Four Teams Exceed Salary Cap in 2022

Started by ModAdmin, April 28, 2023, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Four teams, including the Blue Bombers, exceeded the 2022 Salary Cap.  No team loses a draft pick.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/04/28/salary-management-system-four-teams-exceed-the-cap-in-2022/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

I wonder whether paying signing bonus's before the end of the year played into going over the SMS? Doesn't really matter how I suppose but we did. I'm ok with that.  It would be interesting to know how close the other 5 teams were and how it related to where in the standings they finished.

Obviously spending the most doesn't guarantee finishing higher, but in 2022 it did work out that way.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Ridermania

Top 2 offenders made it to the Grey Cup, I'd do this all the time to increase teams play-off odds.

the paw

the overage was in the neighbourhood of 1.1% of the cap.  In no known universe does that translate into a predictable and tangible competitive advantage.

the reality is that there are a lot of moving parts.  Some would be easier to forecast, such as bonuses for awards or productivity milestones, but even those could spike at year end a little above forecast.

there are other expense items, like housing, team-provided meals, practice roster expenses, etc. where I am sure the accountants have to split invoices, putting some portions against the cap, etc. Sometimes those splits get adjusted by auditor at year end, and could easliy cause a 1.1% ripple in your year-end balance.

Anyone who has sat on a volunteer board that undergoes a year end audit will have seen the year-end adjustments that can occur. 
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ridermania on April 28, 2023, 05:05:23 PM
Top 2 offenders made it to the Grey Cup, I'd do this all the time to increase teams play-off odds.

Ya, it's not a good look, Ridermania.  All the didn't-make-the-GC teams' fans will be moaning about this.  I'm a bit ashamed our team is on that list, and at the top.

However, if "no team exceeded the Salary Expenditure Cap by more than $100,000" then really no one gained any real advantage.  If we were $60k over, that's 6 guys we paid $10k more.  Did that keep someone from going to a different team?  Doubt it.

This smells more like an accounting mistake on WPG's part, as why would we have paid Zach that 2023 money out of the 2022 cap if we knew we were already over?  What is gained besides bad publicity and "cheater" calls?

I think paw is right.  If anything, this indicates who was closer to the limit vs who left wiggle room.  Clearly we left no wiggle room.  It would be nice to get a KW statement on this, but I doubt that happens (little to gain).
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 28, 2023, 11:41:50 PM
Ya, it's not a good look, Ridermania.  All the didn't-make-the-GC teams' fans will be moaning about this.  I'm a bit ashamed our team is on that list, and at the top.

However, if "no team exceeded the Salary Expenditure Cap by more than $100,000" then really no one gained any real advantage.  If we were $60k over, that's 6 guys we paid $10k more.  Did that keep someone from going to a different team?  Doubt it.

This smells more like an accounting mistake on WPG's part, as why would we have paid Zach that 2023 money out of the 2022 cap if we knew we were already over?  What is gained besides bad publicity and "cheater" calls?

I think paw is right.  If anything, this indicates who was closer to the limit vs who left wiggle room.  Clearly we left no wiggle room.  It would be nice to get a KW statement on this, but I doubt that happens (little to gain).

They had a ton of injuries last season, seem to recall a number of Bombers that could have been 6 gamed but never were, or at least not twice.  Just don't ask me to recall exactly who.  Perhaps that strategy was enough to cause an over spend on the salary cap.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 29, 2023, 01:25:04 AM
They had a ton of injuries last season, seem to recall a number of Bombers that could have been 6 gamed but never were, or at least not twice.  Just don't ask me to recall exactly who.  Perhaps that strategy was enough to cause an over spend on the salary cap.

We also added a bunch of players from the PR for a game and pushed some vets to the 1 game IR. It's a wise decision to protect vets in a game where the standings have already been established. It does add to the SMS though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 29, 2023, 01:40:43 PM
We also added a bunch of players from the PR for a game and pushed some vets to the 1 game IR. It's a wise decision to protect vets in a game where the standings have already been established. It does add to the SMS though.

Any idea what a PR player gets paid when they get added to the roster for a game? I imagine it's the minimum the CBA allows.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 29, 2023, 03:58:56 PM
Any idea what a PR player gets paid when they get added to the roster for a game? I imagine it's the minimum the CBA allows.

Most likely they'd get CFL minimum. Currently that's about $4K. OTOH, on the PR they'd get something in the range of $1K? Each PR player may have a different deal so we don't know the exact amount. We do know PR money counts against SMS.

At the end of the season ( last couple of regular season games ) we moved 6 or 7 players onto the AR from the PR. That would add about $3K per player times 12 or so = $36K?

It's just a guess but you get the idea. Every team that going into the playoffs tends to do the same thing. It's like pre season almost with a bunch of PR players getting a chance to get actual playing time.

2019 Grey Cup Champions