2023 Drafted Players Discussion - Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, April 30, 2023, 02:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Bennett will be a rotational edge speed rusher.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Pigskin

No that impressed with our draft. Could have had Bemiy with #8,  Curtis or Grohovar, with #15.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

The broadcast pundits and the mock draft guys weren't close on too many picks or where they'd end up.

Listening to them, I thought we'd pick different players but I have no idea on how well we've done. Not really expecting too many to actually make the AR immediately. PR picks and depth needs filled.

6 defensive picks wasn't a surprise but we could have had a couple of good ones on offence that we passed on.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Bombers: 3-DL, 2-DB, 2-WR, 1-LB, no OL.

Rosery WR/RB
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers 2023 CFL Draft summary

WINNIPEG, MB., May 2, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers selected eight players in the 2023 CFL Draft held tonight. 

The club began the night by selecting University of Regina defensive lineman Anthony Bennett with the eighth overall selection.

Bennett (6-3, 230, University of Regina; born: October 4, 1996, in Weston, FL) was named a first-team All-Canadian and a Canada West all-star after setting a school single-season record with eight sacks with the Regina Rams in his senior year.

He tied a school record for most tackles for loss in a single season (10.5) and started all eight Canada West games at defensive end, finishing the year with 25.5 tackles (19 solo, 13 assisted).

In 2021, Bennett finished fourth on the team and led all Rams defensive linemen in tackles (17 solo, 8 assisted) while tying for the team lead with 7? tackles for loss, adding two sacks. Prior to joining the Rams, Bennett spent the 2015-2019 seasons with Florida Atlantic University.

With their second pick in the draft, 15th overall, Winnipeg selected Bishop?s University defensive back Jake Kelly.

Kelly (6-0, 180, Bishop?s University; born: April 1, 1999, in Markham, ON) was named the Brian Morely Defensive Player of the Year last season and an Academic All-Canadian in 2021 with the Bishop's University Gaiters. He played in eight games for the Gaiters in 2022-23, recording two interceptions (one for a touchdown), one forced fumble and 24 total tackles (19 solo and 5 assisted).

Kelly played in seven games in 2020-21, totalling 29 tackles (24 solo, 5 assisted) and one interception.

In the third round, 26th overall, Winnipeg selected Concordia University receiver Jeremy Murphy.

Murphy (6-2, 195, Concordia University; born: May 14, 1999, in St. Bruno, QC) was named to the U Sports First All-Canadian team in 2022, his second national award. In 2019, his first season with the Stingers, he was named the U Sports Rookie of the Year as well as the RSEQ Offensive Rookie of the Year and RSEQ Rookie of the Year.

The pandemic derailed his sophomore season and in 2021, Murphy tore his hamstring, ending his season. But he returned in 2022, posting career numbers: He recorded 29 receptions for 589 yards and two touchdowns in seven games and averaged 20.3 yards a catch, leading the Quebec conference. In January, Murphy also attended the 2023 College Gridiron Showcase in Texas.

Prior to joining the Stingers, Murphy played for Division 3 CEGEP Champlain College St-Lambert.

In the fourth round, 35th overall, Winnipeg selected University of Regina defensive lineman, Tanner Schmekel.

Schmekel (6-2, 300, University of Regina; born: July 22, 1999, in Regina, SK) was a 2022 U SPORTS First-Team All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star. The defensive lineman started all eight Canada West games at defensive tackle in 2022, registering six tackles for loss including a pair of sacks during conference play. The three-time University of Regina Defensive Lineman of the Year finished the season with a total of 14 tackles (11 solo, 6 assisted) and a pass breakup.

Schmekel redshirted with the Rams in 2017 before starting all eight games in 2018 and leading the team's linemen in tackles, finishing with 16? and adding 1? tackles for loss. He then played for the Regina Thunder (CJFL) in 2019 before returning to the Rams in 2021.

In the fifth round, 44th overall, Winnipeg selected University of Manitoba defensive lineman Collin Kornelson.

