Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Despite all the analytics on this forum and obvious some of you spend a lot of time with this and are quite knowledgeable ......I still have concerns about our DL's ability to stop the run.    Yes we have veterans who have brought us glory over the past 3-4 seasons, however the fact remains that they are aging and Doug Brown pointed this out and several articles have been published with his insight about this.    MOS is loyal to a fault and though I love the man I don't see our D as being dominant this season.    We seem to be more focused on our offence this year and perhaps this is the season where we simply overwhelm our opponents with a high powered offence.....it's just a gut feeling I have and it's not based on any analytics the likes of many posters on this forum.    It's too early to say for sure how things unfold and our first game is against the Cats and BLM.    A lot will be riding on Zach's ability to stay healthy which he has mostly done since he signed with us.
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on June 01, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the DL spots. Jake Thomas will likely start with Lawson backing him up. On the other side, it's just between Walker and Caleb Thomas right? I think both are good options. I could see Caleb on running downs and Walker on passing downs. Doesn't really matter who starts there, since we do a lot of rotating the whole DL to keep them fresh.
DE spots are obviously covered, but with little backup help...

I'm think we'll have a DE as one of the DI's. Our Canadian depth there is marginal so it's the greatest area of need. C. Thomas seems to have some good potential and I hope he can make the AR as well.

Hopefully we don't give up another 200 yards rushing. The team has had live reps and actual hitting that doesn't happen in TC. Should be a better result. That may or may result in a win but that's not the issue.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

The only problem is that none of the new de's has shown anything. Hopefully against Sask that changes

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2023, 01:47:18 PM
Final cuts must be this weekend. That's always a bit fluid as players are released and then added to PR's around the league. The catch 22 is that not every player a team may want to put on their PR will accept.

I could be wrong but I believe the cut down deadline has been relaxed and they're not forcing every team to make cuts at the same time any longer.  Mainly because team schedules are so uneven during the pre-season, it isn't fair.  I think the new rule is the final roster must be submitted 48 hrs. prior to their first game, again I could be wrong.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on June 01, 2023, 03:59:01 PM
The only problem is that none of the new de's has shown anything. Hopefully against Sask that changes

I disagree, too early to tell but I thought Sterling showed promise.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: LXTSN on June 01, 2023, 02:35:09 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the DL spots. Jake Thomas will likely start with Lawson backing him up. On the other side, it's just between Walker and Caleb Thomas right? I think both are good options. I could see Caleb on running downs and Walker on passing downs. Doesn't really matter who starts there, since we do a lot of rotating the whole DL to keep them fresh.
DE spots are obviously covered, but with little backup help...
It's just the area we are not "set" with.  I think we will do it by committee but will take a few lumps until the entire D is healthy.  I expect out interior to be anywhere from slightly below average to average.  Teams will try to run on us b/c our back end will be decent. 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pjrocksmb on June 01, 2023, 05:20:28 PM
It's just the area we are not "set" with.  I think we will do it by committee but will take a few lumps until the entire D is healthy.  I expect out interior to be anywhere from slightly below average to average.  Teams will try to run on us b/c our back end will be decent. 

I think they're fairly set at DT with Walker, newcomer Caleb Thomas, Jake and Lawson, DE is were a lot of question marks remain.  With Hansen out and Jeffcoat's health questionable, I think they will have to bring in a few more bodies.

theaardvark

I think there will be more players that will play for other teams that TC'd with us than players making our AR/PR that TC'd for other teams...

Our recruiters are good for the league...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on June 01, 2023, 06:26:36 PM
I think there will be more players that will play for other teams that TC'd with us than players making our AR/PR that TC'd for other teams...

Our recruiters are good for the league...

I think you say that every year. TC cuts from any team seldom end up elsewhere in any great volume.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Yeah, and denial isn't healthy boys.  The players that played vs. Edmonton got their ***** kicked.  We are not going to be any good with those guys..  They were on roller skates.  Edmonton could have rushed for 300 yards had they wanted to. If those guys start, every other team will try and shove down our throats.  Pretty basic stuff run the A gap and see what the defence does,....giving up 5 yds a carry, equates to not having to do anything else.  Just run the middle.

Now I assume we'd change that rotation up.  The new guys just were not good enough ( I assume size wise)
As mentioned before the LBs that played did not play successfully.  But  again, the Bombers management usually brings in people that succeed.
If Lemon is out there, and the guy who destroyed peoples knees last year,would certainly catch offensive players attention. (Now of course that is an extreme but it's the opposite of  "chicken fighting and having  a 7 yd., advantage against you.

I am guessing with Bighill, Thomas, and another DT, that problem disappears. 

Maybe Bennett get in as  part of the rotation, but he has to "do something".  Otherwise he is taking up a position someone else should have, and that could make a difference.  I just don't see Bennett as that guy, based on his play.  I hope he does have superior  speed, and becomes a situational edge rusher.

BBRT

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2023, 06:49:46 PM
I think you say that every year. TC cuts from any tream seldom end up elsewhere in any great volume.

Just back this week from an extended winter vacation and glad to be back in CFL land and glad to see Blue in BC and good old Ards still at it. I am catching up on whose still in camp and how all the other teams are doing.

Just great to be back in Canada! - it is surprising how no one down south knows what Pierogies and Cabbage Rolls are!  ;D

Blue In BC

Quote from: BBRT on June 01, 2023, 08:26:33 PM
Just back this week from an extended winter vacation and glad to be back in CFL land and glad to see Blue in BC and good old Ards still at it. I am catching up on whose still in camp and how all the other teams are doing.

Just great to be back in Canada! - it is surprising how no one down south knows what Pierogies and Cabbage Rolls are!  ;D

LOL. Other teams can have some of the defensive players we fielded last week after we cut them this weekend.

EDIT: I see Neufeld has been added back from the suspended roster. As suspected this was just a paper transaction to balance the allowed roster earlier. Now Lawler goes to suspended and Neufeld is added back.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: DM83 on June 01, 2023, 08:25:33 PM
Yeah, and denial isn't healthy boys.  The players that played vs. Edmonton got their ***** kicked.  We are not going to be any good with those guys..  They were on roller skates.  Edmonton could have rushed for 300 yards had they wanted to. If those guys start, every other team will try and shove down our throats.  Pretty basic stuff run the A gap and see what the defence does,....giving up 5 yds a carry, equates to not having to do anything else.  Just run the middle.

Now I assume we'd change that rotation up.  The new guys just were not good enough ( I assume size wise)
As mentioned before the LBs that played did not play successfully.  But  again, the Bombers management usually brings in people that succeed.
If Lemon is out there, and the guy who destroyed peoples knees last year,would certainly catch offensive players attention. (Now of course that is an extreme but it's the opposite of  "chicken fighting and having  a 7 yd., advantage against you.

I am guessing with Bighill, Thomas, and another DT, that problem disappears. 

Maybe Bennett get in as  part of the rotation, but he has to "do something".  Otherwise he is taking up a position someone else should have, and that could make a difference.  I just don't see Bennett as that guy, based on his play.  I hope he does have superior  speed, and becomes a situational edge rusher.
We'll know after the first game in Hamilton what's up with our team and how many of the TC casualties will return....and if not how the back ups make out.    We had plenty of injuries to key personnel last season and still managed a 15-3 record of which at least two games we won where we were outplayed and two games we lost that we should have won.    BLM will be out to make a statement against us who usually plays well against us!   
Bomber fan for life

BBRT

Quote from: DM83 on June 02, 2023, 08:13:12 AM
I think you spelled perogies wrong.:)

And this is probably one of the few things I will agree with you on. Spent too many months way down south and forgot how to spell! ;D