Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdirks67

Quote from: bomb squad on May 14, 2023, 04:13:15 PM
#6 Matt Cole import Db standing out a bit. Very athletic.

He looked very fast out there, but he got beat up pretty good a couple times in coverage. But you can't teach speed...

Kenny Lawler and Winston Rose had some hard-fought (but friendly) battles going today.

The first string offense looked really sharp. If they can stay healthy and the OL can play up to the standards we're used to, oh my...they will be a handful.

Zach Schnitzer

#fortheW

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 14, 2023, 07:23:29 PM
Cedrick Lavigne cut? The kid had nice size and a good motor. Montreal will probably snap him up by the end of the day.

I would think some of these super early TC cuts are not related to past or potential future performance, more likely to be
related to injury, conditioning or a personal disagreement the player has with the club regarding their future.  As for Lavigne and Jaivon Heiligh, I think they probably declined their invitation to TC for whatever reasons.

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 14, 2023, 08:56:24 PM
I would think some of these super early TC cuts are not related to past or potential future performance, more likely to be
related to injury, conditioning or a personal disagreement the player has with the club regarding their future.  As for Lavigne and Jaivon Heiligh, I think they probably declined their invitation to TC for whatever reasons.

O'Shea mentioned in today's presser that Hallett's release was expected on everyone's part and was decided a long time ago. He's very open to Hallett's return when his injury permits him to do so.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/14/coach-oshea-may-14th/

kkc60

Heileigh was at rookie camp iirc so not too sure that?s the case

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp - Day One

Quick Hits - Training Camp - Day 1

Notes and quotes from the first day of Blue Bombers training camp...

EYES AHEAD: The Blue Bombers opened main camp with six kickers - incumbent Marc Liegghio, who handled the placekicking, punting and kickoff chores last year - veteran Sergio Castillo, one of the heroes of the 2021 championship who is back for a third stint with the club, rookie placekicker Chandler Staton, Kansas State punter Devin Anctil and two Global punters in Jamieson Sheahan and Karl Schmitz.

Every single one of them is scrapping for a share of the kicking duties.

"I've met all the guys briefly for a couple days now and I met them more today," Liegghio said.
"They all seem like really cool guys and I?m looking forward to working with them in camp. It's just like having a few more friends with us in camp. Competition is going to be at any camp you go to, so it's just coming out here and doing your thing and keep doing what you do.

"You've just got to stick with it like you're the only guy out here. You put the work in the offseason, so you come in and do your thing, have the coaches evaluate you and then you get feedback and move on from there."

Liegghio said he wants to again handle all the kicking, but added "whatever the team needs to help them win, I'll do whatever they want me to do."

Castillo, meanwhile, carries that cred of having hit massive kicks before for the Blue Bombers - he was 5-for-5 in the 2021 Grey Cup - and has a veteran presence that brings confidence to a veteran crew.

"It's definitely good to be back; it just feels like home coming back and seeing all the familiar faces," he said. "I'm definitely ready to get this show on the road.

"I'm just grateful to have a job. When you think about it, there's 32 teams in the NFL, there's nine here and another 16 with the USFL and XFL, so less than 60 jobs in the whole world. I'm grateful to have a job and then grateful to be in a position with this team here. There's something special here. They've been building it... I know I've been here since 2015 and to see where it's gone from then to now with the core values the same, that's when I know its real.

"The way I see it, it is what it is. I can't change the situation so whatever situation it is, I'm going to attack whatever way I can and be the best version of myself - it doesn't what they do, if I don't bring my 'A' game it doesn't matter. It only matters what I bring on a daily basis."

- -

NEW FACES/SO LONG/ETC:
The Blue Bombers massaged their roster prior to the first day of main training camp, adding four players, releasing a dozen, moving two to the suspended list and DE Thiadric Hanson and LB Kyrie Wilson to the six-game injured list.

The new faces include:

-WR Braxton Westfield (Carson-Newman)
-DT Julius Turner (Rutgers)
-Canadian OL Jakub Szott (McMaster)
-Global punter Jamieson Sheahan (California)

Released from the roster were RB TaZhawn Henry, QB Cooper Callis, OL Tyler Grisolia, P Chris MacLean, K Marc Orozco, DB Cedrick Lavigne, WR Michael O?Shea, DB Jordan Brown, DB Tyrique McGhee, DB Karon Delince, DB Noah Hallett and WR Jaivon Heiligh.

O'Shea, it should be pointed out, appeared to be injured in Friday's practice session.

"It's pro football. It happens," said head coach Mike O'Shea of the difficulty of having to release his son. "I got cut, too, a few times."

O'Shea did add that it?s a hard conversation cutting every player, while also mentioning that Hallett could return when he is fully recovered from his offseason knee surgery.

"He?s not going to pass his medical right now," he said. "That conversation you have with Noah you have five months ago with how this is going to play out. He's on board. We loved having him around and he'll keep working."

DB Will Allen Jr. and DT O?Bryan Goodson were both moved to the suspended list.

- -

FYI: DT Jake Thomas has not yet arrived for camp but is expected soon as he makes his way from his offseason base in New Brunswick... O'Shea said Sunday's practice was "extremely clean. There?s value to that. Our guys show up and they know exactly what to do and how to do it and that makes the jobs of the coaches a little easier."... Chris Kolankowski took the first reps at centre Sunday, for what it's worth... A handful of veterans did not practice including LBs Adam Bighill and Jesse Briggs and receiver Brendan O'Leary-Orange... Former Blue Bomber OL Val St. Germain is in camp as one of the guest coaches. Acadia head coach Jeff Cummins will also soon be making his annual appearance. Also expected is former Toronto RB Michael Fletcher, who was most recently a defensive analyst at Arizona State.

LIVING THE DREAM:
OL Tui Eli was back in Blue Bombers colours for the first time since the 2021 Western Final. He was suspended for the Grey Cup after making the decision to not be vaccinated and returns after sitting out last season.

"I'll tell you about my interaction with him today," said O'Shea. "He's snapping at the beginning of practice, and I just look at him and say, 'How's that feel, Tui?' And he says, 'I'm living the dream.' Now, you pass people in the hallway on a weekly basis, and they say, 'I'm living the dream' and they say it in a way that you know they're not. But when Tui says it, you know he absolutely is from the look on his face and the way he says it, the way he communicates with you you 100 percent absolutely know that he is living the dream right then and there. I appreciate that. It just gives you another perspective."

Eli gives the Blue Bombers options at both guard and centre and O'Shea said the club welcomed him back not just because he was an important part of the '21 cup run.

"He's such a good human being," O'Shea said. "There would be no other choice. If you made a choice to not support him, you would be going against humanity - I don't know how else to say it. If you get to know him a little bit you know how good a person he is. He deserves our support."

QUOTABLE: "From Day 1 of free agency - even from Day 1 of our offseason I knew where I wanted to be. After the game I was able to play Winnipeg, me and my family stayed in the Winnipeg locker room for about an hour. The love that I have for these guys is real. I can't explain it... when you go to war with guys, man, and you develop a relationship with them, words can't really describe it. This bond is special that I've got with these guys.

"There was no thinking about where I was going to go. It was 'For the W' and FIFO.? - Kenny Lawler.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/14/quick-hits-training-camp-day-one/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Re conversation carried over from the rookie camp string:

I don't believe Gauthier will be starting at WIL in game 1. I just felt I couldn't rule it out 100%. When Wilson was injured in 2022 I expected Clements to be the starter but that didn't happen. Gauthier played fairly well.

We chose to start 8 Canadians for several games when we had Clements and another rookie LB as a DI.

For 2023 I'm also not convinced that  any of Clements, Cole or Cooper won't be beat out by rookie LB's. Cooper is now designated as a DE.  If that happens we might not want a rookie starting in game 1.

We'll see who steps up and whether Clements take the role as starter or a newbie. We may see a transitional situation.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Why the surprise about Heilegh so to speak? IIRC he barely even had any PR time let alone game experience. He just stopped in for a cup of coffee so to speak. In that sense the team has a longer look at him than newbies got in mini camp.

He was very young and didn't seem to have any pro experience. Bombers have Agudosi, Harrison and McCrae returning and 7 or 8 other import receivers fighting what will probably be PR spots.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2023, 01:28:40 PM
Re conversation carried over from the rookie camp string:

I don't believe Gauthier will be starting at WIL in game 1. I just felt I couldn't rule it out 100%. When Wilson was injured in 2022 I expected Clements to be the starter but that didn't happen. Gauthier played fairly well.

We chose to start 8 Canadians for several games when we had Clements and another rookie LB as a DI.

