High Schooler Rumoured to Have Signed with Blue Bombers

Started by ModAdmin, April 20, 2023, 11:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

gobombersgo

He basically became Bomber property today as a territorial exempt player.

Recruit Ready   @RecruitReady
HUGE Congrats out to @recruitready Baller and the #1 Receiver in Canada '23 Mekhi Tyrell on signing to attend 2023 Training Camp with the
@cfl @wpgbluebomberscfl !!  Mekhi Tyrell becomes the youngest player in @cfl History (modern era) to attend @cfl training camp!#RRFAM

(link includes a picture of him signing his try-out contract)
https://twitter.com/RecruitReady/status/1649040859956912128

pjrocksmb

This is awesome and why the CFL is so awesome.  Community focused.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Below are some clips of this guy in action, looks like a young Demski before he learned to stop over-juking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8thpuojNo&ab_channel=KayEhSports

NewBlue

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 21, 2023, 03:18:34 AM
Below are some clips of this guy in action, looks like a young Demski before he learned to stop over-juking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue8thpuojNo&ab_channel=KayEhSports

Love it.  Hope he can be the next local star on the team.  Also great that we don't need to rush him in at all this year, let him be around pros and just work on his skills. Make a push this time next year. 
Feels like a cheat code that we get the top ranked WR before the draft, it was a positional need!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: NewBlue on April 21, 2023, 12:37:42 PM
Love it.  Hope he can be the next local star on the team.  Also great that we don't need to rush him in at all this year, let him be around pros and just work on his skills. Make a push this time next year. 
Feels like a cheat code that we get the top ranked WR before the draft, it was a positional need!

Yup low and slow

TecnoGenius

Crazy.  Looks good on film.  Good for WFC as it will generate a lot of buzz and press.

Dude is 19 so this must be his final HS year, you'd hope.  He can't go to the states as the article says "academic issues" make a scholarship impossible.  That might limit his Canada U viability too.  He may be on a one-track ride to Junior FB or the CFL.

If he does join WPG he'll have to give up his #10!  :D :D ;D
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Not many "territorial exemptions" get made... AH33 was one...

It will be interesting, if he has the chops to ride with the team on the PR or even AR for the year... does that burn a year off his ELC?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Don't know now anything about him, but:

You know he's good because he was initially recruited by Saban.

You know there some warning signs because he couldn't go to the NCAA on an athletic scholarship due to academic issues and that bar is very, very low.

Blue In BC

Interesting. We don't have great depth for our Canadian receivers, so this is well worth a look in TC. I don't put too much faith in highlight films, especially from HS. That said, he doesn't go down easy, has good size and seems to have good speed. I'd think he will need some polishing but that's to be expected at that level and age.

Good luck to the young guy. I'm not sure how school back east will impede any chance of being added to our PR? If he plans university in Manitoba this could work well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on April 22, 2023, 05:30:21 PM
Don't know now anything about him, but:

You know he's good because he was initially recruited by Saban.

You know there some warning signs because he couldn't go to the NCAA on an athletic scholarship due to academic issues and that bar is very, very low.

As I understand it he loses his eligibility for US college ball by signing a contract with the Bombers, so JR. ball or direct to the CFL may be his only options.  I could certainly be wrong with this assumption.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 22, 2023, 07:24:24 PM
As I understand it he loses his eligibility for US college ball by signing a contract with the Bombers, so JR. ball or direct to the CFL may be his only options.  I could certainly be wrong with this assumption.

I believe so. The article says the NCAA would not let him in so he didn't really have a choice. Seems like an odd situation.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on April 22, 2023, 05:30:21 PM

Ya, but AH couldn't do "U" either, in either country.  So I wouldn't get too worried about this kid.  It all worked out ok for AH.

Some people just are not cut out for university: even special "easy" football programs.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 23, 2023, 06:45:46 AM
Ya, but AH couldn't do "U" either, in either country.  So I wouldn't get too worried about this kid.  It all worked out ok for AH.

Some people just are not cut out for university: even special "easy" football programs.

Sure....but let's not discount the value of experience and playing in the US college football ranks.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 23, 2023, 06:54:41 AM
Sure....but let's not discount the value of experience and playing in the US college football ranks.

For sure.  Junior FB -> CFL doesn't have very many success stories, that's for sure.  If we brainstormed we'd probably be hard-pressed to think of a handful.  But there's also something to be said for a superstar youth coming in <20 y.o.; if he sticks he could be a super starter for 10+ years!  It's a long shot, but I'll be optimistic.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

bit of a long shot however well within the realm of possibility....
Bomber fan for life

KINGCHARLES

Very unfortunate that he didn't have his academics in order while playing a more elite high school football level.
My understanding is this more of a Winnipeg Rifles signing. I think there is hope he can get his academics in order to still maybe attend university in Canada.
There have been plenty of junior players that have found success in the CFL and, who knows having a training camp with the Bombers makes him a "territorial exemption" maybe it will help him get his head straight and fuel his drive to become a pro.
I believe when Andrew Harris first started with the BC Lions he was a territorial exemption that kinda went back and forth to the VI Raiders and the practice squad of the Lions...If you are motivated, work hard and that gifted anything is possible
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

dd

The kid went to Murdoch Mckay a couple of years ago and was a freakish athlete....academics, ah, not so much. I think we'll see him here playing Jr ball with the Rifles and then we'll see what if anything happens.

GCn19

Quote from: theaardvark on April 22, 2023, 02:05:41 PM
Not many "territorial exemptions" get made... AH33 was one...

It will be interesting, if he has the chops to ride with the team on the PR or even AR for the year... does that burn a year off his ELC?

Tons of territorial exemptions are signed. Very few make it though. Cottoy, Ferland, and Whyte all immediately come to mind as players currently playing as territorial exemptions. The last Bomber territorial exemption I remember actually making the team was Brett Carter.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Throw Long Bannatyne

DM83

If he can't get decent HS grades, I would venture a guess he doesn't have much discipline.  But hey maybe he is a one in a million