Blue Bombers add two to roster - April 14, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, April 14, 2023, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add two to roster - April 14, 2023

WINNIPEG, MB., April 14, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of two American players - running back Ta'Zhawn Henry and offensive lineman Kelvin Ateman Jr.

Henry (5-7, 180; University of Houston; born: January 25, 2000, in Houston, TX.) joins the Bombers after a four-year collegiate career split between Texas Tech (2018-19) and Houston (2021-22). Henry had had 23 touchdowns over his career with the Red Raiders and Cougars and finished with 1,553 rushing yards, 634 yards receiving and 429 kickoff yards.

Henry led Texas Tech in rushing attempts and touchdowns in 2018 and was the school's all-purpose yards per game leader in 2019. At Houston, Henry finished second on the team in rushing in 2021 and, despite missing four games last season, rushed for 359 yards while adding 246 yards receiving and finished with the second highest all-purpose yards on the roster.

Ateman Jr. (6-6, 300; University of Toledo; born: April 3, 1999, in Detroit, MI) dressed for fifteen games over his five-year collegiate career (2017-21) with the Rockets and was part of the 2021 Rockets team that went 7-6 overall before falling to Middle Tennessee in the Bahamas Bowl. He most recently participated in last month's University of Toledo Pro Day in front of scouts from both the National Football League and the CFL.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

kkc60

Interesting to see what they saw in Ateman. Only dressed (not started) a handful of games in his career from what it appears

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: kkc60 on April 14, 2023, 04:00:31 PM
Interesting to see what they saw in Ateman. Only dressed (not started) a handful of games in his career from what it appears

I would guess they saw a 6'-6", 300 lb man with the right attitude, not much else to go on.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 14, 2023, 04:44:40 PM
I would guess they saw a 6'-6", 300 lb man with the right attitude, not much else to go on.
Agree

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 14, 2023, 04:44:40 PM

He started 8 or 9 games at  tackle his senior year.  So he is a bit of a late bloomer it would appear, but can certainly vie for a spot as the PR tackle depth.
grab grass 'n growl

Horseman

Quote from: the paw on April 14, 2023, 06:27:21 PM
He started 8 or 9 games at  tackle his senior year.  So he is a bit of a late bloomer it would appear, but can certainly vie for a spot as the PR tackle depth.

They also maybe able to convert him to a D tackle to plug up the middle on the D line.

Lincoln Locomotive

Henry is a rather interesting signing....at 5'7" and 180 lbs he's built somewhat like Charles Robert's......maybe as a back up to Janarion Grant who was out last season for a number of games due to injury?   
Bomber fan for life

ModAdmin

As of now, I think Augustine and Oliviera are locks.  And both are Canadians.  I like what McCrae brought to the offence last year too.  Henry would be a long shot but he will be competition for McCrae.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83