman would add another 32 yr old. Also Coleman didn't resign with Ottawa  til April , if we wanted him likely we could have done so earlier.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 01:31:30 AM
Basically an ELC offer + housing. His contract was set at $142K for this season. Should have been some middle ground.

They should have ELC'd him with massive incentives for yard/TDs etc.  He might have gone for that.  I think teams are shying away from the pricier guys when they start Nevising and Stoveing.  Can't tie up your whole SMS on guys in the tub.

A better question is why are the superb guys getting injured so much with these career-enders?  I don't recall this being as frequent a decade ago...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Don't mean to be overly harsh but I never understood the hype about him.

Ya, I never got the Durant hype either.  I think that's what it was: all hype.  Poof, hype is gone and he fades into oblivion.  Glad we never wasted money on the guy.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Bombers released DB's:

Noah Hallett and C Lavigne

Lots of new Canadian DB's fighting for those spots.

Also released import receiver Heiligh, a late 2022 PR player.

Hamilton suspended:

J. Davis and S. Small. I wonder what that's about?

Elks suspended:

LB K. Francis

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Long term injuries like a failed medical?