What is TSN Thinking...

Started by ModAdmin, April 26, 2023, 06:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

At least WPG still gets one aired.  We'd be mighty miffed it it didn't.  However, it is the "wrong" one.  Really dedicated fans will have to drive to Regina to see the other.

Kind of weird, as this should only hurt TSN as they paid for these games yet won't air them (and get ad revenue).  Hopefully this doesn't hint that the CFL on TSN is hard up for advertisers.

Smelling a bit bush league, though.  Honestly, I'd like to see all the PS games televised, or at the very least half of them.  The fact they kept a WPG/SSK game on the schedule might make non-prairie fans scream favoritism  :D  They'd probably be right.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

The Winnipeg-Saskatchewan games are a big draw for TSN and well-watched around the league.  While there may be a reason, it would be wise on their part to offer some explanation for what appears to be a puzzling decision.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

My guess is they are thinking it doesn't make money.

TBURGESS

It's pre-season folks. Nothing more than a public practice. Very few viewers = very low ad revenue. If I were in charge, I wouldn't bother to show any pre-season games.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on April 26, 2023, 03:16:29 PM
It's pre-season folks. Nothing more than a public practice. Very few viewers = very low ad revenue. If I were in charge, I wouldn't bother to show any pre-season games.

Yep. Even the NFL has a hard time creating excitement around pre-season. Stands are a quarter to half empty. Even they reduce the production value of their TV broadcasts. Us superfans on the forum represent a very small subset of usual CFL tv viewership. Say what you want about Bell, they love money and would broadcast the games if they thought it would make them more.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I enjoy watching pre-season games because they are often the only opportunity to see rookies and players who don't make the final cut in action, examples from last year Natl. running back Kyle Borsa and Lucky Jackson the receiver that wore red gloves, both stood out.

TBURGESS

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 26, 2023, 04:45:39 PM
I enjoy watching pre-season games because they are often the only opportunity to see rookies and players who don't make the final cut in action, examples from last year Natl. running back Kyle Borsa and Lucky Jackson the receiver that wore red gloves, both stood out.
There are probably a few thousand CFL fans who agree with you and all of them are on CFL forums. I'd watch the games too, if they are televised, but I can easily understand why they aren't.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

TecnoGenius

Oh, like TSN has anything better to show?  Half the day is just repeats of SportsCentre.  The other half is the same 1 event shown 4 times.  They are dying for content.

I get that the 7-10 guy camera crews might be more expensive than the ad revenue for PS games.  So why not find a solution like streaming-only where they have only 1 or 2 cam people showing only wide shots, and no commentator?  We can just listen to the 'OB for commentary.  If TSN won't show it, the CFL itself should pay for the 1 cam guy and stream it to youtube or something.

For me the PS is exciting and worth watching because it means the end of a long winter with no football.  It represents the start of a great season of going to IGF every couple of weeks.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Oh ya, and forget about whether or not the PS is "worth it" for TSN... instead ask yourself "what changed"?  They always show 4+ PS games (as per the article).  So why is 2023 any different??  That's the big mystery here.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Corporate decision based on greed, idiots.

Waffler

I hesitate to judge, not knowing the cost of production. Can't be cheap though. Being honest I only watch our own preseason games all the way through. I do catch the odd bit of other teams but that's all.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on April 26, 2023, 03:08:54 PM
My guess is they are thinking it doesn't make money.

I guess there are production costs to cover as opposed to replaying a Scotties curling match...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Lincoln Locomotive

Personally I've never taken much interest in pre season games and consider them as a venue for coaches to evaluate players in game situations.    The outcomes rarely reflect what will happen when the real season starts.....
Bomber fan for life