Kornelson (6-3, 240, University of Manitoba; born: February 14, 2000, in Winnipeg, MB) stays home, moving down the hall from his University of Manitoba locker where he was team captain in 2022. After playing his minor football for the Valour Patriots and then the St. Paul's Crusaders, Kornelson joined the Bisons in 2019. In six games in 2021, he recorded 18.5 tackles, one sack and one tackle for a loss. He built on his totals in 2022, playing in all eight games and registered 27 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two tackles for loss.

The tackle participated in the 2022 U Sports East-West Bowl.

In the sixth round, 53rd overall, Winnipeg selected Windsor University defensive back Bret MacDougall.

MacDougall (6-3, 205, Queen?s University; born: June 25, 2001, in LaSalle, ON) was named a 2022 U SPORTS Academic All-Canadian and participated in the 2022 East-West Bowl last season after recording 29 tackles, two tackles for loss, one forced fumble, two interceptions and three pass breakups in his third season with the Lancers. He appeared in six games in 2021, making 15 tackles (9 solo, 12 assists) and dressed for three games in 2019 but did not record any stats.

In the seventh round, 62nd overall, Winnipeg selected University of Alberta running back Jonathan Rosery.

Rosery
(5-9, 193, University of Alberta; born: January 16, 2000, in Edmonton, AB) was named a 2022 Canada West All-Star after amassing 536 yards on 29 receptions for two touchdowns and adding 160 more along the ground last season. In his four seasons with the Golden Bears, Rosery totalled 75 receptions for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns while adding 564 rushing yards and another score.

In the eighth round and with their final pick, 71st overall, Winnipeg selected University of Ottawa linebacker Max Charbonneau.

Charbonneau (6-3, 225, University of Ottawa; born: August 19, 1999, in Ottawa, ON) played four seasons with the GeeGees, seeing action in 28 games and recording 53.5 total tackles (38 solo, 31 assisted). His 2022 season was his best as he appeared in six regular season games at middle linebacker, recording 17 total tackles (9 solo, 16 assisted) and adding one tackle for loss, a forced fumble, a pass breakup, and a blocked kick. In his two playoff starts in 2022, Charbonneau tallied 10.5 tackles, a sack, two tackles for loss, and a forced fumble.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

NewBlue

Pretty much what I thought we'd do - mostly focus on D picks, with a couple WR

Couple of interesting things:  Bennett is a 96 born, which is the same year as Kongbo, oldest of our picks
The WR pick J. Murphy      Instant favorite!

Blue In BC

Anyone want to take a shot at which draft choices are most likely to make the AR? We don't have many open spots.

Based on our choices I wonder how serious the competition for Lawson will be and whether Noah Hallett has recovered.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 03, 2023, 02:01:41 PM
Anyone want to take a shot at which draft choices are most likely to make the AR? We don't have many open spots.

Based on our choices I wonder how serious the competition for Lawson will be and whether Noah Hallett has recovered.
My guess would be Bennett. Should be the safe choice with him being our first round pick!
It would be a pretty strange move to draft a 26.5 year old this high in the draft without having a solid plan for his growth and development.

That being said, I think he will be a nice change of pace guy for our d-line.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: LXTSN on May 03, 2023, 02:06:37 PM
My guess would be Bennett. Should be the safe choice with him being our first round pick!
It would be a pretty strange move to draft a 26.5 year old this high in the draft without having a solid plan for his growth and development.

Bennett is the surest bet but if Jake Kelly can play special teams he'd be hard to keep off the roster. He's apparently incredibly athletic which often translates more quickly to cover teams than as a defensive back, doubt he gets a sniff there in the regular season. Other guy with an outside shot is Schmekel because big, not-flashy, run stopping rotational national defensive lineman are easy to roster but he'd still likely have to beat out someone.

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on May 03, 2023, 02:06:37 PM

Good point. He may need to add some weight to play at DE. It's possible they will use him more like a LB initially?  If he can add some rotation value it might eliminate the need for an import DE as a DI on the active roster. Keeping in mind the roster is a combination of ratio and size that has to fit the need to have depth.

I thought Lawson played well as a depth guy at DT but at the least / worst we now have PR depth behind him. If a rookie beats him out then we have an improvement.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 03, 2023, 02:30:03 PM
Good point. He may need to add some weight to play at DE. It's possible they will use him more like a LB initially?  If he can add some rotation value it might eliminate the need for an import DE as a DI on the active roster. Keeping in mind the roster is a combination of ratio and size that has to fit the need to have depth.

I thought Lawson played well as a depth guy at DT but at the least / worst we now have PR depth behind him. If a rookie beats him out then we have an improvement.

Bennett could and likely should add a few pounds (if you could pick a frame ideally he's probably 245 or so) but it is interesting how draft picks are talked about compared to veterans. You don't hear anyone suggesting Ja'Gared Davis, the highest paid defensive end in the league, put on pounds.

For the record:
Ja'Gared Davis 6-1, 238
Anthony Bennett 6-3, 230

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 03, 2023, 03:55:32 PM
Bennett could and likely should add a few pounds (if you could pick a frame ideally he's probably 245 or so) but it is interesting how draft picks are talked about compared to veterans. You don't hear anyone suggesting Ja'Gared Davis, the highest paid defensive end in the league, put on pounds.

For the record:
Ja'Gared Davis 6-1, 238
Anthony Bennett 6-3, 230

Fair enough but he's not Davis either. He could turn out to be a good player. How they choose to use him is possibly more of the question.

Players drafted earlier in the draft may have more upside. OTOH, upside and readiness to step in and contribute immediately are not always the same thing for each player.

I suppose that was why I asked the question. Bennett could be both or he may take a bit longer than a lower draft choice that can play sooner. Also how the team plans to utilize a skill set may be more of an adjustment for some.

I'm not saying that's the case for him or any draft choice in particular.

EDIT: IMO one of the DB's drafted makes the AR. It may depend on whether Noah Hallett has recovered to be available to attend TC. Having lost Ford, Rene and Thompson opened a spot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 03, 2023, 02:01:41 PM

Bennett likely makes it by default because our NAT depth on the DL is poor. However, this was not a particularly good draft and even the first overall is kind of question mark to stick around the CFL for long. It was a strange year that saw a high number (almost the entire potential first round) go to the NFL, and 150 or so players decide to use the covid eligibility loop hole to extend their U sport and NCAA eligibility and that robbed the draft of many really good players. It's not a strong crop.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

DM83

Seems  the Bombers did OK.

Bennett seems like a very weird pick, though.
He must be abnormally fast.  That would pose  different problems for opponents blocking schemes.  I can't believe he will get any pressure on the QB, will he?
I thought we liked  tall DE. Does this mean the Bombers were not happy with Jeffcoat's continual injury status.???

Or Does this mean we could be preparing to go to a three man line with a rush end ?  We did mix things up quite a bit last yr?
I thought our main need was at Def Tackle.  I thought we would draft a guy to plug the "a" gap, I love Jake, but he ain't getting any younger. The kid from Sask might be the potential, but he might be too big.

Maybe that is the role of Kornelson?

The  entire draft does sound like they have a chance to make an impression.  But lots of PR time, I would think.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 03, 2023, 04:56:02 PM
Seems  the Bombers did OK.

Bennett seems like a very weird pick, though.
He must be abnormally fast.  That would pose  different problems for opponents blocking schemes.  I can't believe he will get any pressure on the QB, will he?
I thought we liked  tall DE. Does this mean the Bombers were not happy with Jeffcoat's continual injury status.???

Or Does this mean we could be preparing to go to a three man line with a rush end ?  We did mix things up quite a bit last yr?
I thought our main need was at Def Tackle.  I thought we would draft a guy to plug the "a" gap, I love Jake, but he ain't getting any younger. The kid from Sask might be the potential, but he might be too big.

Maybe that is the role of Kornelson?

The  entire draft does sound like they have a chance to make an impression.  But lots of PR time, I would think.

Obviously the same questions were asked by the broadcasters of mock draft guys about lots of draft choices.

What goes into and comes out of the interview process for any player chosen is hard to tell. We know the draft is a bit of risk analysis that doesn't always work out.

Even if the team is concerned about Jeffcoat and injury status, that will fall into depth with an import DI as a DE. That may still happen regardless of whether Bennett makes the AR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions