CFL: Retirements and veterans released early

Started by Blue In BC, May 10, 2023, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Something to keep track of players retiring, getting suspended or veterans released in the early days of rookie TC and main TC

Hamilton:

Grant MacDonald retired
Bralon Addision was released.

Edmonton:

Don Olumba released

Winnipeg:

Robbie Lowes  retired.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Tough one for Mr. Lowes. I bet he would have been a great special teams guy.  **** injuries!

Blue In BC

Hamilton: Releases Jake Burt

Calgary: Mike Moore decided to retire after signing with the Stamps in free agency.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on May 11, 2023, 01:16:58 AM
What's the story on Addison? Injury woes?

Ya, inquiring minds want to know.  Addison goes from top-3-in-league SB to a zero after that first GC loss.  What a shame.  No one ever said a bad word about him and everyone wanted him on their team.

It's the go-to-NFL-to-become-a-zero curse.  Should have just stayed in the CFL.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 11, 2023, 06:07:52 AM
Ya, inquiring minds want to know.  Addison goes from top-3-in-league SB to a zero after that first GC loss.  What a shame.  No one ever said a bad word about him and everyone wanted him on their team.

It's the go-to-NFL-to-become-a-zero curse.  Should have just stayed in the CFL.

I haven no real idea about that. I took it to be an SMS move needed but that was just speculation. We'll see if he gets signed elsewhere ( Edmonton ) lol?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

He had surgery for a ruptured Achilles last year. I think it's pretty clear that he hasn't passed his physical this year, and given that he has only played 11 games over the last 2 years, the TiCats want to move on. 
grab grass 'n growl

pjrocksmb

Quote from: the paw on May 11, 2023, 02:39:07 PM
He had surgery for a ruptured Achilles last year. I think it's pretty clear that he hasn't passed his physical this year, and given that he has only played 11 games over the last 2 years, the TiCats want to move on. 
Sure hope he can get healthy, such a good player at 1st.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Hamilton offered him $70,000 and $15K housing???? Slap in the face.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 11, 2023, 11:30:13 PM
Hamilton offered him $70,000 and $15K housing???? Slap in the face.

Basically an ELC offer + housing. His contract was set at $142K for this season. Should have been some middle ground.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 01:31:30 AM
Basically an ELC offer + housing. His contract was set at $142K for this season. Should have been some middle ground.

Didn?t we do something similar with Brandon Alexander?s new contract last year?  I seem to remember reading that he got a below market rate for 2022 in recognition that he would miss most of the year, but then full value for 2023.

I can see why Hamilton would want to manage their risk, the guy has barely played the last 2 years and won?t be able to start the season this year.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 11, 2023, 11:07:12 PM
Ottawa:

OL T. Vaughn
WR L. Durant

Wow Lemar Durant retires at 30, he had a good level of skill for a Natl. but never really established himself as a consistent starter in Calgary, BC or Hamilton.