Rookie Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on May 11, 2023, 08:34:32 PM
Wondering why the CFL hsn't amended the GLB initiative in regards to players that are now on above ELC contracts.  If the idea is to develop GLB talent, once they have been developed and become basically INT players/starters, shouldn't there be development roster spots?  With Hansen taking 50% of the GLB Ar spots... you will have to decide between Mauro, Karamoko or a punter to "develop".

That's what the PR is for and 2 spots are dedicated to global spots.  Karamoko is just going into year 2. Maruo is going into year 3.  Global players are already taking Canadian spots on the AR.

It's economics. Increase the size of the roster or replace another Canadian with a 3rd global on the AR? Just from sheer supply and demand finding a global better than an import is not easy.

When an import is injured, someone moves up from the PR, likely to a DI spot. Either the previous DI starts or we end up with a non starting import for awhile. In 2022 when Wilson was injured we started Gauthier as an 8th Canadian.

If one of the 2 globals is injured than another is added from the PR although he may be at a different position etc.

Some teams like the Elks lost $3.3M in 2022 so not every team would be willing to increase the roster size.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Mike O'Shea added some intel on the punters in his presser today. Apparently they get a lot of reps in before practice even starts, so don't go by what we see in publicly-attended practices.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/11/coach-oshea-may-11-2023-social_1/

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Rookie Camp - Day 2

GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION:
The Blue Bombers had a pretty good idea of what they were getting when they selected defensive end Anthony Bennett with the first pick, 8th overall, in the CFL Draft - a high-energy, mature 26-year-old who can contribute on special teams.

And two days into rookie camp they are seeing much of the same.

"Day 2... lovely atmopshere," said Bennett after practice Thursday. "Starting to get in the groove of things and day by day getting better. The intensity is up. I just love the feeling. Honestly, I would say it's everybody is at the pro level, everybody is holding each other accountable and, most importantly, everybody doesn't want to get cut.

"It feels pretty good. Just taking it day by day. Once again, you just don't want to get cut."

As to what he wants to show through the rest of camp, Bennett added:

"That I'm willing to play. That I'm going to fit in this system. I'm a Swiss-Army knife - put me anywhere you want and I'll be there."

HERE COMES THE BOOM:
Friday's final day of Rookie Camp will be a full pads session after two practices without the full gear.

"You certainly want to see a bit of physicality within the line play," said O'Shea. "There's not going to be tackling. There's no whacking guys across the middle... none of that stuff. It's just different because they'll have their pads on. They're going to be huffing and puffing a little more, for sure, from carrying a little extra weight. You want to see if they're going to take on a block, how they take on a block. If they're going to block somebody, you block somebody hard."

"The level of care for your teammate is not going to change. It's not. We're interested in seeing the majority of these guys move on to this next camp and they have to be able to perform so just running them around and letting them go crazy doesn't make any sense."

FYI: Here's O'Shea's explanation on the move of Cole Adamson from defensive tackle to offensive guard: "We think he's best suited there. With Jake (Thomas) and Cam (Lawson) it would have been tough sledding for him to get on (the roster, as a defensive tackle). We like that if he's training as an O-lineman he's also versatile and can play D-line. We know he can do that. It's just one of those things - we believe he's going to have a longer career if he can master O-line.

Now, it's not an easy transition. It is not easy. Chris Van Zeyl it worked for. Jeff Keeping it worked for. But it takes time to figure it out. Look at those guys, that transition takes a couple of years."... We told the story of former Navy SEAL Damian Jackson, the D-lineman/long snapper trying out for the Blue Bombers. O'Shea was asked for his impressions after the first couple of days of practice:

"He uses hands well plays with good leverage."

"The thing that stands out the most is the sheer number of reps he's taking. He just keeps lining up. Our numbers are a little bit lacking in a couple of areas and he just keeps lining up in those spots."

The Jackson story is here:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/10/you-just-ask-him-and-hell-line-up-and-do-it-hes-a-tough-dude-hes-mature/

One more from Coach, on placekicker Chandler Staton:

"What you notice about him right away is basically the ball flies the same every time off his foot. It looks the same. You liken it to a golfer who just changes the club and has the same swing. He's got the same swing over and over and over and the ball flies the same over and over and over. He's got a calmness to him and a bit of a sense of humour. He's fairly relaxed. We've only known him for a few days here, but at that combine (in the offseason) he showed a lot of confidence and just made kicks."...

O'Shea said the club hasn't yet examined how, or if, the roster has to be trimmed before Sunday's main camp. The staff is scheduled to meet on Saturday, a non-practice day, before the main camp opens.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/11/quick-hits-rookie-camp-day-2-2/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Of course the roster has to be trimmed before the main TC. We have 108 players including 7 kickers and 7 QB's . O'Shea just being politically correct.

I'd think some decisions have already been made and fully expect some players to be released before the final rookie camp day.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 01:29:44 PM
Of course the roster has to be trimmed before the main TC. We have 108 players including 7 kickers and 7 QB's . O'Shea just being politically correct.

I'd think some decisions have already been made and fully expect some players to be released before the final rookie camp day.
Im wondering if Mike O'Shea makes the cut....sounds like he's made an impression with Zach already.....tough, reads well and makes plays
Bomber fan for life

M.O.A.B.

