Blue Bombers sign kicker Sergio Castillo

Started by bigbuff33, May 04, 2023, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

While some want to continue to discuss the past and others want to move on, it's best to allow both groups the opportunity to state their opinion and have a discussion.  Nothing wrong with that.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 16, 2023, 03:51:41 PM
Man am I sick of rehashing the horse crap play. **** move on already!

The Bombers themselves have moved on because they analyzed, broke down, and corrected the play the week after the game.  That lets them move on.

But you need to learn from your mistake so as to not repeat it.  Picture a potential game-winning kick for WPG at GC 2023... picture the opposing D making this same amazing block, and we lose the game in the same manner.  You don't want to see that picture, do you.  I don't.

We (fans) did none of the above because right after the GC it was too raw and no one wanted to even think about it or rewatch it.  It took even me a week to get over the emotions to start spending a lot of time analyzing specific plays.  I didn't get a single interested response when I brought it up.

But now that we are at the cusp of a new season, we are feeling a lot better, and very optimistic; and we fans can start to do what the WFC did in November.  And that's fine.  But I think it's important that we do do it.  So we ourselves can figure out what went wrong, get it out of our systems, hope that WFC learned from their mistake.  Not everyone cares to do this, and that's fine. But some of us do.

I also feel Leggs unfairly gets 100% of the heat for that last play.  Looking at stills and figuring out what happened may help exonerate Leggs, at least partially.

I feel satisfied we've nearly analyzed it in full.  I'd love to hear more takes, if we've missed something important.  I'd kill to see whatever MOS/Boudreau wrote up about the play!  But we never will.  One thing I'm confident of is we'll never see that same mistake from our Bombers again, at least not in a critical game.  And it'll be fun to see how they tweak personnel and scheme to achieve that.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 16, 2023, 02:45:57 PM
All I can say was that I had this empty feeling after that kick....I think I could have processed it better if the kick had a chance and either missed or was good for the W.....a blocked kick right after we make a spectacular block of our own was just gut wrenching.

That is 100% how I felt.  I still feel that way.  The whole season rested on Leggs, and we knew there was a non-negligible chance he'd blow it, but we were all optimistic and praying he'd make it.  Then we were robbed of the chance to find out.  I think seeing Leggs legit miss would have been better, because we'd all be like "ya, the season ending on Leggs missing was on everyone's radar".  And we could accept that.  But if he makes that kick?  We all jump for joy and Leggs is the hero.

We weren't just robbed of the win, we were robbed of the chance to find out.  The biggest anti-climax ever.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

A better way to learn from losing is to not analyze a single broken play, but perhaps analyze the game in its entirety as there was numerous broken plays and missed opportunities that led to the loss. I think this team and its members lean heavily towards the latter.

The Bombers had a 9-point lead going into the fourth quarter.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

You can analyze all you want, but at the end of the day it does change the result. Moved on long ago from the GC. New day, new season.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TBURGESS

Explain to me how a fans analysis of a play helps the team in any way?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TBURGESS on May 17, 2023, 03:31:12 PM
Explain to me how a fans analysis of a play helps the team in any way?

This!

I can't stand it when I have to agree with you. ;D
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 16, 2023, 06:22:37 AM
No problem, glad someone finally wants to analyze with me.  I think I missed my calling: I should be a film room rat.

https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles5.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles6.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles7.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles8.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles9.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/saylesA.jpg * bonus

5. You can see Sayles is having his "oh poop" moment when he realizes that bull ain't gonna be stopped by his forearm.

6. Is the point that Sayles maybe should have grabbed the jersey and held/pulled the leaping/falling DL guy down: a 10 yard penalty at least gets us another Zach pass shot. They almost never call holding on ST anyhow, even when egregious.

8. Sorry the ball gets blurry when in-flight because I don't record in a super high quality mode (too many hours, too few 10's of TBs).  The blur to the right of Yoshi's foot is the ball.

9. Ball hits DL hand.  I put a red dot on what I think is the left stripe.  Luckily we have the 3rd TSN showing of the play to confirm that yes the ball hits DL left hand, slows down, continues up to hit his right hand, then continues on.  If anyone is interested in that clearer (because it's slow-mo) but from the corner view, let me know.  It's a bit of work to make these.

A. The bonus pic shows you the post-deflection ball is on track for 3 points (I put a red dot in the ball center).  It doesn't waiver from that line beside the post.  Also note the post flags.  The left post flag is at about 20 degrees.  There was a decent constant crosswind going left to right and from camera towards the post (we had the wind in the 4th).

So the Leggs-shanked-it-left crowd can have at it (original trajectory is a bit left, but wind), and OL-breakdown crowd (me) can break that apart.

In that vein, to address your points: yes the whole play is weird.  Now I'll have to go back to see if we ever reversed Stan/Yosh on FGs before.  You can't even argue some sort of boundary/field thing because the kick is from dead center!

Cad-man and Miller make sense as the run-down-tackle-any-returner speed guys.  But Sayles in there instead of 6th OL is what drives me nuts.  Wait, what am I saying!  We had only 4 hoggies in because the C was the LS, not Couture!  Holy smokes, so we had 2 or 3 extra hoggies who could be in on this play instead of Sayles!  SMH.

Yoshi I think did precisely the right thing.  Yosh and LG are taking on 3 DTs overloading that side.  LS is just crouching the whole time saying "I'm too small for this stuff!".  Yoshi clearly has his hands full and DTs are getting decent push.  It's a brilliant chess move because Yosh is pinned and has no choice but to ignore the C gap.  Note how the right side OL are doing basically nothing, because all the heat is coming on the left.

It could also be a lack of communication here.  Yosh thinking Sayles has it.  Sayles wondering if he has to help Cad-man and Miller.  And a lack of respect for the rush and thinking "no one FG-blocks in the C gap".

My whole thing is I don't see a "real" OL like Dobson or Couture or whoever else (OL) we dressed not in that play making that mistake.  We're putting a DT in to do a OL job.  Heck, Miller probably would have played that better than Sayles because he's our go-to TE.  That's why I blame Sayles for molasses-reflexes and bad decisions, and Boudreau for the weak scheme on a must-make who-cares-if-we-miss don't-need-any-speed-guys FG.  If that's me, I have every hoggie dressed that night on that field blocking those inside gaps and forcing any rusher to take the long way around like Hallett did.

Thanks for providing the extra frames, I'm even more convinced Leggs did not get enough height on the ball to clear the line, it just as well could have bounced of Yoshi's head than the Argo's hands.  I will leave it at that for now as most are tired of the re-hash and want to look forward to the new season.

Blue In BC

Down to 5 kickers / punters. Honestly expected Schmitz to be released in this round. He seemed to have the biggest hill to climb. Age, ratio and lack of any recent pro experience.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 17, 2023, 06:22:51 AM
The Bombers themselves have moved on because they analyzed, broke down, and corrected the play the week after the game.  That lets them move on.

But you need to learn from your mistake so as to not repeat it.  Picture a potential game-winning kick for WPG at GC 2023... picture the opposing D making this same amazing block, and we lose the game in the same manner.  You don't want to see that picture, do you.  I don't.

We (fans) did none of the above because right after the GC it was too raw and no one wanted to even think about it or rewatch it.  It took even me a week to get over the emotions to start spending a lot of time analyzing specific plays.  I didn't get a single interested response when I brought it up.

But now that we are at the cusp of a new season, we are feeling a lot better, and very optimistic; and we fans can start to do what the WFC did in November.  And that's fine.  But I think it's important that we do do it.  So we ourselves can figure out what went wrong, get it out of our systems, hope that WFC learned from their mistake.  Not everyone cares to do this, and that's fine. But some of us do.

I also feel Leggs unfairly gets 100% of the heat for that last play.  Looking at stills and figuring out what happened may help exonerate Leggs, at least partially.

I feel satisfied we've nearly analyzed it in full.  I'd love to hear more takes, if we've missed something important.  I'd kill to see whatever MOS/Boudreau wrote up about the play!  But we never will.  One thing I'm confident of is we'll never see that same mistake from our Bombers again, at least not in a critical game.  And it'll be fun to see how they tweak personnel and scheme to achieve that.

I felt precisely the same after the game......and I'm more than willing to analyze what went wrong and how we scheme to prevent this mistake in future.    The thing is that we may well have the perfect scheme however it's in the heat of the moment where the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes go awry.    Ie the 13th man in the Riders/Als GC game.....
Despite the fact that we were in position to win it with a FG....the Argos made two huge defensive plays back to back to win it and much credit goes to them for it.    They deserved the W as they consistently outplayed us throughout the game.   
The fact that despite being outplayed for most of the game we were still in a position to win it all is a testament to the old football cliche' "good football teams find ways to win games".....
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 17, 2023, 03:44:41 PM
Down to 5 kickers / punters. Honestly expected Schmitz to be released in this round. He seemed to have the biggest hill to climb. Age, ratio and lack of any recent pro experience.

Staton looks very good. Kid is very consistent.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 17, 2023, 06:35:40 PM
Staton looks very good. Kid is very consistent.

That's the impression I've had based on what I've read but I haven't seen anyone live since I live in BC. The question then becomes is he a better choice than Castillo. We won't roster 2 imports on the AR which creates that question. He's 6 years younger and would be on an ELC. Castillo's contract will be more but how much is unknown.

Either global being added to the AR seems unlikely in any situation. I'd expect Sheahan to be kept on the PR ( at best ). Only 2 PR spots and that 2nd spot is only available due to Hansen injury. The thought being is that it moves Karamoko from the PR to AR as the 3rd best global player. OTOH I have no idea why we keep a global OL on the PR either. Unless he plays T and is better than any other choices we have. Interior positions will be Canadian.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

I'm curious if to the Bombers are paying any attention to USFL Kickers Matt Coghlin of New Orleans and Nick Sciba of New Jersey, stats wise both kickers haven't missed a convert or FG yet this season.
Coghlin is 10/10 in FG's including a long of 51 yards and 15/15 in PAT's and that's from 33 yards.
Sciba is 6/6 in FG's with a long of 50 and 10/10 in PAT's....

I believe USFL players aren't contractually obligated to their teams for more than 1 season at a time and are free to play wherever they want when the USFL season is done. I recall hearing this because of Dakota Prukop and I believe the idea is USFL players are most likely going to "double-dip" but its just a matter of where they "double-dip".
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Waffler

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on May 20, 2023, 04:02:22 PM
the idea is USFL players are most likely going to "double-dip"

For a kicker this would be acceptable but I don't want a regular player, that's close to 30 games or so in a year. What does he have left in the second last week of November?
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on May 20, 2023, 04:02:22 PM
I'm curious if to the Bombers are paying any attention to USFL Kickers Matt Coghlin of New Orleans and Nick Sciba of New Jersey, stats wise both kickers haven't missed a convert or FG yet this season.
Coghlin is 10/10 in FG's including a long of 51 yards and 15/15 in PAT's and that's from 33 yards.
Sciba is 6/6 in FG's with a long of 50 and 10/10 in PAT's....

I believe USFL players aren't contractually obligated to their teams for more than 1 season at a time and are free to play wherever they want when the USFL season is done. I recall hearing this because of Dakota Prukop and I believe the idea is USFL players are most likely going to "double-dip" but its just a matter of where they "double-dip".

The more obvious question is which NFL team is going to sign them.  Kicking in the NFL has been horrible, and the whole reason for the USFL is this progression...  I don't think we will see a USFL kicker in the CFL...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.