Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

The Blue Bombers also released 11 players, cutting American quarterback Billy Hall, Global receiver Timothy Knuettel, American offensive lineman Payton Muljo, Canadian offensive lineman Brandon Sanford, American defensive linemen Jadrian Taylor and Julius Turner, American linebacker Christian Dixon, Canadian defensive back Charles-Antoine Beaulieu, American defensive backs Gee Stanley and Deuce Wallace, and American punter Devin Anctil.

Winnipeg also signed American receiver Sean Coyne and American defensive lineman Keenan Agnew.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/17/winnipeg-blue-bombers-suspend-returner-janarion-grant-release-11/

blue_gold_84

Quote from: NewBlue on May 17, 2023, 01:46:45 PM
Hope he's just late getting to Camp and its not anything big.

He's here according to Ed Tait, but hasn't participated as of yet.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Definitely getting a little worried that Bighill and Grant haven't practiced.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers transactions - May 17, 2023

WINNIPEG, MB., May 17, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to roster:

American wide receiver Sean Coyne (5-10, 185,  UNH, July 14, 1998 in Portsmouth, RI)
American defensive tackle Keenan Agnew (6-0, 290, Southern Illinois, January 3, 1999 in Chesterfield, MO)

Released from roster:

American defensive tackle Julius Turner
American quarterback Billy Hall
Global receiver Timothy Knuettel
National offensive lineman Brandon Sanford
American defensive lineman Jadrian Taylor
American linebacker Christian Dixon
American offensive lineman Payton Muljo
American punter Devin Anctil
American defensive back Deuce Wallace
American defensive back Gee Stanley
National defensive back Charles-Antoine Beaulieu

Transferred to suspended list:

Receiver/returner Janarion Grant
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

The plot thickens so to speak. I don't think we have to worry about Grant being put on the suspended list until we hear otherwise. He doesn't need to participate IMO.

1. Down to 2 rookie import DB's. Our secondary choices are solid.
2. Down to 2 rookie import DE's and 2 at DT. Cooper is still here so he's in the mix at DE as a 2nd year player.

There are about 4 specific players I thought might be cut in this round but are still here.

I also am surprised we didn't trim a few more receivers. We have 7 rookie imports and 3 returning PR players from 2022.  Veteran receivers is our deepest depth on the team.

Either we're very happy with the rookies on the DL and LB's or we should be adding a few new faces while releasing a receiver or two? Perhaps we should be adding in those spots in any case to see who is available?

EDIT: I wonder if we consider bring back LS Latour as a choice for depth. Who is our current back up?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Haven't heard a peep from either camp about that young receiver from Transcona Mekhi Tyrell, don't even see him listed on the roster.

gobombersgo

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 17, 2023, 04:50:35 PM
Haven't heard a peep from either camp about that young receiver from Transcona Mekhi Tyrell, don't even see him listed on the roster.
He's attending the practices but is just watching. There's got to be an injury there as the 3 other Rifles are participating in the practices.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on May 17, 2023, 05:18:04 PM
He's attending the practices but is just watching. There's got to be an injury there as the 3 other Rifles are participating in the practices.

That's too bad, it's going to be difficult for them to give him a fair look if he can't participate in camp, hopefully we get to see him perform in a pre-seaon game.

pjrocksmb

I'll eat crow on Deuce, I thought he would make it, maybe I just liked the name lol

Sure hope Biggie and Grant get reps

We want to see what the receivers can do so we keep them as long as possible (my guess)

DM83

The kid from Transcona should go back to class and get an education. He should try to qualify for a scholarship if he's lucky, and play with boys his own age, and develop accordingly.

This is no more than a publicity stunt.  Perhaps the Blue should work with guys who are CIS and at worst Okanagan Juniors.  Our best High schoolers often pick the BC Junior league as it is presumably better.

Nic16

Since we are not getting much of anything for TC reports from the media so I will offer up a few notes from the 2 practices I attended.
Offence
- ZC looks in mid-season form.
- Brown is unquestionably #2.
- Oliveira showed some real good bursts and IMO looks even more like a faster version of AH33.
- the #1 offence has no surprise starters.
- Agudosi looks 100% healthy and hopefully he can stay that way.
- Pico Harrison was noticeable on day 1. He looked good in 1v1.
- Demski looks even more confident and dangerous in his routes.
- Great to see Richmond finally practicing. A big athletic looking OT that is being groomed for LT.
- The battles are clearly for PR spots.
Defence
- Thomas looks like stiff competition for Walker at DT.
- the new guy Wade has a presence. A big strong athletic NFL-like MLB.
- no changes in the secondary, but with Houston now healthy I can see him pushing his way into a starters role.

The AR looks pretty much set, but it looks like there could be a few real nice additions to the DI spots & PR.

Blue In BC

I'd think Wade is in the hunt at WIL but would think he'd start the season as a DI adapting to the CFL.

Walker isn't a bad DT but if Thomas pushes him to a DI role, that's not a bad thing either.

We re-signed QB Pigrome?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 18, 2023, 12:24:00 AM
I'd think Wade is in the hunt at WIL but would think he'd start the season as a DI adapting to the CFL.

Walker isn't a bad DT but if Thomas pushes him to a DI role, that's not a bad thing either.

We re-signed QB Pigrome?
Wade is getting looked at middle linebacker.

Blue In BC

Quote from: gobombersgo on May 18, 2023, 12:36:56 AM
Wade is getting looked at middle linebacker.

That may be but we have a starting MLB and our WIL has gone to the 6 game IR. Bombers have rotated in Gauthier, Briggs and Clements at MLB. It's early days and I'd expect to see him getting reps at WIL as well.

So starter at WIL could be in question but MLB certainly isn't.

Are any of the other rookie LB's getting work at WIL at the moment?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Good point Nic

What is Ed Tait up to?

No official reports posted on here since camp day 2
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!