New DT in town Caleb Thomas (Louisiana-Monroe)
and another RB Jordan Salima (Truman State)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 12, 2023, 01:35:10 PM
Im wondering if Mike O'Shea makes the cut....sounds like he's made an impression with Zach already.....tough, reads well and makes plays

I have no problem with him developing on the PR for a year, O'Shea can use those spots as he likes.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 12, 2023, 04:13:43 PM
I have no problem with him developing on the PR for a year, O'Shea can use those spots as he likes.

Agree. We kept Mourtada on the PR for a year, so what's different if we keep MOSJr there this year.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 12, 2023, 05:09:00 PM
Agree. We kept Mourtada on the PR for a year, so what's different if we keep MOSJr there this year.

None in theory. OTOH we drafted 2 receivers although Rosery is now listed as a RB.  So keeping 3 on the PR would be tough.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Here's some observations from Day 3 of rookie camp:

1. Kickers: The coaches had Orozco and Staton start at around the 30, and then moved as far back as the 52 yard line. I believe Staton was 5/5 with plenty of distance, while Orozco had one doink off the upright.

2. Punters: Pretty much the same as yesterday - consistently inconsistent during the public portion of practice.

3. Gavin Garner (WR#77): Had a much better day today, and looked like a mauler after the catch (pads were on, so we got to see some physicality).

4. DeJaun Cooper (DE#15): He was very noticeable today - saw him slide right past the tackles on multiple occasions. I haven't watched the OL or DL much prior to the pads going on today, so maybe he's been there to see the whole time.

5. Souleymane Karamoko (DB#42): He was playing field side half and looked good out there again.

6. Rookie Canadian DT's (Schmekel and Kornelson): DL coach Darrell Patterson took just the two of them aside for extended periods as other drills were going on to work on technique.

M.O.A.B.

I believe both Schmekel and Kornelson still have a year eligibility left so they can still go back to their respective universities.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 12, 2023, 06:30:32 PM
Here's some observations from Day 3 of rookie camp:

1. Kickers: The coaches had Orozco and Staton start at around the 30, and then moved as far back as the 52 yard line. I believe Staton was 5/5 with plenty of distance, while Orozco had one doink off the upright.

2. Punters: Pretty much the same as yesterday - consistently inconsistent during the public portion of practice.

3. Gavin Garner (WR#77): Had a much better day today, and looked like a mauler after the catch (pads were on, so we got to see some physicality).

4. DeJaun Cooper (DE#15): He was very noticeable today - saw him slide right past the tackles on multiple occasions. I haven't watched the OL or DL much prior to the pads going on today, so maybe he's been there to see the whole time.

5. Souleymane Karamoko (DB#42): He was playing field side half and looked good out there again.

6. Rookie Canadian DT's (Schmekel and Kornelson): DL coach Darrell Patterson took just the two of them aside for extended periods as other drills were going on to work on technique.

Cooper was listed as a LB in 2022 IIRC and during the off season.  He has no defensive stats in 2022.   He seems a little light and is the lightest of all our candidates at DE.

Now the " title " is somewhat irrelevant but I'd think he's really in more of the battle as a DI LB that could rush off the edge or in a 34 defence. Will he be able to win a spot ahead of other LB candidates or rookie DE candidates becomes the question.

Since the team will be adding a kicker as a DI the questions about how we use our DI's is a big question. Drafting Bennett also works against Cooper in that role from a ratio point of view.

Not to knock Cooper but he is lining up against rookies which can be deceptive.

Two days where Karamoko is impressing. Yes he's lining up against rookies too but playing DHB is more difficult IMO in rookie camp. Either your in good coverage or every receiver is 5 yards behind you so to speak.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 06:45:26 PM

Cooper was listed as a LB in 2022 IIRC and during the off season.  He has no defensive stats in 2022.   He seems a little light and is the lightest of all our candidates at DE.

Now the " title " is somewhat irrelevant but I'd think he's really in more of the battle as a DI LB that could rush off the edge or in a 34 defence. Will he be able to win a spot ahead of other LB candidates or rookie DE candidates becomes the question.

Since the team will be adding a kicker as a DI the questions about how we use our DI's is a big question. Drafting Bennett also works against Cooper in that role from a ratio point of view.

Not to knock Cooper but he is lining up against rookies which can be deceptive.

Two days where Karamoko is impressing. Yes he's lining up against rookies too but playing DHB is more difficult IMO in rookie camp. Either your in good coverage or every receiver is 5 yards behind you so to speak.
That's true, but we can only compare to what is out there. Hopefully he has imporved during the offseason and works his way into the line-up!

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on May 12, 2023, 06:52:42 PM
That's true, but we can only compare to what is out there. Hopefully he has imporved during the offseason and works his way into the line-up!

I'm not disputing that per se but how do you improve during an off season aside from conditioning. There are 4 rookie import DE's and 3 rookie import LB's. I suspect he moved down against the LB's when you also have Clement behind Wilson as a possible DI.

In all honesty I had doubts during the off season that he'd make the PR. I expected stiff challenges from newbies more willing to sit on the PR. For that matter Clement might be in a fight as a DI at LB against the newbies.

Main TC is going to have some good battles.  Some of the press clippings on the newbies sound impressive. On defence we'll have 11 import starters, 2 global rotational players and most likely 2 DI's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 12, 2023, 06:36:13 PM
I believe both Schmekel and Kornelson still have a year eligibility left so they can still go back to their respective universities.

Always wondered how that worked, if a player has already graduated does he just go back as a part-time student and take a few classes of interest and mostly concentrate on the football program?