Blue Bombers sign kicker Sergio Castillo

Started by bigbuff33, May 04, 2023, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers sign kicker Sergio Castillo

WINNIPEG, MB., May 4, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of veteran kicker Sergio Castillo to a one-year contract.

Castillo (5-11, 196, West Texas A&M; born: November 1, 1990, in La Joya, TX) returns to the Blue Bombers for a third stint after beginning his CFL career in Winnipeg in 2015 and then returning late in 2021 at the trade deadline before playing an instrumental role in the club's second of back-to-back Grey Cup Championships.

Castillo has appeared in 59 CFL games over six seasons with the Blue Bombers (2015), Ottawa RedBlacks (2016), Hamilton Tiger-Cats (2017), B.C. Lions (2019), Blue Bombers (2021) and Elks (2022). He was also in training camp with the Tennessee Titans in 2021 after playing in seven games with the New York Jets in 2020.

Castillo holds a career field goal percentage of 85.5 in the CFL, having made 124 of his 145 attempts, and has a career convert percentage of 90.4. Castillo went 37-of-44 (84.1 percent) in field goal attempts with the Elks last year while connecting on 26-of-29 (89.7) of his convert attempts.

He was named CFL All-Star in 2019 with the Lions after connecting on 41-of-45 field goal attempts (91.1 percent), including five field goals covering 50 yards or longer.

Castillo was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Atlanta Falcons in 2014, but made his professional debut with the Bombers in October of 2015, making all five of his field goal attempts. He finished that year going 10-of-13 for the club before Justin Medlock was signed in free agency in 2016.

In 2017 he suffered a season-ending knee injury while with Hamilton and did not kick again in a game in 2018. He has also had stints with the San Antonio Commanders of the Alliance of American Football and the Houston Roughnecks of the XFL.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

M.O.A.B.

Jets

bluebeard

We'll represent the west in the GC now... great signing!

squonk

The Zipp

Never should have left!!

Welcome home Sergio!

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

That was surprisingly fast. Good addition. Doesn't bode well for some of the rookies brought in earlier.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Crazy Good!

Leggio stays on as Punter?

All these kickers brought in seem fodder I guess.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 04, 2023, 10:38:55 PM
Crazy Good!

Leggio stays on as Punter?

All these kickers brought in seem fodder I guess.

Quite possible that's the plan.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I'm really not sure about this... after he left, it didn't feel like there was a lot of love for the team/fans.  Not sure how true that was, just saying its the way I felt...

I guess if we have excess depth in NATs and have more than 7 starting, I guess we can use a Di spot for a K.  And a GLB or NAT spot for a P...

Now, is it a competition going into camp?

If Leggs gets cut and goes on to a Paredes like career and we get 1 year out of Sergio...

I'm going to reserve judgement for now...

As to "coming home", he played 4 reg season games here in in 2015, and 3 in 2021... 7 of his 59 CFL reg season games...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

It has not sunk in yet. This is truly an amazing signing! Walters nails it yet again. Hopefully he still brings the accurate hammer!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

He's only actually played 7 games for the Bombers. 4 in 2015 and 3 in 2021. Played for lots of teams in between. Veteran player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions