Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 30, 2023, 08:52:37 PM
I think the coaches like him and think he's kept around on the PR. The catch 22 is that he's an older player and PR money may not work for him. If he is married and / or kids, then he needs to be earning a solid living.

If it wasn't for ratio limitations he'd probably make the roster.

I listened to O'Shea's daily report but there was nothing about walking wounded. We had one report that Jefferson participated in practice today, but an update on the others would be helpful.

BTW, was exactly is Hansen's injury?

From today's interview, it sure sounds like O'Shea loves the attitude, toughness  and flexibility Damian Jackson brings to the table, I'd be very surprised if they didn't find a way to keep him as a backup utility player in the mode of Hansen.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 31, 2023, 09:58:07 PM
From today's interview, it sure sounds like O'Shea loves the attitude, toughness  and flexibility Damian Jackson brings to the table, I'd be very surprised if they didn't find a way to keep him as a backup utility player in the mode of Hansen.

He's an import. Two of our DI's will be Grant and Castillo in theory. I like his skill set as well but is he the best choice for one of the other two DI spots?  We should watch to see how many reps he gets on defence this week.

Keep in mind that there are few other imports looking to land those spots. Sterling, Ward and C. Thomas are all in the hunt. Yes someone will end up on the PR so I don't know when or if they've already ranked their expectations.

Jackson could play a role on ST's as well. Not only as a back up LS but on coverage teams?  The Burtenshaw injury creates a role for a FB in blocking schemes at times and I don't know if we have an alternative in that role.

Stay tuned. lol He will be a player I'll try and keep tabs on this week.

There are a bunch of options. Noting it's just speculative on my part. Using Sheahan as a global kicker instead of Castillo as an import DI is one of the options. In theory that opens up one more DI spot.

I'm not betting on that outcome but it can't be discounted either.

The ratio against team need is a complicated calculation.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

I agree with BlueinBC.  The only way Jackson makes the AR is as the DI defensive end.  Any long snapping or ST work is added value, but he has to cut the mustard as a rotational DE for it to work.

I think it is pretty clear that we signed Castillo to play, so that's one DI.

We need a returner, that's the second DI.

We always have an extra DB as one of the DIs, and with Ford down south, I don't think that changes.

That means the 4th DI is either a DE or LB, but not both.  So Jackson has to beat out some DEs to stick.
grab grass 'n growl

Pete

in the past we've regularly used a dt as a di (walker) rotating in with Sayles. DI's could be:
Thomas
Castillo
Grant
then either LB or db

Blue In BC

Any word on why Neufeld was placed on suspended list today? Family stuff perhaps and he'll be away for a couple of days? Or just a paper shuffle to account after adding Grant back?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 31, 2023, 11:03:32 PM
I agree with BlueinBC.  The only way Jackson makes the AR is as the DI defensive end.  Any long snapping or ST work is added value, but he has to cut the mustard as a rotational DE for it to work.

I think it is pretty clear that we signed Castillo to play, so that's one DI.

We need a returner, that's the second DI.

We always have an extra DB as one of the DIs, and with Ford down south, I don't think that changes.

That means the 4th DI is either a DE or LB, but not both.  So Jackson has to beat out some DEs to stick.

I think that's where Karamoko comes in as the 2nd global player instead of an import DI. Because we also have Lawrence and Rose on the limp, that further chances him being that 6th DB.

I fully expected that Maruo would be 1 of the global choices but it also doesn't mean we don't add a DI LB.

Obviously I've also said that we could add Sheahan as a global kicker. We know that Castillo was signed and expected to take  that role. But O'Shea has liked all the kickers so who knows?

Not having Hansen available means a DE is needed unless Bennett has really impressed.

Those will be things to watch in this week game for any clues. Essentially do we see a rookie player in this group standout to lock down a spot. Does O'Shea see different advantages as to which global and DI's are selected.

I'm looking forward to the game and coming out of it with no new injuries.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Pete on May 31, 2023, 11:24:34 PM
in the past we've regularly used a dt as a di (walker) rotating in with Sayles. DI's could be:
Thomas
Castillo
Grant
then either LB or db

That's correct, but typically we had Kongbo and Hansen rotating as DEs.  Bennett hasn't made his bones yet, and Hansen's hurt, so I think it has to be a DE at least to start the season.
grab grass 'n growl

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2023, 12:15:26 AM
I think that's where Karamoko comes in as the 2nd global player instead of an import DI. Because we also have Lawrence and Rose on the limp, that further chances him being that 6th DB.

I fully expected that Maruo would be 1 of the global choices but it also doesn't mean we don't add a DI LB.

Obviously I've also said that we could add Sheahan as a global kicker. We know that Castillo was signed and expected to take  that role. But O'Shea has liked all the kickers so who knows?

Not having Hansen available means a DE is needed unless Bennett has really impressed.

Those will be things to watch in this week game for any clues. Essentially do we see a rookie player in this group standout to lock down a spot. Does O'Shea see different advantages as to which global and DI's are selected.

I'm looking forward to the game and coming out of it with no new injuries.

what if they used the Naturalized Import on Jefferson (or Jeffcoat)?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 01, 2023, 04:16:49 AM
what if they used the Naturalized Import on Jefferson (or Jeffcoat)?

You could (if the rule even comes into force this year after all) but which Canadians are going to play 51% of snaps then?

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 01, 2023, 11:34:41 AM
You could (if the rule even comes into force this year after all) but which Canadians are going to play 51% of snaps then?

Bennett?

Jesse

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 01, 2023, 12:32:05 PM
Bennett?

God no.

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2023, 12:09:41 AM
Any word on why Neufeld was placed on suspended list today? Family stuff perhaps and he'll be away for a couple of days? Or just a paper shuffle to account after adding Grant back?

This could be it. We didn?t do much for cuts after the first game, so if the plan was to sit him anyway, we might just want/need the roster spot.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Final cuts must be this weekend. That's always a bit fluid as players are released and then added to PR's around the league. The catch 22 is that not every player a team may want to put on their PR will accept.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 01, 2023, 01:47:18 PM
Final cuts must be this weekend. That's always a bit fluid as players are released and then added to PR's around the league. The catch 22 is that not every player a team may want to put on their PR will accept.

And that's where GMing comes in... AR/IR means full pay, PR can mean as much pay as you want, including over ELC money, but applies to the cap, but does not that a roster spot, and can be poached.

Figuring out who will and will not take a PR spot is essential in deciding who you AR/IR, all other things being equal.  If you want to keep a player, you have to do what you have to do. 

Accepting a PR spot behind strong, healthy veterans might not be in a players best interest, especially if there could be opportunities elsewhere, in our case, WR.  But if there are spots behind oft injured, or declining vets, where you are a hit away from the AR on a CUp contender, then sure, hanging on a PR is fine.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

I am not so sure the first couple weeks of the season rosters are very set.  There is a lot of movement.  However, not having the two D-Line spots settled seems like an on-going problem. 

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on June 01, 2023, 02:23:03 PM
I am not so sure the first couple weeks of the season rosters are very set.  There is a lot of movement.  However, not having the two D-Line spots settled seems like an on-going problem. 
I wouldn't be too concerned about the DL spots. Jake Thomas will likely start with Lawson backing him up. On the other side, it's just between Walker and Caleb Thomas right? I think both are good options. I could see Caleb on running downs and Walker on passing downs. Doesn't really matter who starts there, since we do a lot of rotating the whole DL to keep them fresh.
DE spots are obviously covered, but with little backup help...