Main Training Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 05:51:25 PM
I dunno, understandable if he attended rookie camp and they had another look at him, but to cut a second year player before he has a chance to show what he learned during his first season seems cold.  Plenty of undrafted players have made the grade, so draft place is irrelevant.  Can never have enough "Cedric's" on a football team, I'm sticking with that!

I'm not sure if he was at rookie camp. That seems almost moot after having him on the PR for an entire season in 2022. I don't know anything about him. However they may not have liked his work ethic. His athleticism may have had a low ceiling. He may not have had generally a good skill set.

I don't know that any of the above are true, only that the team had a very long look at him and made a decision. It's not unusual for 2nd year draft choices to not survive into their 2nd season.

Perhaps he gets picked up by another team and does well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 05:51:25 PM
I dunno, understandable if he attended rookie camp and they had another look at him, but to cut a second year player before he has a chance to show what he learned during his first season seems cold.  Plenty of undrafted players have made the grade, so draft place is irrelevant.  Can never have enough "Cedric's" on a football team, I'm sticking with that!

I love cheering for the Rudy's too, but when the dream finally dies, we can't be surprised.  I was a big fan of Rory Kohlert for example...

And while it is true that draft position isn't 100% the last word, if you look through the seventh round for the last 10 years, it is pretty apparent that not too many stick.

But you may be onto something with the name though.   Lavigne spells it "Cedrick" and on a team looking for Cedric, that might be the kiss of death....
grab grass 'n growl

pdirks67

A few things that I noticed at Day 2 of main camp today:

1. Picks: Both Matt Cole (#6) and DeJaun Cooper (#15) had picks today.

2. Kickers: I had a bad vantage point, but I think that Castillo, Staton, and Liegghio made all their FG attempts (might have been one miss by #13). Appreciate if anyone else can confirm.

3. It was made pretty clear who the starters are on offense as they were separated from the rest on a couple of occasions to work on their own. I was wondering if Bailey might get pushed a bit at camp, but he was with the rest of the no-brainers in this group. Agudosi and McRae remained with the challengers.

4. Gavin Garner (WR#77) made a really nice diving catch, and has looked better each day. A big dude, but built more like a TE than Agudosi (doesn't have quite the wingspan). But, he's in pretty tough - not sure how he makes the club in any capacity.

5. Tyrelle Pigrome (QB#3): I didn't see him out there today, but he still appears to be on the roster?

6. Adam Bighill: He's still not practicing - was this expected? I don't think I read anything about him being injured coming into camp?

7. "Starting" Defense: I know it's early, but when the one's came out as a group on defense, Jamal Parker (#7) was consistently at field half with Desmond Lawrence (#22) at field corner. The LB's seemed to be constantly rotated with no one except Darby consistently in there.

8. Feel-Good Moment of the Day?: Cole Adamson got cheered pretty loudly by his OL brethren and Coach on a real good rep against a DL (missed the #). Sure seems like a band of brothers out there.

DM83

Thanks for the update.

The team doesn't play for another month.?? Anyone think Bighill needs any reps for a no-contact practice?  I mean he probably can coach up every position on defence and I am sure he is in shape.

He is a football player's player.

pdirks67

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 15, 2023, 06:52:42 PM

2. Kickers: I had a bad vantage point, but I think that Castillo, Staton, and Liegghio made all their FG attempts (might have been one miss by #13). Appreciate if anyone else can confirm.

3. It was made pretty clear who the starters are on offense as they were separated from the rest on a couple of occasions to work on their own. I was wondering if Bailey might get pushed a bit at camp, but he was with the rest of the no-brainers in this group. Agudosi and McRae remained with the challengers.

4. Gavin Garner (WR#77) made a really nice diving catch, and has looked better each day. A big dude, but built more like a TE than Agudosi (doesn't have quite the wingspan). But, he's in pretty tough - not sure how he makes the club in any capacity.

5. Tyrelle Pigrome (QB#3): I didn't see him out there today, but he still appears to be on the roster?

6. Adam Bighill: He's still not practicing - was this expected? I don't think I read anything about him being injured coming into camp?

7. "Starting" Defense: I know it's early, but when the one's came out as a group on defense, Jamal Parker (#7) was consistently at field half with Desmond Lawrence (#22) at field corner. The LB's seemed to be constantly rotated with no one except Darby consistently in there.

8. Feel-Good Moment of the Day?: Cole Adamson got cheered pretty loudly by his OL brethren and Coach on a real good rep against a DL (missed the #). Sure seems like a band of brothers out there.

I should have also mentioned Caleb Thomas (DT#92) - he sure seemed like a handful out there for the OL.

ModAdmin

Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC
Quick FG session during morning @Wpg_BlueBombers camp - Sergio Castillo, Marc Liegghio and Chandler Staton were all perfect

Gord Barnsley
@WinnipegGordo
2h
Replying to
@EdTaitWFC
and
@Wpg_BlueBombers
I was impressed that Leggs still had good air from 50 yards. I've always been concerned about his leg strength.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

Pigskin

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 15, 2023, 06:52:42 PM

Totally agree, Caleb Thomas is a load. 6'1" 300lbs. He might give Walker a run for that starting DT spot.

Kickers: All three kickers are looking very good. Nobody is missing much, if anything.  Staton could be a cheaper option then Castillo. Leggs does seem to have a little more leg strength this season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Waffler

I'll just add what I saw that was not already mentioned.

Collaros threw to Lawlor a LOT. The chemistry is there maybe better than ever. easily his favorite target. What's the over/under on Lawlor's td stats? Bet over.  Rasheed had a nice catch to end practice too. This offense looks unstoppable truly. Everyone looks good. Also I was reading this "it could actually be advantageous to the Bombers to have Bailey as a reserve, as he qualifies as a ?nationalized Canadian? this year, due to playing three seasons with the same team."  in the Sun and it makes you think.

Schmitz hit a couple bombs that landed in someone else's drill 60 yards away. Nice spirals. Not sure if placement was part of the drill.

As far as QB, we don't have much past Collaros. Thinking the Canadian is just as good as anyone else for 3rd string. 

Not sure what is wrong with Biggie, he is out there running, throwing and looking fine.

Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on May 15, 2023, 09:33:34 PM
I'll just add what I saw that was not already mentioned.

Collaros threw to Lawlor a LOT. The chemistry is there maybe better than ever. easily his favorite target. What's the over/under on Lawlor's td stats? Bet over.  Rasheed had a nice catch to end practice too. This offense looks unstoppable truly. Everyone looks good. Also I was reading this "it could actually be advantageous to the Bombers to have Bailey as a reserve, as he qualifies as a ?nationalized Canadian? this year, due to playing three seasons with the same team."  in the Sun and it makes you think.

Schmitz hit a couple bombs that landed in someone else's drill 60 yards away. Nice spirals. Not sure if placement was part of the drill.

As far as QB, we don't have much past Collaros. Thinking the Canadian is just as good as anyone else for 3rd string. 

Not sure what is wrong with Biggie, he is out there running, throwing and looking fine.

They could use Bailey as the Nationalized American. That would allow the Bombers to have another import receiver on the roster  ( as a non DI ) ( Agudosi ) for example and use Bailey as a rotation player.

It's not a horrible idea and would reduce the load on our receivers.

Grant could also fit that bill but we don't want him taking too many offensive reps and wearing him out as a returner.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 16, 2023, 12:21:59 AM
They could use Bailey as the Nationalized American. That would allow the Bombers to have another import receiver on the roster  ( as a non DI ) ( Agudosi ) for example and use Bailey as a rotation player.

Grant could also fit that bill but we don't want him taking too many offensive reps and wearing him out as a returner.
really don?t get why the bombers wouldn?t take advantage of this. it would keep him fresh too. only issue is the 49% of snaps

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on May 16, 2023, 12:29:59 AM
really don?t get why the bombers wouldn?t take advantage of this. it would keep him fresh too. only issue is the 49% of snaps

I guess if Bailey shared time with Woli, it would leave an opening for Agudosi to start but I don't see the Bombers seriously exploring this option.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 16, 2023, 12:21:59 AM

Agree on Grant

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on May 16, 2023, 12:29:59 AM

Some teams use a DI spot for a receiver.  It would be similar to doing that. Reduces the wear and tear on the entire corps. Keep in mind we will likely use O-Leary-Orange in rotation as well. One reason is to assist in his development / succession and the other is need to rest players.

The only question is which player comes off and why on a given play. When you have a big lead you can take starters off the field more often for example.

2019 Grey Cup Champions