Blue Bombers sign kicker Sergio Castillo

Started by bigbuff33, May 04, 2023, 09:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 12, 2023, 05:20:37 PM
Quite the absurd comment.

Maybe he thinks we should have replaced him with Mourtada on a 3 year deal for $150K per season. lol
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

It's nice for a charity organization to seek out others to help them carry on their journey.
Where is the  Global placekicker BC brought in?  He should have now had a few years to improve.

What happened  to Wendy's Kick to win? :)

Cool Spot

Quote from: GCn19 on May 10, 2023, 07:06:33 PM
I care about performance in the clutch. That's what separates good FG kickers from bad ones.

I don't entirely agree with this sentiment even though there is a lot of truth to it. I'll go further and say that it's true that football is a team game, but "the Bombers could have done 'x' on offense or 'y' on defense, so why blame the kicker?" statement is inadequate.

I think a key difference is that on offense, the opposing team is on defense and pushing hard against you. When you're on defense, the opposing team is on offense and pushing hard against you. But, on special teams, particularly field-goal kicking, it's far more about the kicker executing when he has to execute. Whereas a QB is on every offensive play (other than FGs), and your defense is on every defensive play (other than special teams), a FG kicker is only on the field for a handful of plays per game. They are not struggling to overcome the other team, they have to go out there and execute (within a short time period, of course, otherwise the opposing team can break through and break up the play). Because of this, I think it's fair to hold kickers to a high standard that does not apply to the rest of the team - it's because their scope is much narrower and more pivotal given the number of plays they are on the field for.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on May 12, 2023, 05:10:17 PM
Should have sacked Legghio long time ago... or get ourselves a real special teams coordinator that can help him.
Your credibility takes a hit when you go out guns a blazing like this.  Leggs is good, might be great one day.  Coordinator isn't the issue here. 

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 05:23:39 PM
Maybe he thinks we should have replaced him with Mourtada on a 3 year deal for $150K per season. lol
How much guaranteed?? Lol

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on May 12, 2023, 11:15:09 PM
Your credibility takes a hit when you go out guns a blazing like this.  Leggs is good, might be great one day.  Coordinator isn't the issue here. 
How much guaranteed?? Lol

$0.025 guaranteed each year paid in pennies. :)

Of course there was always Crapigna. Unfortunately his name suggests how he performed too.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

I daresay when we had Medlock that our offence was geared to use him as one of our primary offensive weapons.    He was that good and reliable...not infallible but consistently reliable.   Our offence now with our receiving core and Zach has to be one of the most dangerous in Bomber history.   Adding a kicker like Castillo to our roster may be the missing long we need to win that elusive Grey Cup.    He's a gamer under pressure!   
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on May 12, 2023, 07:51:38 PM
What happened  to Wendy's Kick to win? :)

Ya, that hasn't been a thing for a few years.  That was always fun, always worth many laughs.  And cheap for Wendy's because basically no one could kick it in even from 20.  :D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on May 12, 2023, 05:10:17 PM
Should have sacked Legghio long time ago... or get ourselves a real special teams coordinator that can help him.

That's the first time someone other than me has mentioned the role of the coordinator.  I'll never forgive Boudreaux for having Sayles in on that GC FG formation in essentially A-gap protect (or B depending how you look at it) position.  That should have been one of 4 (5?) dressed NAT hoggies blocking that hungry/angry rusher, not slow, sleeping turnstile Sayles.  I want to see hoggies in on critical must-make kicks.  There's no chance/need of running down the field for a tackle.  A miss = loss.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 14, 2023, 03:04:53 AM
That's the first time someone other than me has mentioned the role of the coordinator.  I'll never forgive Boudreaux for having Sayles in on that GC FG formation in essentially A-gap protect (or B depending how you look at it) position.  That should have been one of 4 (5?) dressed NAT hoggies blocking that hungry/angry rusher, not slow, sleeping turnstile Sayles.  I want to see hoggies in on critical must-make kicks.  There's no chance/need of running down the field for a tackle.  A miss = loss.

there are various opinions on whether or not Legghio had enough elevation on that attempt as well....may have been a factor as well regardless of the A-gap protection?    We also blocked a FG attempt just prior to ours and when was the last time we saw two blocked FG attempts in the span of minutes?    I'm not sure we had a timeout left however it looked like we were scrambling on the sidelines in the last second excitement of possibly winning it all with that one kick.    There was a lot going on in those last frantic minutes.
Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on May 14, 2023, 02:38:16 PM
there are various opinions on whether or not Legghio had enough elevation on that attempt as well....may have been a factor as well regardless of the A-gap protection?    We also blocked a FG attempt just prior to ours and when was the last time we saw two blocked FG attempts in the span of minutes?    I'm not sure we had a timeout left however it looked like we were scrambling on the sidelines in the last second excitement of possibly winning it all with that one kick.    There was a lot going on in those last frantic minutes.

Our last FG attempt looked like it was wide and short even if not blocked. We'll never know with certainty though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Blue on BC  I have never seen you make a waffling comment! Lol!

I respectfully degree with any post that says Leggio?s kick was Not going wide 
before being blocked.

Hence my rational for suggesting Legs really choked. Coupled with numerous previous misses he is not a pro caliber kicker

Waffler

Quote from: DM83 on May 14, 2023, 05:44:24 PM

before being blocked.

Hence my rational for suggesting Legs really choked. Coupled with numerous previous misses he is not a pro caliber kicker

He has a pro caliber leg but his confidence may be shot. I'd keep him on the PR if we can.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

before being blocked.

???? I said it looked like it WAS going wide.   Whether there was a timing issue with the snap, a hold that was off or just the kicker not hitting the ball correctly, I'll leave up to the coaches to assess.

Note: Not every kick travels a straight line. Wind and the spin on a ball may move the ball from left to right or vice versa.

If you are considering that as me waffling, ok.  I don't see it that way. I don't remember the wind condition or direction but assessing what might have happened is never 100%. I felt it was a going to miss.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

I can only image the pressure on any kicker at any time but certainly when the game is on the line.  Everything in that process must work perfectly - blocking, the snap, the timing, the kick, not to mention wind conditions and distance, all have to be pretty much to perfection.  Not easy but it is what the kickers are paid to do.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

before being blocked.

Over stated on the negative, he has a couple season under his belt thus he is a pro level kicker and a good one that if we are patient could be great.

He needs to work in some stuff and we will see how it turns out.