2023 Drafted Players Discussion - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, April 30, 2023, 02:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

They picked Bennet because:

(a) we haven't had a Cdn DE since Kongo, and we need one in the rotation.
(b) he is pro-ready.  As an older player with more experience, he is ready to roster now.  
(c) he has the good attitude.  We passed on Bemiy (like all the other teams) likely because he was indicating a reluctance to play inside, do teams etc.  

grab grass 'n growl

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on May 03, 2023, 04:56:02 PM
Seems  the Bombers did OK.

Bennett seems like a very weird pick, though.
He must be abnormally fast.  That would pose  different problems for opponents blocking schemes.  I can't believe he will get any pressure on the QB, will he?
I thought we liked  tall DE. Does this mean the Bombers were not happy with Jeffcoat's continual injury status.???

Or Does this mean we could be preparing to go to a three man line with a rush end ?  We did mix things up quite a bit last yr?
I thought our main need was at Def Tackle.  I thought we would draft a guy to plug the "a" gap, I love Jake, but he ain't getting any younger. The kid from Sask might be the potential, but he might be too big.

Maybe that is the role of Kornelson?

The  entire draft does sound like they have a chance to make an impression.  But lots of PR time, I would think.

If it was up to me, I'd like to see Lawson continue to get those reps. Having Adamson as the 7th OL/4th DT would be pretty handy also for depth.
I can't see Kornelson cracking a roster spot IMO

Sir Blue and Gold

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers selected defensive lineman Anthony Bennett with the eighth overall pick in the 2023 CFL Draft and general manager Kyle Walters wasted no time comparing him to one of the team?s most popular players.

?He reminds me of Willie (Jefferson), the energy that he brings, positive, excitable. He?s just a great young man. It was awesome talking to him in the interview process. He?s a great young man and a high-energy guy in the way that he plays and his personality,? said Walters. ?He?s going to bring energy. Him and Willie, those are two big personalities.?

Bennett brings a similar energy, which was on full display during his one-on-one interview with 3DownNation at the CFL Combine. He radiates positivity, cracks jokes, and speaks with a level of confidence that?s rare for players coming through the draft process. It seems safe to presume that he?s the type of player to whom others will gravitate at the professional level.

Despite their similarities off the field, Bennett and Jefferson play the game in entirely different ways. Bennett is six-foot-one and 229 pounds, which means he will need to rely on speed and quickness to rush the passer at the professional level.

Walters called Bennett a ?polished pass-rusher? who can beat opposing blockers with ?energy? and ?aggression.? Though it?s hard to imagine him beating out Jefferson or Jackson Jeffcoat for a starting job, he should still see plenty of reps as he plays on the team?s oft-rotating defensive front.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/03/bombers-gm-kyle-walters-anthony-bennett-brings-same-positive-energy-as-willie-jefferson/

Sir Blue and Gold

In addition: Walters appears to admit that we drafted more from a needs perspective this year.

When it comes to the draft, teams often talk about taking the best player available regardless of position. It was refreshing to hear Walters admit the opposite was true for Winnipeg this year as they specifically targeted areas they identified as needs.

?The plan going in was we wanted some defensive line help, we wanted a free safety, and a receiver,? he said. ?We thought the best plan of attack to get them was in that order based on the way we thought the draft and the depth might fall.?

Sources indicated ahead of the draft that a good CFL comparable for Schmekel is Jake Thomas, who has spent more than a decade playing along Winnipeg?s defensive line. Though Walters agreed Schmekel is similar to Thomas when he was coming out of U Sports back in 2012, he indicated Schmekel has to work on his pass-rushing ability to reach the level at which Thomas plays as a veteran.

?The development of pass rush game, that?s a big one for young interior guys that at the U Sports level generally just get off the ball and win with power and have some success. That?s not going to work up here, you?re not just going to run over guards like they both did down there,? said Walters.

Noah Hallett might be questionable this year.

Sources indicated ahead of the draft that a good CFL comparable for Schmekel is Jake Thomas, who has spent more than a decade playing along Winnipeg?s defensive line. Though Walters agreed Schmekel is similar to Thomas when he was coming out of U Sports back in 2012, he indicated Schmekel has to work on his pass-rushing ability to reach the level at which Thomas plays as a veteran.

?The development of pass rush game, that?s a big one for young interior guys that at the U Sports level generally just get off the ball and win with power and have some success. That?s not going to work up here, you?re not just going to run over guards like they both did down there,? said Walters.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/03/bombers-gm-kyle-walters-anthony-bennett-brings-same-positive-energy-as-willie-jefferson/

Blue In BC

As I suspected Noah Hallett will miss part of 2023 or all of which opens a spot for one of the DB's drafted.

The link about Bennett mentions that we signed Robbie Smith, injured all of 2022. I think they really meant Robbie Lowes. Walters was impressed with Bennett and that sounds as though he quite polished for a 1st year player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 03, 2023, 05:15:28 PM
In addition: Walters appears to admit that we drafted more from a needs perspective this year.

One more kick at the cat before a rebuild. It's not a bad approach considering what we have. Also the more I read about Bennett the more I feel good about the pick, it seems he'll fit in here with the culture.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

DM83

Yes but he isn't very tall.

But if he is a runt (weight-wise) and is super quick, he can be totally disruptive. Rotating him in would provide a totally different challenge, from Jeffcoat.
Not sure his college stats relate to the pro game.  Hard to compare regarding what was his competition like.

Is Kyle realizing smaller fast guys  to rush the passer is a kind of modern niche.  Especially if the opposition has huge big not so mobile Tackles.
And of course he can probably excel on special teams.

Hallet being out explains why they went after a DB.  This could be a great future move once Alexander can't function.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on May 03, 2023, 06:39:07 PM
Yes but he isn't very tall.

But if he is a runt (weight-wise) and is super quick, he can be totally disruptive. Rotating him in would provide a totally different challenge, from Jeffcoat.
Not sure his college stats relate to the pro game.  Hard to compare regarding what was his competition like.

Is Kyle realizing smaller fast guys  to rush the passer is a kind of modern niche.  Especially if the opposition has huge big not so mobile Tackles.
And of course he can probably excel on special teams.

Hallet being out explains why they went after a DB.  This could be a great future move once Alexander can't function.

I wanted them to go after Kwaku Boateng in F.A., Bennett might be a similar player.

Pigskin

Quote from: the paw on May 03, 2023, 05:05:52 PM
They picked Bennet because:

(a) we haven't had a Cdn DE since Kongo, and we need one in the rotation.
(b) he is pro-ready.  As an older player with more experience, he is ready to roster now.  
(c) he has the good attitude.  We passed on Bemiy (like all the other teams) likely because he was indicating a reluctance to play inside, do teams etc.  

Mr. Walters saying he can play edge or LB, also very good on teams.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: LXTSN on May 03, 2023, 05:10:05 PM
If it was up to me, I'd like to see Lawson continue to get those reps. Having Adamson as the 7th OL/4th DT would be pretty handy also for depth.
I can't see Kornelson cracking a roster spot IMO

Kornelson can still go back to the UofM

pjrocksmb