Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp - Day 4

Notes and quotes from the fourth day of Blue Bombers training camp:

DEEP CUTS THE KNIFE:
The Blue Bombers had to shave their roster down to 75 - plus non-counters like draft picks and junior players - by 11 p.m. Tuesday night.

To make that work, the club released 11 players, including defensive linemen Julius Turner and Jadrian Taylor, defensive backs Gee Stanley and Deuce Wallace, linebacker Christian Dixon, offensive lineman Payton Muljo, punter Devin Antcil and quarterback Billy Hall - all of them Americans - along with Global receiver Timonthy Knuettel, Canadian O-lineman Brandon Sanford and Canadian defensive back Charles-Antoine Beaulieu.

Added to the roster were receiver Sean Coyne and defensive tackle Keenan Agnew, both Americans, while receiver/returner Janarion Grant was added to the suspended list.

Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea on Grant, the CFL's all-star kick returner: "Just needed some time. Personal reasons."

The release of Anctil impacts the fight for the punting chores leaving incumbent Marc Liegghio to battle with Globals Karl Schmitz and Jamieson Sheahan. Liegghio is also battling Sergio Castillo and Chandler Staton for the placekicking gig.

"The punter we released (Anctil) had a huge leg and punted a beautiful ball. It's just the decision we made," said O'Shea. "He was very good, too. I think that tells you where we're at with the competition with the good guys we still have in camp."

The final cuts will come after the two preseason games.

'NEW' LIDS: Blue Bombers offensive and defensive linemen and running backs were all wearing the new 'Guardian Caps' at practice on Wednesday as part of the new health and safety measures implemented by the CFL's Medical Committee. The Guardian Caps are a padded shell which is affixed to the outside of a helmet, with the research showing that it can help reduce the severity of impact by at least 10 percent, or at least 20 percent when worn by both players in contact.

"It's better for the health of the players, better for the health of the league," said Blue Bombers right tackle Jermarcus Hardrick. "If it?s something they want to do and it's something Coach O'Shea said to do and the CFL said to do, I'm all in.

"My son plays 7-on-7 in the offseason and they wear these. I support it. I had to buy my son one, so this is nothing new to me."

One more from Hardrick, who remains as gregarious as ever at practice everyday, on the joy of being back in Bomberland:

"I'm getting a little wiser in age, so I'm enjoying everything, enjoying all the moments. It's just good to be back, man. There's nothing like growing and I credit Marty (Costello, offensive line coach) and Coach O'Shea for continuing to help me grow as a person first and as a player. The conversations I have with Marty and Osh in the offseason over the last eight years have just been so helpful to my life and in the way I'm raising my kids, in the way I grow, the way to think and help people and taking on that type of mindset.

"It's great to be back to football. Football is football when I'm in my 12th year as a pro, but it's about being a better person, being a better teammate, being a better husband, being an easier guy to coach and an easier guy for the training staff. It's about trying to do that every day.

"Most of my conversations in the offseason with O'Shea are not football related. I'm always calling him and asking him about life - how did he do this, how did he do that, and he's an open book. That's the biggest thing I can tell you about Osh - you can call him up and he'll answer the phone and he's an open book. He can be vulnerable with me, so it's easy for me to be vulnerable with him."

FYI: O'Shea on receiver Rasheed Bailey, who took less in free agency to remain with the Blue Bombers and the value he brings to the team:

"We all know what Rasheed can do. He was very productive for us last year and you look at what he does without the ball - and not a lot of people focus on that - but you could do a whole highlight reel on what he does without the ball."... And one more from O'Shea on QB Dru Brown, a player we wrote about earlier in the week in this piece:

"He absolutely loves studying the game of football. He's a good athlete. He's a fierce competitor. He's a good teammate. All these things are excellent for us and he just keeps learning and getting better. I'm sure he understands his role here - for now."... The Blue Bombers continue to give some veterans a breather during camp, including LB Adam Bighill, along with FB Mike Miller and RB Brady Oliveira, who did not practise on Wednesday, as well as CB Winston Rose and WR Brendan O'Leary-Orange, among others.

WELCOME: To Michael Fletcher, who has joined the club for training camp as a guest coach. A CFL All-Star at the middle linebacker position with Toronto in 2005, he was also part of the Argos 2004 Grey Cup squad alongside Mike O'Shea.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/17/quick-hits-training-camp-day-4-2/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 18, 2023, 01:53:38 AM
Good point Nic

What is Ed Tait up to?

No official reports posted on here since camp day 2

GM...if you read through this thread you will see all 4 of Ed Tait's Training Camp articles are posted here.  We put them up at the end of each day's practice.  Just FYI.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 18, 2023, 01:20:04 AM
That may be but we have a starting MLB and our WIL has gone to the 6 game IR. Bombers have rotated in Gauthier, Briggs and Clements at MLB. It's early days and I'd expect to see him getting reps at WIL as well.

So starter at WIL could be in question but MLB certainly isn't.

Are any of the other rookie LB's getting work at WIL at the moment?

Until we see Bighill step on the field, it kind of is.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 18, 2023, 02:57:41 AM
GM...if you read through this thread you will see all 4 of Ed Tait's Training Camp articles are posted here.  We put them up at the end of each day's practice.  Just FYI.

And we always appreciate the work Tait does.

It just never has any info on what is happening on the field.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on May 18, 2023, 11:46:30 AM
And we always appreciate the work Tait does.

It just never has any info on what is happening on the field.
same
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on May 18, 2023, 11:40:29 AM
Until we see Bighill step on the field, it kind of is.

No real reason to suspect there is an issue with Bighill. He's at camp isn't he? He wasn't moved to 6 game IR as was done with Wilson and we have no suggestion of any pre camp injury?

In any case, I don't feel any need for a pessimistic view quite yet. If there is an issue, we'll know soon enough.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 18, 2023, 02:02:22 PM
No real reason to suspect there is an issue with Bighill. He's at camp isn't he? He wasn't moved to 6 game IR as was done with Wilson and we have no suggestion of any pre camp injury?

In any case, I don't feel any need for a pessimistic view quite yet. If there is an issue, we'll know soon enough.

No reason to be concerned or not as far as I can discern, however, I don't remember a training camp where he sat out the first week either.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 18, 2023, 02:27:58 PM
No reason to be concerned or not as far as I can discern, however, I don't remember a training camp where he sat out the first week either.

He's another year older and many veterans will see maintenance time during TC and the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

AB4 has been a busy guy. Fulltime job, making commercials, not a lot of time for TC.  maybe next week. lol.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

AB4 has nothing to learn/prove in TC, and him sitting the first week opens up lots of first team reps for potential backups to learn/prove in.

I wonder if anyone has watched him, is he just standing around, or is he perhaps looking like a "guest coach".  Not sure if he needs a post playing football position, his current side hustle is probably a lot more lucrative than CFL coaching, but one has to wonder, guys with a passion...  players can have side gigs, they have limited time practicing and working out.  Coaches, though, from what I've seen, are there before the players and remain long after the players leave...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Quote from: theaardvark on May 18, 2023, 03:42:54 PM
AB4 has nothing to learn/prove in TC, and him sitting the first week opens up lots of first team reps for potential backups to learn/prove in.

I wonder if anyone has watched him, is he just standing around, or is he perhaps looking like a "guest coach".  Not sure if he needs a post playing football position, his current side hustle is probably a lot more lucrative than CFL coaching, but one has to wonder, guys with a passion...  players can have side gigs, they have limited time practicing and working out.  Coaches, though, from what I've seen, are there before the players and remain long after the players leave...

He is there in partial uniform. I heard them call him over to be part of a drill but not as a player. He looks perfectly fine. Throws and runs without discomfort. He does stuff on the sideline too on his own. Does not appear to be rehabbing. Probably being rested is my guess.

"guest coach" is a good description too.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Zach Schnitzer

It was freezing at TC today. Staton hit one off the post but otherwise the kickers looked good. Castillo missed one from about 52 yds. Holm made a nice play that caused an INT.
#fortheW

ModAdmin

"I never would have thought I'd be up here playing football."

True story: Jamieson Sheahan - a proud product of Bendigo, Australia, which just so happens to be some 15,000 kilometres from Winnipeg - spent his youth dreaming of a career playing for the Bombers. No, not our Blue Bombers but the Essendon Bombers of the Australian Football League.

And so, this story is as much about the many roads Sheahan has travelled to get here to the Blue Bombers - from a career with Essendon in the second division of the AFL, the Victorian Football League, to a scholarship at the University of Cal-Berkeley and then all the way to Winnipeg - as it is about perseverance and chasing a dream.

"I was just thinking about that last night. It's been a wild journey," began Sheahan in a chat with bluebombers.com following another day of Blue Bombers training camp. "This is the fourth type of football I've played now. I grew up playing soccer, then switched to Australian Rules Football, then played in America in college and now I'm up here in Canada.......

More on Jamieson Sheahan's football journey here!

Nic16

As waffler posted Biggie shows no signs of injury. It certainly looks like he is just getting the start of TC off. And I would expect he receives the load mgmt treatment throughout the year.

This also gives the coaching staff a good look at Barrington Wade, and at the same time gives him the reps needed to speed up the learning process.

GOLDMEMBER

Love to continue to know how Wade is doing?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!