USFL impact on CFL

Started by Pete, April 16, 2023, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

wondering with the USFL season ending July 15, will more CFL players next year look to sign there instead and still have the option to play most of the season here. From a player standpoint in they have ability to double dip, showcase for NFL and then look to go to a CFL team with a higher likelihood of being in the playoffs. This could be a disrupting factor for CFL teams.
This also has CFL salary cap implications in that teams can add an impact player and remain under cap much like in NHL where a team puts a player on injury report and reactivates in time for playoffs.. McLeod Bethel Thomas is an example (he's stated he will only play in CFL for Argos)
Perhaps there should be some penalty to reduce this ie an additional 20-30 percent of salary against the salary cap.

TecnoGenius

I would think that if you wanted to "double-dip" then the XFL (not the USFL) would be more attractive to players as it'll be done in time for CFL pre-season.

I watched a few XFL and am watching a few USFL and it's nothing to write home about.  CFL has it beat in almost every way.  The attendance at most of these garbage-league games is like an OTT@TOR game.

As usual, these other leagues will probably fold.  Surely there isn't room for 2 of them.  The CFL(GC) will go on another 109 years.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

USFL looked more experienced. Some better coaching. The xfl and the kickoff or lack of doesn?t work for me.  Some LBs and strong safeties looking good, same with receivers. Good practice for newbie Qb.  Better than poker  Why don?t they come up with strip poker?  I mean they have big brother. Lol! Which I-have never watched for two seconds

I think the spring leagues are great for the cfl

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on April 16, 2023, 09:57:42 PM
wondering with the USFL season ending July 15, will more CFL players next year look to sign there instead and still have the option to play most of the season here. From a player standpoint in they have ability to double dip, showcase for NFL and then look to go to a CFL team with a higher likelihood of being in the playoffs. This could be a disrupting factor for CFL teams.
This also has CFL salary cap implications in that teams can add an impact player and remain under cap much like in NHL where a team puts a player on injury report and reactivates in time for playoffs.. McLeod Bethel Thomas is an example (he's stated he will only play in CFL for Argos)
Perhaps there should be some penalty to reduce this ie an additional 20-30 percent of salary against the salary cap.

Not sure whether players become free agents at the end of the season which would allow returning to the CFL. They have an NFL option deal but it doesn't seem there is the same pathway to the CFL.

Missing a CFL TC and arriving later wouldn't be the best option. Playing a 10 game season and then jumping into an 18 game CFL season would also be an issue IMO.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

A player such as Bethel Thomas or Hamilton's Kelly could take a break and jump back into the final 8 games and have a strong impact on playoff chances

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on April 17, 2023, 04:47:11 PM
A player such as Bethel Thomas or Hamilton's Kelly could take a break and jump back into the final 8 games and have a strong impact on playoff chances

Possibly if they can return ( as free agents ) and want to return. It's catch 22 whereas other players have taken on their previous roles. Then there is a significant issue of the cap issue, especially for a QB that might demand $400K+. If Kelly is healthy and winning why would the Argos rock the boat?

Kelly is a very good SAM but the same issue with lesser SMS issue.

In either case I think it is unlikely either are free agents at the end of the USFL season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on April 17, 2023, 04:47:11 PM

Like BinBC says, that only works if the team is struggling with the in-place player and couldn't find anyone better.

A good, but contrived, scenario would be BC in 2023 stinking badly with VAJ/Evans (which I believe they will), then Rourke shakes loose and comes back up to save them late in the season.  Ya, I know Rourke is NFL and probably won't shake loose, but the idea is the same.  If VAJ is lighting it up all season with 10-1 then they won't even think about Rourke anymore at week 12.

The problem with "relying" on (read: hoping for) the return of a great player is that there's a chance he won't return.  I know what KW would say about that strategy.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 18, 2023, 05:47:23 AM
Like BinBC says, that only works if the team is struggling with the in-place player and couldn't find anyone better.

A good, but contrived, scenario would be BC in 2023 stinking badly with VAJ/Evans (which I believe they will), then Rourke shakes loose and comes back up to save them late in the season.  Ya, I know Rourke is NFL and probably won't shake loose, but the idea is the same.  If VAJ is lighting it up all season with 10-1 then they won't even think about Rourke anymore at week 12.

The problem with "relying" on (read: hoping for) the return of a great player is that there's a chance he won't return.  I know what KW would say about that strategy.

Rourke would still be under contract with the Lions if he shakes loose. USFL players aren't free agents as far as the CFL contracts even if they are released by USFL teams. So lots of variables to consider.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Prukop looked decent in his debut, platooning.  He did far better than Johnson, except for the fumble. 

USFL looked like a bad AHL equivalent, and the "crowds" yikes... 

There might be some migration back and forth, but it certainly hasn't hampered the ability to sign players...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Yawn! Unless they are making  good Money from gambling, these leagues will flop like always. Seems like some wizard thinks they will finally be the one to make this garbage football work!

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on May 02, 2023, 06:57:34 PM
Yawn! Unless they are making  good Money from gambling, these leagues will flop like always. Seems like some wizard thinks they will finally be the one to make this garbage football work!

The 2 games on TV on the weekend had nearly empty stands. For year 2 that's not good news.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

You would have to REALLY want a guy to be confident enough that he can play 30 games a year or so. I doubt the Bombers would.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 02, 2023, 07:48:43 PM
The 2 games on TV on the weekend had nearly empty stands. For year 2 that's not good news.

Should call it the Covid football league if stands are that empty!

theaardvark

Skimming through the games today, saw Johnson in NJ get replaced after he took some turf pellets in the eye, and it wasn't Prukop coming in, but rather Kyle Lauletta... not sure why...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Quote from: theaardvark on May 14, 2023, 11:27:01 PM
Skimming through the games today, saw Johnson in NJ get replaced after he took some turf pellets in the eye, and it wasn't Prukop coming in, but rather Kyle Lauletta... not sure why...

Prukop wasn't even on the active roster not sure if he's hurt or just  got beat out