Blue Bombers add three to roster - May 3, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, May 03, 2023, 03:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 04, 2023, 06:22:21 PM
He's a professional kicker. The techniques to choose from aren't mysteries to be decoded. He's obviously experimented but the strength of kicking comes from doing the exact same thing over and over again. He's basically got a choice of a two or three step approach (if it's three, he does what they usually call a jab step) followed by a long stride and then a plant step and follow through. It ain't rocket science, the hard part is doing it optimally every time.

If it was only that easy. Assessing impact of wind or weather conditions. The mental aspect as well as the physical preparation are all variables. As shown the holder and even the LS is a team effort.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: Stats Junkie on May 04, 2023, 07:56:36 PM

1.   A holder can make a difference.

Great post Stats Junkie!  For sure the 3 need to be a well oiled machine. I feel the kicker should choose his own holder. Someone he just feels comfortable with.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Pete

Quote from: Waffler on May 04, 2023, 10:57:26 PM
Great post Stats Junkie!  For sure the 3 need to be a well oiled machine. I feel the kicker should choose his own holder. Someone he just feels comfortable with.
There is a benifet to having a holder that is mobile and can throw such as Prukop ly. As long as he has the hands and can handle the pressure I would think that its just a matter of practice and consistency.

DM83

That is what concerns me.

This a fundamental skill...like a golf swing.

If the kicker is still struggling at his age and experience...I don't think he will cure it.  I would love to hear  he went  down south to some kicking camps, and no doubt could have learned some physical corrections and perhaps a couple of mental points.

Now, could he get better, while getting paid for it???? NO!
I wonder how many guys on the team loved this guy when he hooked the Grey Cup game winning attempt.?? ( that cost some people significant coin.)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Stats Junkie on May 04, 2023, 07:56:36 PM
Marc Liegghio has had 3 different holders so far with the Blue Bombers
87.5% Joe Mancuso
78.3% Dakota Prukop
62.5% Sean McGuire

Justin Medlock had 7 different holders
92.3% Bryan Bennett
90.9% Chris Streveler
87.2% Weston Dressler
84.6% Matt Nichols
80.0% Matt Coates
70.0% Sean McGuire
* Alex Ross (botched hold on only FG attempt & injured on fire drill)

Sergio Castillo
80.0% Marc Liegghio
76.9% Brian Brohm
75.0% Sean McGuire

Lirim Hajrullhau
80.9% Biran Brohm
70.0% Kyle Jones

Justin Palardy
85.0% Mike Renaud
70.0% Jamie Boreham
55.6% Jovon Johnson

Alexis Serna
86.4% Stefan LeFors
72.2% Aaron Hargreaves
69.6% Mike Renaud
66.7% Jamie Stoddard

1.   A holder can make a difference.
2.   Everybody did bad with Sean McGuire as the holder

* Kickers were a combined 61.9% with McGuire as the holder. Only Corey Jenkins (60.0%) and Jovon Johnson (55.6%) were worse (since 1980).

There was an interview that Justin Medlock did while he was with the Tiger-Cats (ca. 2015). He talked about the challenges he faced as a left footed kicker. Every time he attended an NFL camp, he was matched up with a random holder (usually a training camp QB) while other kickers, including rookies, got matched up with the incumbent holder. The couple of times that Medlock did make an NFL roster, he was forced to break in a new holder in the regular season because the training camp holder had been released.

Perhaps the key to Medlock's early success in the CFL was that he was matched up with Kevin Eiben in 2009 with Toronto. Eiben was one year removed from holding for another left footed kicker, Noel Prefontaine.

I can't even recall Joe Mancuso, never heard of him.  :D

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on May 03, 2023, 06:34:42 PM
I'm not sure why Iam responding to this trolling post, but...  what?

The are bringing in OT's to camp, should Hardrick and Bryant not bother showing up?

How many DB's are coming in?  I guess Rose, Houston and Darby might as well stay home...

Sigh...

Competition in camp is necessary, both for personnel to run drill, and to look at guys for the speed dial in case of injury...

But year, Leggs should be worried.  Its his job to lose.

Comparisons that makes more sense would be like, when the Bombers signed Bryant, should our previous LT have come to camp?

When we signed Bighill, should our previous MLB have come to camp?

I mean, it's their job, they obviously do and try to carve out a role. But they're obviously not going to be starting.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 04, 2023, 08:19:09 PM
If it was only that easy. Assessing impact of wind or weather conditions. The mental aspect as well as the physical preparation are all variables. As shown the holder and even the LS is a team effort.

Money Medlock was very particular as far as holders went.....the results were obviously impressive
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Quote from: DM83 on May 05, 2023, 07:35:55 PM
That is what concerns me.

This a fundamental skill...like a golf swing.

If the kicker is still struggling at his age and experience...I don't think he will cure it.  I would love to hear  he went  down south to some kicking camps, and no doubt could have learned some physical corrections and perhaps a couple of mental points.

Now, could he get better, while getting paid for it???? NO!
I wonder how many guys on the team loved this guy when he hooked the Grey Cup game winning attempt.?? ( that cost some people significant coin.)

You don't think Tiger Woods ever changed his swing?  THey literally have swing coaches... and have you seen the number of putters these guys switch between? 

Yikes...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.