Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewBlue

Quote from: Pigskin on May 15, 2023, 08:26:46 PM
Totally agree, Caleb Thomas is a load. 6'1" 300lbs. He might give Walker a run for that starting DT spot.

Kickers: All three kickers are looking very good. Nobody is missing much, if anything.  Staton could be a cheaper option then Castillo. Leggs does seem to have a little more leg strength this season.

We'll have to hop this new Thomas kid pans out as with Goodson not reporting (suspended?) he doesn't really have any competetion.

LXTSN

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 15, 2023, 07:07:23 PM
I should have also mentioned Caleb Thomas (DT#92) - he sure seemed like a handful out there for the OL.
LOVE to hear it!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 16, 2023, 01:30:33 AM
Some teams use a DI spot for a receiver.  It would be similar to doing that. Reduces the wear and tear on the entire corps. Keep in mind we will likely use O-Leary-Orange in rotation as well. One reason is to assist in his development / succession and the other is need to rest players.

The only question is which player comes off and why on a given play. When you have a big lead you can take starters off the field more often for example.

This helps me understand the strategy thanks man

Blue In BC

There are always many battles in TC that will be of interest. Not to downplay any of them but I'd be particularly interested in how are 2023 draft choices are looking.  I have an expectation that 3 or 4 will make the AR due to openings.

Any info would be appreciated for those attending TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 16, 2023, 04:38:06 PM
There are always many battles in TC that will be of interest. Not to downplay any of them but I'd be particularly interested in how are 2023 draft choices are looking.  I have an expectation that 3 or 4 will make the AR due to openings.

Any info would be appreciated for those attending TC.
those are difficult to tell much of any worth due to there position DE STer
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp - Day 2

Notes and quotes from Day 2 of Blue Bombers training camp:

COLLAROS, BROWN, AND...:
The Blue Bombers have got considerable mileage out of the No. 3 QB spot over the last few years, from Dan LeFevour to Chris Streveler to Sean McGuire and Dakota Prukop last year.

Prukop left this winter for the USFL and more playing time, leaving the third QB spot behind Zach Collaros and Dru Brown wide open. Billy Hall of Reinhardt University and Josh Jones of UNC-Pembrooke remain in camp, along with CFL Canadian QB Internship pivot Arnaud Desjardins of Laval.

Here's Coach Mike O'Shea on what they're looking for at that position:

"We're looking to find out what they do really well and trying to keep them in that groove. And as they go along, learn the system and give them more - that's the type of progression you get from any young quarterback you bring into this league that's not used to playing against 12 defenders, wider field and all those things.

"I think Buck (Pierce, offensive coordinator) does a great job of making sure he's adding more to their plate but also seeing what they can do and trying to keep it progressing forward in a real positive way. We'll see where they all end up.

"There's different ways to do it. You either say, 'Here's our system. We're very rigid. We're bringing people in to fit that system. If you don't fit the system, you're gone.' We look at it the other way - what can they do and how do we put them on the field and have them be successful."

KICKER WATCH: For what it's worth, Sergio Castillo, Marc Liegghio and Chandler Staton were a combined 9-for-9 in field goal attempts, the longest distance covering 50 yards.

The club also has three impressive punters still in camp, along with Liegghio, in Kansas State product Devin Anctil and the two players selected in the CFL Global Draft - Jamieson Sheahan and Karl Schmitz.

FYI: WR/KR Janarion Grant has yet to practice, but O'Shea said he will be good to go. Ditto for LB Adam Bighill. "He'll be on soon enough," O'Shea said of Bighill. "He doesn't need the reps. We've got a lot of guys to look at, too."... O'Shea on Stanley Bryant, who recently turned 37:

"He's that old? He has a lot of fun, he likes being around the guys and he's just so **** good he just keeps rolling. He's good. He's the best. As long as he wants to play. We'll see, but he just keeps showing up and getting the job done. As long as he's having fun doing it, why would you want to stop?"... One more from O'Shea on Tui Eli, who he raved about on Sunday:

"He is just a great human being. Brings a lot of joy to the locker room. He's always bringing his best and that's not always on the field but just in the locker room with his attitude every day. He's a fun guy to be around."

Asked about the effect of that - bringing joy to the locker room - he added:

"It's contagious. If you walk into a locker room and there's a bunch of guys moping around all the time, it's hard to be around. People start to just divest themselves of that person. They try at first to bring the guy up, find out what's wrong and see if we can't help you out. But over the course of time if you're never happy then you're tough to be around... unless you're so grumpy it's comical all the time then you're fun to be around."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/15/quick-hits-training-camp-day-2-2/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 16, 2023, 05:30:28 PM
those are difficult to tell much of any worth due to there position DE STer

I had the DB's in mind in particular. Even though none are expected to be starters, they will provid depth lost during the off season. We really only have Hallett as actual depth. Kramdi is a back up at SAM more than in the secondary.

So I'm curious about how much work the Canadians are getting and whether anyone stands out. Obviously they will earn an AR spot as much on their work on ST's than  as DB's, but some assessment might be available as TC progresses.

I only count 3 rookie import DB's but we have something like 6 rookie Canadian DB's to consider. 

Expectation is for Bennett to make the AR almost by default due to need for rotational player on the DL. Losing Hansen also increased that need.  Bennett may be the only rookie Canadian DL. The 2 DT's may be returning to university for 1 more year.

Rosary might have a shot on the AR if he can play ST's. He seems to have skills as a RB, receiver and returner. I'm really expecting if he does well he will more probably end up on the PR but wouldn't rule out a role on AR just yet.  He might be another Augustine type individual.

Realistically I don't imagine any OL or WR to make the AR barring injury. They will spend time on the PR initially.  There are only 2 Canadian LB / LS types and I'd also guess PR or bust?

All of this is based on steep hill to climb for some rookies and other easier path ( DB & DE ) for others at the moment.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

I see Malcolm Thompson is still a F.A., for a Natl. I thought he played pretty well at the beginning of last season beating out Hallett initially at Safety, while Alexander recovered from injury.  Obviously pro football evaluators saw it differently.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 16, 2023, 07:57:23 PM
I see Malcolm Thompson is still a F.A., for a Natl. I thought he played pretty well at the beginning of last season beating out Hallett initially at Safety, while Alexander recovered from injury.  Obviously pro football evaluators saw it differently.

I really like the way Thompson played. However, he also had a season ending injury. Could it be his injury that's holding him back.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Waffler

Practice might look different soon.  The league has mandated the guardian cap. And during the games there will be medical tents.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/05/16/new-health-and-safety-measures-introduced-to-further-safeguard-players/

Good ideas.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Waffler on May 16, 2023, 10:25:59 PM
Practice might look different soon.  The league has mandated the guardian cap. And during the games there will be medical tents.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/05/16/new-health-and-safety-measures-introduced-to-further-safeguard-players/

Good ideas.
Agree thanks for the link

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training camp - Day 3

Notes and quotes from Blue Bombers training camp...

GOOD TO BE HERE: There's an obvious excitement in Barrington Wade's voice and the source of it is obvious: the man is just thrilled to be out here at Blue Bombers camp doing what he loves and chasing his dream.

"It's been really good," Wade began after practice Tuesday. "The biggest thing I was just adjusting to was just being back out here. It's been a while since I've played. I haven't really been on the field since (last) August. It's been fun being back, seeing the new scenery and being around a team again.

"I'm super happy to be back. It's all I've been thinking about, all I've wanted to do. Every day I come out here I'm excited."

A University of Iowa product who has had NFL looks from the Baltimore and Denver, Wade was first spied by Blue Bombers scout Cyril Penn last year during Broncos training camp. The club then signed him in the offseason.

"They told me they wanted me and I was like, 'Yeah.' Instantly I said, 'Yeah' because even with me being out for so long I've never stopped training," he said. "I've always been ready and waiting. The moment I got a call from somebody I was definitely ready to go."

You can read more about Wade and how he was found by the Blue Bombers in Cyril's piece here:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/09/tales-from-the-scouting-trail-barrington-wade/

"My want-to to get back playing is very high," said Wade. "I thought about it every single day. I know for a lot of guys it's really hard mentally. That's the toughest thing - to stay focussed and keep working - because you never know if you're going to get a shot again.For me, training and working and pushing myself a lot is how I clear my head. I just kept believing I would get another shot."

That comes with an element of uncertainty, though. And Wade found his inspiration through that from his family.

"I have a lot to play for," he said. "I believe I have a God-given ability to play. I care for my family a lot and I want to make them proud. My brother dreamed of me being on a field and watching me play on TV and so that's something big for me. He matters a lot to me."

COMING SOON...
: to CFL training camps... a new safety initiative that is very well explained in this piece from the CFL:

FYI: Teams must reduce their rosters to 75, plus non-counters (draft picks, junior players) by 11 p.m. Tuesday night... OL Drew Richmond spent all of last year recovering from a knee injury suffered in November of 2021.

It was an injury which would have had many walking away from the game. But the big tackle is back, and the club is thrilled to see him working. "It takes a lot to take that through the end," said head coach Mike O'Shea. "What's excellent is he must have kept his eye on the finish line which was a little bit off in the distance, but he focussed every single day to be ready. You've got to work every day to be back. He's definitely showed enough that we want to look at him."."... Spotted at training camp: University of Manitoba Bisons head coach Brian Dobie, who was showing a prospective recruit around the facility, as well as Winnipeg Rifles head coach Geordie Wilson.

"Brian is quite often around the facility and it's a pretty good partnership between both clubs," said O'Shea. "And Geordie... there should be a good push from the Bombers to support the Rifles. It's good football, so to have more guys playing in our community is a good thing."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/16/quick-hits-training-camp-day-3-2/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Janarion Grant put on the suspended list.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

NewBlue

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 17, 2023, 01:34:05 PM
Janarion Grant put on the suspended list.

Hope he's just late getting to Camp and its not anything big.

gobombersgo

Quote from: NewBlue on May 17, 2023, 01:46:45 PM
Hope he's just late getting to Camp and its not anything big.
He's been at camp all week so it should be just a numbers thing. Although I don't see him on the field today.