For 2023 I'm also not convinced that  any of Clements, Cole or Cooper won't be beat out by rookie LB's. Cooper is now designated as a DE.  If that happens we might not want a rookie starting in game 1.

We'll see who steps up and whether Clements take the role as starter or a newbie. We may see a transitional situation.

For sure. Knowing that Wilson will miss time (maybe a lot) right out of the gate makes it easier to find a longer term solution in camp. Also, a lot of people seem to view him as this really fantastic established veteran but he's basically played one full season for us (2019) and then been in and out of the lineup since 2017. Put another way, outside of 2019 his next best season is 7 starts since (and including) 2017.

DM83

Injuries kill careers.

Another year potentially, doesn't look good. for him as a pro athlete.  But never say never.  It's a young man's game, at positions involving running and changing directions.  Good Luck!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 15, 2023, 01:59:25 PM
For sure. Knowing that Wilson will miss time (maybe a lot) right out of the gate makes it easier to find a longer term solution in camp. Also, a lot of people seem to view him as this really fantastic established veteran but he's basically played one full season for us (2019) and then been in and out of the lineup since 2017. Put another way, outside of 2019 his next best season is 7 starts since (and including) 2017.

We'll see if we find some great rookie LB's including one that can take the WIL spot. At the moment I'd think Clements has that spot to lose and he's not a bad player that is still developing I suppose.

What the development curves will be like from 2022 to 2023 TC IDK. Some early reports on newbie LB's were encouraging but it was just rookie camp.

Reports from the main camp will start to show us who is lining up with the 1st teams and how often etc.

Can't complain about anything from the defence in 2022 by in large. 15-3 finish, gave up the least points etc etc.

OTOH I was surprised by the DI depth ( quality ) for the LB's in 2022. Perhaps I'm being harsh based on the results comments starting Gauthier and Briggs for many games. Experience rules.

At the moment we have" Cole, Dixon, Stanley, Wade as rookies and even Maruo that could be in the mix. Obviously Clements may be the best choice to start the season.

I was impressed with Maruo in 2022 and it would be something if we had a Global that was a primary starter or even as the primary back up. That's a ratio advantage that would offset needing to use a DI spot for Castillo.

Of course we don't know how the imports will do and where they will rank.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2023, 01:36:16 PM
Why the surprise about Heilegh so to speak? IIRC he barely even had any PR time let alone game experience. He just stopped in for a cup of coffee so to speak. In that sense the team has a longer look at him than newbies got in mini camp.

He was very young and didn't seem to have any pro experience. Bombers have Agudosi, Harrison and McCrae returning and 7 or 8 other import receivers fighting what will probably be PR spots.

Heilegh was a bad example, I didn't know they had a good look at him during rookie camp.  As for Lavigne who showed well in his short playing time last season, I think the cut is more personal related and not based on his playing ability......of course I'm only speculating.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 05:10:12 PM
Heilegh was a bad example, I didn't know they had a good look at him during rookie camp.  As for Lavigne who showed well in his short playing time last season, I think the cut is more personal related and not based on his playing ability......of course I'm only speculating.

I think you might be engaging in some wishful thinking here.  Lavigne was a seventh round draft pick who only got on the roster for 2 games.  And we drafted a DB in the second round.  I think Lavignge did well just to last as long as he did. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 05:10:12 PM

We drafted 2 DB's this year and have 2 territorial DB's in the mix + Veltri. Janke was signed as a free agent, so the competition is steep.  There might be some expectation that Noah Hallett might return at some point and then there is the Ford situation with the NFL.

OTOH, Lavigne not only had to beat out all those candidates he might be less willing to take on a PR role.

IMO, we have AR spots for 2 of those 6 on the roster right now. Kelly and MacDougall probably get the longest looks but I also thought Veltri sounded promising.  The 2023 was reportedly a deep draft for DB's?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on May 15, 2023, 05:19:11 PM
I think you might be engaging in some wishful thinking here.  Lavigne was a seventh round draft pick who only got on the roster for 2 games.  And we drafted a DB in the second round.  I think Lavignge did well just to last as long as he did. 

I dunno, understandable if he attended rookie camp and they had another look at him, but to cut a second year player before he has a chance to show what he learned during his first season seems cold.  Plenty of undrafted players have made the grade, so draft place is irrelevant.  Can never have enough "Cedric's" on a football team, I'm sticking with that!