Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

This is kinda true of TSN also.
They have nobody here.

We need to produce a local flavor sports  production.  I mean after  score review the five or six leading teams, would not still get much air time.

Man do I miss Bob Irving.

GOLDMEMBER

Maybe Tait has clear instructions not to share anything that gives other clubs a heads up on other players they may release.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 25, 2023, 07:44:49 PM
Maybe Tait has clear instructions not to share anything that gives other clubs a heads up on other players they may release.

Tait is doing his job perfectly.

It's the beat writers from the papers that need to look up once in a while.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on May 25, 2023, 08:14:56 PM
Tait is doing his job perfectly.

It's the beat writers from the papers that need to look up once in a while.
indeed
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

RB Rosery retired today. Not sure if this was due to an injury and the need to make roster space, or he saw the handwriting on the wall?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: DM83 on May 25, 2023, 07:05:26 PM
This is kinda true of TSN also.
They have nobody here.

I think John Lu has been at most of the training camp practices that I've been at. I don't know if he's produced any content though?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 25, 2023, 11:56:47 PM
I think John Lu has been at most of the training camp practices that I've been at. I don't know if he's produced any content though?

Will John Lu be replacing Sara Orlesky as TSN's Bomber reporter or is he only covering the Jets?  No stories from him that I can see on TSN.

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 26, 2023, 12:19:11 AM
Will John Lu be replacing Sara Orlesky as TSN's Bomber reporter or is he only covering the Jets?  No stories from him that I can see on TSN.

Yes, I believe so.

https://www.tsn.ca/adieu-montreal-hello-winnipeg-1.1854953

pdirks67

Pigskin

Jonathan Rosery retires? Is this injury related.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 26, 2023, 04:13:04 AM
Jonathan Rosery retires? Is this injury related.

This only showed up in the CFL.CA transactions. Haven't seen any actual comments yet but take it to suggest a TC injury that puts him out at the moment. Whether that's a month or the season IDK. Usually when this happens we see that player ( draft choice ) return later on the PR of in TC the following year.

2023-05-25   WPG   ROSERY, Jonathan   WR   N      Transfer To   Retired

EDIT: Found this this morning.

RB Jonathan Rosery, the team?s seventh-round pick who was injured in rookie camp and has not practised, was transferred to the retired list on Thursday afternoon.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Are "suspended" and "retired" lists different?  Either one, should the player decide to play again, the team he was suspended or retired from retains his rights, no?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 26, 2023, 05:25:41 PM
Are "suspended" and "retired" lists different?  Either one, should the player decide to play again, the team he was suspended or retired from retains his rights, no?

I think in both cases the rights are retained only for the duration of the contract. My recollection from a historical point of view is that " retired " generally meant a player was injured and the team would look at him again when healthy. Of course their are veterans that decide to hang them up even after signing new deals prior to TC. The strain of TC and family / business makes that decision.

Suspension is a little odd. Usually see that when someone doesn't report or is going to report late ( Jake Thomas ) for example. The other example is a rookie import mostly that decides he doesn't want to play in the CFL. We see a few of those every year across the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Big Daddy

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 26, 2023, 05:34:37 PM
I think in both cases the rights are retained only for the duration of the contract. My recollection from a historical point of view is that " retired " generally meant a player was injured and the team would look at him again when healthy. Of course their are veterans that decide to hang them up even after signing new deals prior to TC. The strain of TC and family / business makes that decision.

Suspension is a little odd. Usually see that when someone doesn't report or is going to report late ( Jake Thomas ) for example. The other example is a rookie import mostly that decides he doesn't want to play in the CFL. We see a few of those every year across the CFL.

Interesting - I don't remember how this all works.

Wasn't there talk that Darian Durant cannot be signed as a rider for a one day contract in order to retire a rider, after he screwed us over in 2018? 

For those that don't remember, he signed as a backup early in the year, accepted a $70k signing bonus (which went against our salary cap for that season), then announced on social media he was retiring right before training camp.  He never even told the Bombers this ahead of time - they heard along with the rest of us.

I sure hope it's true he can't sign as a rider.  Yeah, I may still be a little bitter over that one.

Waffler

Quote from: Big Daddy on May 27, 2023, 01:01:15 AM
Yeah, I may still be a little bitter over that one.

We got the last laugh on that one.  Because of not having to pay his salary we were the team with the most money available when Biggie came back from the NFL. If they can prevent him retiring a Rider in addition, I am all for it because he is basically a thief.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers