Blue Bombers sign kicker Sergio Castillo

Started by bigbuff33, May 04, 2023, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Only Legghio knows how he struck  the ball on that last FG attempt...I did notice him giving Dakota a "look" immediately after the kick....maybe the hold wasn't 100% or maybe he shanked it.    I don't have the benefit of replaying and analyzing exactly what went down on that kick but Legghio, Prukop and likely the coaches know and they aren't really talking about it.   The fact that we constantly lost field position on the KOs and punt exchanges also was apparent and in a close and hard fought game those factors also make a difference.
By signing Castillo the Bombers obviously want to go with a battle tested kicker and the last time he kicked for us, Castillo was picture perfect.  Some have even argued that he was our MOP in that game.   O'shea mentioned in his presser how good a kicker he was and his perfect performance in our last GC win.  Legghio may (or may not) develop into the kicker the Bombers hoped for but they also know that this game is all about playing in the moment and making the most of your opportunities,  something that Legghio did NOT accomplish in the most important game of the season last year!
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

It was a bad kick. I don't think anyone who matters really has a lot of confidence in him. Want proof? Castillo was signed an hour after he was released by Edmonton and we have 45,000 kickers in camp.

Tee42

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 14, 2023, 11:38:14 PM
It was a bad kick. I don't think anyone who matters really has a lot of confidence in him. Want proof? Castillo was signed an hour after he was released by Edmonton and we have 45,000 kickers in camp.
Leggs loves competition. Sergio  is a great guy and everybody loves him. Leggs loves him as well. Even if leggs does better then Serge at the kicking  game in camp, they are going to give it to Sergio. Leggs is a great back up. It is going to be fun. Looking forward to a great 2023. All the other speculation is comical.  That final kick?. too many things went wrong and number one is everybody?s speculation. If you understand the kicking game, you know what went wrong. The kick was kicked in the direction it should have went, the wind was blowing left to right, kick to the left ?wind takes it to the right, and it goes through, the hold was off, the line did not contain. The whole execution of the team for that game failed. The temperature was freezing, the ball does not travel the same in the cold. Many players apologized to leggs for the outcome, he took the blame for the loss. That?s the easiest target. 
It was not Liegghio?s fault, move on, the team did not play well enough to win, the better team won. 
Sergio kicks off and does field goals ? Leggs punts. New holder this year, hope he is better then Prukop and Benson is accurate.  Another lesson and experience for Leggs. Sergio is signed for one year, Leggs should be doing all three, he is Canadian and very  valuable.
Let 2023 begin, let?s go to the show and win another one for Winnipeg and give the young man a break. Amen.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 14, 2023, 02:38:16 PM
there are various opinions on whether or not Legghio had enough elevation on that attempt as well....may have been a factor as well regardless of the A-gap protection?    We also blocked a FG attempt just prior to ours and when was the last time we saw two blocked FG attempts in the span of minutes?    I'm not sure we had a timeout left however it looked like we were scrambling on the sidelines in the last second excitement of possibly winning it all with that one kick.

The prior block by Hallett was just an unblocked speed rush completely off the edge.  Something very hard to accomplish in the CFL, especially without hitting the kicker.

The TOR block on us was, and I'm sorry for getting this wrong before, a C-gap compromise.  We had 5 hoggies in, but instead of the 6th being Dobson, we had in Sayles.  TOR does a creative alignment and a great scheme gambling on a WPG mistake.  They got one.

Here's some stills of the sequence so all can see for posterity what ruined our final shot.

https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles1.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles2.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles3.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles4.jpg

Pic 1, notice how Yoshi (wrong side for him??) is already up yet Sayles (3rd to the left from C) has yet to move an inch.  Pic 2, Yoshi and LG take the 3 overloaded DL, Sayles is not taking that big DL guy seriously, setting up an arm block.  Pic 4, arm block fails.  Yosh and LG are having a hard time stopping the bull rush too.

Thinking more about it, I think this kind of A/B/C gap breakdown on a FG is very rare.  You usually have the scenario of doing the "step up a yard and jump" type of block, or the off-the-edge speed rush block.  I can't really think of the last A/B/C-gap breakdown block like this.  The rule is always you protect from the inside out.

Anyhow, my big point is we had 1 or 2 more dressed NAT hoggies so what are Sayles and WPG #6 doing in there when there is no reason to worry about a miss-return because no matter what a miss means a loss?

You added it looked like we were scrambling to field our package.  I can't vouch for that, so I'll take your word.  If true then it's even more shameful because how can you not have your final-drive game-winning FG scheme all laid out and drilled and ready for when the time comes?  That doesn't sound like a MOS team, and that also should fall on the ST coordinator.

Sorry for being so long-winded, and certainly this play isn't "what lost us the game", and I could blame 80% of the team for not executing that night... but it's my big bugbear because we should have and could have executed it right and at least have  had a chance to win the game on a proper kick attempt; and there are certain players/coords that made some questionable decisions.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Tee42 on May 15, 2023, 02:11:12 AM
If you understand the kicking game, you know what went wrong. The kick was kicked in the direction it should have went, the wind was blowing left to right, kick to the left ?wind takes it to the right, and it goes through, the hold was off, the line did not contain.

I can confirm from my screen grab work just now.  Flags were modestly elevated to the right.  The wind was making those FGs and PATs go wonky all night.  Even some that made it in were squeakers.  And as someone who was sitting in the upper deck, I can tell you that wind was brutal.

That could be why Leggs was doing more of a line drive than a high-elevation one.  I wouldn't want that ball reaching the high levels either as then the wind can really take it for a ride.  And it wasn't a short FG attempt either.  AND we all know we wanted it to pierce the back of the EZ if it missed so that we could tie on the rouge (learned that in our sole "real" loss of the season).
Never go full Rider!

DM83

One play does not  make a game. 

One  kick could have.

score a TD and we win.

it's just the way it went.

Team game.  But Leg's career is questionable.  He missed so many kicks.

blue_gold_84

His career isn't questionable. At all.

He's a solid placement punter. He hit 82.1% of his FGAs last season. He missed once in the playoffs. His conversions, OTOH, need work.

All that said, competition at a crucial position is good for everyone involved. If that helps him improve his game, so be it. And in the meantime, the team can rely on a veteran.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 15, 2023, 05:05:40 AM
The prior block by Hallett was just an unblocked speed rush completely off the edge.  Something very hard to accomplish in the CFL, especially without hitting the kicker.

The TOR block on us was, and I'm sorry for getting this wrong before, a C-gap compromise.  We had 5 hoggies in, but instead of the 6th being Dobson, we had in Sayles.  TOR does a creative alignment and a great scheme gambling on a WPG mistake.  They got one.

Here's some stills of the sequence so all can see for posterity what ruined our final shot.

https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles1.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles2.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles3.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles4.jpg

Pic 1, notice how Yoshi (wrong side for him??) is already up yet Sayles (3rd to the left from C) has yet to move an inch.  Pic 2, Yoshi and LG take the 3 overloaded DL, Sayles is not taking that big DL guy seriously, setting up an arm block.  Pic 4, arm block fails.  Yosh and LG are having a hard time stopping the bull rush too.

Thinking more about it, I think this kind of A/B/C gap breakdown on a FG is very rare.  You usually have the scenario of doing the "step up a yard and jump" type of block, or the off-the-edge speed rush block.  I can't really think of the last A/B/C-gap breakdown block like this.  The rule is always you protect from the inside out.

Anyhow, my big point is we had 1 or 2 more dressed NAT hoggies so what are Sayles and WPG #6 doing in there when there is no reason to worry about a miss-return because no matter what a miss means a loss?

You added it looked like we were scrambling to field our package.  I can't vouch for that, so I'll take your word.  If true then it's even more shameful because how can you not have your final-drive game-winning FG scheme all laid out and drilled and ready for when the time comes?  That doesn't sound like a MOS team, and that also should fall on the ST coordinator.

Sorry for being so long-winded, and certainly this play isn't "what lost us the game", and I could blame 80% of the team for not executing that night... but it's my big bugbear because we should have and could have executed it right and at least have  had a chance to win the game on a proper kick attempt; and there are certain players/coords that made some questionable decisions.

Thanks for the freeze frames, they show a lot, do you have a couple of additional frames past this point?  Too weird, they have Stanley playing on the right side and Yoshi on the left, with Cadwallader and Mike Miller to the left of Sayles.  If Stanley was in his normal position he might have caught the breakdown, Yoshi looks like he overcommitted to his right, widening the gap between Sayles.  Oh well, plenty of blame to be shared.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on May 15, 2023, 03:06:42 PM
One play does not  make a game. 

One  kick could have.

score a TD and we win.

it's just the way it went.

Team game.  But Leg's career is questionable.  He missed so many kicks.
Overstated on the negative and not factual.  Leggs career is not questionable.  Agree about comments about it being a team game.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 15, 2023, 05:08:16 PM
His career isn't questionable. At all.

He's a solid placement punter. He hit 82.1% of his FGAs last season. He missed once in the playoffs. His conversions, OTOH, need work.

All that said, competition at a crucial position is good for everyone involved. If that helps him improve his game, so be it. And in the meantime, the team can rely on a veteran.
Facts are presented above, agree all.  Leggs is developing and we have lots of options here.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 05:30:46 PM
Thanks for the freeze frames, they show a lot, do you have a couple of additional frames past this pointToo weird, they have Stanley playing on the right side and Yoshi on the left, with Cadwallader and Mike Miller to the left of Sayles.  If Stanley was in his normal position he might have caught the breakdown, Yoshi looks like he overcommitted to his right, widening the gap between Sayles.  Oh well, plenty of blame to be shared.

No problem, glad someone finally wants to analyze with me.  I think I missed my calling: I should be a film room rat.

https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles5.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles6.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles7.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles8.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles9.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/saylesA.jpg * bonus

5. You can see Sayles is having his "oh poop" moment when he realizes that bull ain't gonna be stopped by his forearm.

6. Is the point that Sayles maybe should have grabbed the jersey and held/pulled the leaping/falling DL guy down: a 10 yard penalty at least gets us another Zach pass shot. They almost never call holding on ST anyhow, even when egregious.

8. Sorry the ball gets blurry when in-flight because I don't record in a super high quality mode (too many hours, too few 10's of TBs).  The blur to the right of Yoshi's foot is the ball.

9. Ball hits DL hand.  I put a red dot on what I think is the left stripe.  Luckily we have the 3rd TSN showing of the play to confirm that yes the ball hits DL left hand, slows down, continues up to hit his right hand, then continues on.  If anyone is interested in that clearer (because it's slow-mo) but from the corner view, let me know.  It's a bit of work to make these.

A. The bonus pic shows you the post-deflection ball is on track for 3 points (I put a red dot in the ball center).  It doesn't waiver from that line beside the post.  Also note the post flags.  The left post flag is at about 20 degrees.  There was a decent constant crosswind going left to right and from camera towards the post (we had the wind in the 4th).

So the Leggs-shanked-it-left crowd can have at it (original trajectory is a bit left, but wind), and OL-breakdown crowd (me) can break that apart.

In that vein, to address your points: yes the whole play is weird.  Now I'll have to go back to see if we ever reversed Stan/Yosh on FGs before.  You can't even argue some sort of boundary/field thing because the kick is from dead center!

Cad-man and Miller make sense as the run-down-tackle-any-returner speed guys.  But Sayles in there instead of 6th OL is what drives me nuts.  Wait, what am I saying!  We had only 4 hoggies in because the C was the LS, not Couture!  Holy smokes, so we had 2 or 3 extra hoggies who could be in on this play instead of Sayles!  SMH.

Yoshi I think did precisely the right thing.  Yosh and LG are taking on 3 DTs overloading that side.  LS is just crouching the whole time saying "I'm too small for this stuff!".  Yoshi clearly has his hands full and DTs are getting decent push.  It's a brilliant chess move because Yosh is pinned and has no choice but to ignore the C gap.  Note how the right side OL are doing basically nothing, because all the heat is coming on the left.

It could also be a lack of communication here.  Yosh thinking Sayles has it.  Sayles wondering if he has to help Cad-man and Miller.  And a lack of respect for the rush and thinking "no one FG-blocks in the C gap".

My whole thing is I don't see a "real" OL like Dobson or Couture or whoever else (OL) we dressed not in that play making that mistake.  We're putting a DT in to do a OL job.  Heck, Miller probably would have played that better than Sayles because he's our go-to TE.  That's why I blame Sayles for molasses-reflexes and bad decisions, and Boudreau for the weak scheme on a must-make who-cares-if-we-miss don't-need-any-speed-guys FG.  If that's me, I have every hoggie dressed that night on that field blocking those inside gaps and forcing any rusher to take the long way around like Hallett did.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 16, 2023, 06:22:37 AM
No problem, glad someone finally wants to analyze with me.  I think I missed my calling: I should be a film room rat.

https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles5.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles6.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles7.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles8.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/sayles9.jpg
https://fsi.ca/tec/saylesA.jpg * bonus

5. You can see Sayles is having his "oh poop" moment when he realizes that bull ain't gonna be stopped by his forearm.

6. Is the point that Sayles maybe should have grabbed the jersey and held/pulled the leaping/falling DL guy down: a 10 yard penalty at least gets us another Zach pass shot. They almost never call holding on ST anyhow, even when egregious.

8. Sorry the ball gets blurry when in-flight because I don't record in a super high quality mode (too many hours, too few 10's of TBs).  The blur to the right of Yoshi's foot is the ball.

9. Ball hits DL hand.  I put a red dot on what I think is the left stripe.  Luckily we have the 3rd TSN showing of the play to confirm that yes the ball hits DL left hand, slows down, continues up to hit his right hand, then continues on.  If anyone is interested in that clearer (because it's slow-mo) but from the corner view, let me know.  It's a bit of work to make these.

A. The bonus pic shows you the post-deflection ball is on track for 3 points (I put a red dot in the ball center).  It doesn't waiver from that line beside the post.  Also note the post flags.  The left post flag is at about 20 degrees.  There was a decent constant crosswind going left to right and from camera towards the post (we had the wind in the 4th).

So the Leggs-shanked-it-left crowd can have at it (original trajectory is a bit left, but wind), and OL-breakdown crowd (me) can break that apart.

In that vein, to address your points: yes the whole play is weird.  Now I'll have to go back to see if we ever reversed Stan/Yosh on FGs before.  You can't even argue some sort of boundary/field thing because the kick is from dead center!

Cad-man and Miller make sense as the run-down-tackle-any-returner speed guys.  But Sayles in there instead of 6th OL is what drives me nuts.  Wait, what am I saying!  We had only 4 hoggies in because the C was the LS, not Couture!  Holy smokes, so we had 2 or 3 extra hoggies who could be in on this play instead of Sayles!  SMH.

Yoshi I think did precisely the right thing.  Yosh and LG are taking on 3 DTs overloading that side.  LS is just crouching the whole time saying "I'm too small for this stuff!".  Yoshi clearly has his hands full and DTs are getting decent push.  It's a brilliant chess move because Yosh is pinned and has no choice but to ignore the C gap.  Note how the right side OL are doing basically nothing, because all the heat is coming on the left.

It could also be a lack of communication here.  Yosh thinking Sayles has it.  Sayles wondering if he has to help Cad-man and Miller.  And a lack of respect for the rush and thinking "no one FG-blocks in the C gap".

My whole thing is I don't see a "real" OL like Dobson or Couture or whoever else (OL) we dressed not in that play making that mistake.  We're putting a DT in to do a OL job.  Heck, Miller probably would have played that better than Sayles because he's our go-to TE.  That's why I blame Sayles for molasses-reflexes and bad decisions, and Boudreau for the weak scheme on a must-make who-cares-if-we-miss don't-need-any-speed-guys FG.  If that's me, I have every hoggie dressed that night on that field blocking those inside gaps and forcing any rusher to take the long way around like Hallett did.

You didn't "miss your calling" if you don't know what you're looking at. The giant hole in your theory is that field goals are made all the time with a comparable amount of backfield pressure. Sayles probably could have played it better, but the line surrendered 2 yards at the time the ball was already in the air. That happens frequently. The kick was hit poorly and it got blocked. It happens.

Tee42

Then you can analyze the snap and hold.   :)

Lincoln Locomotive

All I can say was that I had this empty feeling after that kick....I think I could have processed it better if the kick had a chance and either missed or was good for the W.....a blocked kick right after we make a spectacular block of our own was just gut wrenching.....similar feeling on that 2nd down pass attempt from Collaros to Demski that was knocked down.    I wanted a running play and even if we don't make the 1st down we maybe get a few yards closer and the clock keeps going for the last play walk off FG attempt. 

Kudos to the Argo D for making two huge plays to win it and two uncharacteristic botched play attempts by us with the game on the line.
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

Man am I sick of rehashing the horse crap play. **** move on already!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Waffler

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 16, 2023, 03:51:41 PM
Man am I sick of rehashing the horse crap play.**** move on already!
Agree. It's 2023 and we got a shot this year.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers