Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewBlue

Quote from: Waffler on May 27, 2023, 12:42:46 PM
We got the last laugh on that one.  Because of not having to pay his salary we were the team with the most money available when Biggie came back from the NFL. If they can prevent him retiring a Rider in addition, I am all for it because he is basically a thief.

And it allowed us to get a real good look at Streveler, if we had Durant we might have had to cut Stev.
One could say by having Bighill & Strev it was the best 70K spent by this club.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: NewBlue on May 27, 2023, 01:28:16 PM
And it allowed us to get a real good look at Streveler, if we had Durant we might have had to cut Stev.
One could say by having Bighill & Strev it was the best 70K spent by this club.
lol Here Here
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Bombers are going to have some choices to make in the secondary. We have too many good players than I think we will be able to keep. A couple of eastern team have lost some DB's for an extended time.  Redblacks just lost M. Hunter for an extended period.

If we can't keep everyone, perhaps we can at least trade someone out of the western division. Trade value for import DB's isn't usually very high but something is better than nothing if it comes down to it.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 28, 2023, 09:16:55 PM
Bombers are going to have some choices to make in the secondary. We have too many good players than I think we will be able to keep. A couple of eastern team have lost some DB's for an extended time.  Redblacks just lost M. Hunter for an extended period.

If we can't keep everyone, perhaps we can at least trade someone out of the western division. Trade value for import DB's isn't usually very high but something is better than nothing if it comes down to it.

Winston Rose is in a bit of trouble I think. Very, very, very few trades get made at.cutdown time.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 29, 2023, 12:47:57 AM
Winston Rose is in a bit of trouble I think. Very, very, very few trades get made at.cutdown time.

It's not cut down quite yet but you have a point. I was thinking more about Lawrence possibly being the odd man out.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 01:17:57 AM
It's not cut down quite yet but you have a point. I was thinking more about Lawrence possibly being the odd man out.
I think Lawrence has a lot of potential, one of our best options when it comes to defending the run which was a big issue against Edmonton. I'd expect at this point our defensive backs would set up to start the season as:
S - Alexander
dime back - Darby
half backs - Nichols/Parker
corners - Lawrence/Houston
with Rose and Holm being DI or on practice roster. Rose would have to beat out Houston in order to start

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pete on May 29, 2023, 02:39:06 AM
I think Lawrence has a lot of potential, one of our best options when it comes to defending the run which was a big issue against Edmonton. I'd expect at this point our defensive backs would set up to start the season as:
S - Alexander
dime back - Darby
with Rose and Holm being DI or on practice roster. Rose would have to beat out Houston in order to start

Too early to tell but I see Holm getting plenty of reps.  I don't have any updates on Rose and how he has looked in camp but I expect he will be ok.  Anyone know much about him? Holm been getting lots of reps at practice 1st and 2nd teams.  He is rotating with another guy, can't remember who.

ModAdmin

Believe Holm is safe.  Dline will be interesting to watch unfold.  Sayles to be replaced. Who will be the #3 QB?  Is Jeffcoat ready to play?  Also LB with Wilson likely on the IR list.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on May 29, 2023, 02:39:06 AM
S - Alexander
dime back - Darby

Don't get me wrong. I like Lawrence a lot. I think some posters are being hard on Rose after a difficult 2022 season. I'm not convinced that he won't be starting either. Putting any on the PR might not be a great idea. They might not accept that and could be off to another team.

As I suggested we have too many good players than starting positions. I think many are very versatile which is an added bonus.

There are a couple of rookie DB's that I think make the PR but also have some intriguing potential.

I've point out that it might be difficult to get a DB on the roster as a DI unless he's the returner until Grant is back.

In a perfect world I'd like to see a DE, a DT and a LB as DI's. That's already an issue with a kicker and returner as 2 of 4 DI's. Obviously nothing is written in stone that 2 DI's are on the DL.

So just waiting to see how this plays out.

Your list to start is a pretty solid looking group. It's nice to have such good options though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Practice roster for a vet like Rose??? what do they earn $500.00 a week? Geez even splitting an apartment with a few guys is questionable. (Maybe if you are aged 20-24.  After that,...yikes.

Not surprised if they cut  him and Agodusi.  (Give them a chance to catch on somewhere else.)
As Doug Brown said if Shaun Lemon has any gas in the tank he may be an option .  Not sure Jeffcoat makes the team as old age and injury may have caught up to him.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 29, 2023, 03:01:34 PM
Practice roster for a vet like Rose??? what do they earn $500.00 a week? Geez even splitting an apartment with a few guys is questionable. (Maybe if you are aged 20-24.  After that,...yikes.

Not surprised if they cut  him and Agodusi.  (Give them a chance to catch on somewhere else.)
As Doug Brown said if Shaun Lemon has any gas in the tank he may be an option .  Not sure Jeffcoat makes the team as old age and injury may have caught up to him.

I think a couple of vet players will spend some time on the 1 game IR.  We won't be able to move vets ( or Agudosi ) to PR as you suggested, so it's 1 game IR or outright release. 

That's not in our best interests IMO. Trades are not easy at the best of times, so that probably doesn't happen.

I'd be stunned if they released Jeffcoat in particular.  Our rookie DE's didn't exactly overly impress in pre season game 1. Lemon is older than Jeffcoat BTW.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 03:21:13 PM
I think a couple of vet players will spend some time on the 1 game IR.  We won't be able to move vets ( or Agudosi ) to PR as you suggested, so it's 1 game IR or outright release. 

That's not in our best interests IMO. Trades are not easy at the best of times, so that probably doesn't happen.

I'd be stunned if they released Jeffcoat in particular.  Our rookie DE's didn't exactly overly impress in pre season game 1. Lemon is older than Jeffcoat BTW.

For sure. If he starts the year hurt they'll probably just throw him on the 6-game. No need to release him unless we're completely fed up.

Blue In BC

Two practices this week + a walk through. I won't be surprised if we make a few cuts before start of practice tomorrow.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 29, 2023, 05:15:25 PM
Two practices this week + a walk through. I won't be surprised if we make a few cuts before start of practice tomorrow.

We might wait just because this game will be mostly back-ups.
My wife is amazing!