Started by Blue In BC, May 05, 2023, 05:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

1. Returner: Grant
2. Kicker: Castillo

That leaves two opening for DI's. At the moment we have:

1. 3 rookie imports + 1 Canadian DE
2. 1 rookie import + several Canadian DT's
3. 1 rookie import LB + 2 returning import's + some Canadians that might fill LB depth spots
4. 4 rookie DB's + some extra returning import vets + 6 or 7 rookie Canadians

So where does that leave us at the moment? Just speculating of course:

1.  Good chance they are expecting an import DE to add as a DI
2.  It would appear there won't be an import DT
3.  I'm thinking we'll see a LB as a DI. However we have Clements, Cooper, Cole and a rookie. In theory Clements has the edge.
4.  Back up DB's will be Canadian.

Variables

1. Maruo has played well as a global ST and he got lots of defensive reps. Does he change the decision on how we use the DI's?
2. Are any of the Canadian DB's good enough to allow us to NOT have a DI DB?
3. Last minute signings could change the options.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

If Bennett shows strongly, then he and Hansen might be the main rotational options at DE. 

I think they will use a DI linebacker, possibly one that can also line up on the edge as a DE if needed.  I think the second DI will be DB.  If Ford were back, I could see him as the 6th DB, but we use that dime in the secondary too often to stick Kramdi or Hallet out there. 
grab grass 'n growl

M.O.A.B.

I would think import DB would be the 3rd DI - Houston or Holm (assuming Parker and Lawrence starts at field HB and CB)

The 4th maybe situational each week depending on what team are we playing against
Import LB - Clements might have the inside track but here's hoping a rookie LB will beat him.
or
Import DL - I'm assuming Hansen will be ease coming from injury. This will be the likely scenario early in the season which is a good opportunity for Taylor and Sterling to steal the spot.

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on May 05, 2023, 06:03:15 PM
I would think import DB would be the 3rd DI - Houston or Holm (assuming Parker and Lawrence starts at field HB and CB)

The 4th maybe situational each week depending on what team are we playing against
Import LB - Clements might have the inside track but here's hoping a rookie LB will beat him.
or
Import DL - I'm assuming Hansen will be ease coming from injury. This will be the likely scenario early in the season which is a good opportunity for Taylor and Sterling to steal the spot.

The import DE's would have to be a DI and create a different ratio situation than a Global playing the same role.

Normally I would expect an import DB as a DI but all the Canadian DB's we drafted make that more of question mark. If Ford returns he'd bump another Canadian DB off the roster but wouldn't necessarily eliminate a D as a DI.

The ratio options seem a bit different this year with the players signed / not signed and how we drafted.

At the least it's going to be interesting. Expecting to revert back to an import kicker may influence choices differently. That does give some Canadians a chance for a bigger role as backups and rotation duty.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: the paw on May 05, 2023, 05:55:46 PM
If Bennett shows strongly, then he and Hansen might be the main rotational options at DE. 

I think they will use a DI linebacker, possibly one that can also line up on the edge as a DE if needed.  I think the second DI will be DB.  If Ford were back, I could see him as the 6th DB, but we use that dime in the secondary too often to stick Kramdi or Hallet out there. 

I imagine that's the role Bennett will be doing except he is not a DI.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on May 05, 2023, 05:55:46 PM

I hope they find a strong DE to rotate with the 2 Jeffs this season, having Hansen back will help, but the 3 they tried last year didn't really work out.  They shipped Wilcots to Hamilton for Lawrence and they didn't even bother to re-sign Keion Adams who they brought in from Sask. late in the year. 

Looking over the Ti-Cats roster they really loaded up on the D-line this off-season, there may be some leftovers that fall off their table, if I was Walters I would pay attention to their late TC cuts.  Assuming none of the Bomber recruits look to be an immediate solution to their rotational deficiency.

TecnoGenius

So we won't use a DI on O?  Didn't we sometimes use McCrae or McKnight as DI, or was they always starters in games they saw action?

I guess you'd use your limited DI's in positions:
1. that often get injured (what are the stats on this?)
2. that require fresh legs/motors (like DL)

If we really only have 2 DIs "left" then that really does make the FAKENAT VETIMP thing pretty moot.  However, for those 2, it could still be slightly advantageous to make sure they are FAKENAT qualified... Don't see how that can happen, though.  A FAKENAT IMP at DT for example could be very useful.

Hey, can GLOBs count as FAKENATs?  Hansen is almost vet enough to qualify.  If they can't, why not?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 06, 2023, 11:01:07 PM
So we won't use a DI on O?  Didn't we sometimes use McCrae or McKnight as DI, or was they always starters in games they saw action?

I guess you'd use your limited DI's in positions:
1. that often get injured (what are the stats on this?)
2. that require fresh legs/motors (like DL)

If we really only have 2 DIs "left" then that really does make the FAKENAT VETIMP thing pretty moot.  However, for those 2, it could still be slightly advantageous to make sure they are FAKENAT qualified... Don't see how that can happen, though.  A FAKENAT IMP at DT for example could be very useful.

Hey, can GLOBs count as FAKENATs?  Hansen is almost vet enough to qualify.  If they can't, why not?

I think the answer to all your questions is essentially no.

Injuries allowed us to use a roster spot for McCrae or McKnight a few times last year. Lost track of who was injured when, but that's the way things happened.  At times we were starting 8 Canadians ( WIL ).

Even with out losing a DI spot to an import kicker, our depth on offence was deeper than on defence. Augustine, O'Leary-Orange and an OL.

I think we're all waiting to see whether we have any practical FAKENAT things we can do. No a global can't qualify and none that we have would qualify ( except Hansen ) even if they were imports. As to why: well the CFL made a bizarre new classification. Don't try and make sense of it all.

Earlier I suggested a player like Avery Ellis would qualify but there there has been no indication that will happen. Any longtime veteran on defence would useful in that role. Bombers have none that aren't already full time starters.

Withe 2023 draft I think we'll have more Canadians that will be available depth. However, I think most will end up on the PR. In 2022 we didn't exactly have many Canadian DL besides Lawson. What we had as imports was not that deep and jettisoned as the season progressed.

Even now we only have 2 import DL rookies as far as I can see. That could change by rookie camp I suppose.

2019 Grey Cup Champions