April 15, 2023 Event

Started by ModAdmin, April 13, 2023, 07:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on April 17, 2023, 02:54:18 AM
Generally the food is pretty weak in my experience unfortunately.  A few good options but mostly poor.

Nothing weak about Shwarma Khan.  Tastes just as good at IGF as at the restaurant.  Also, the tenders are fine (well, they're tenders), fries are ok.  The schnitzel they did on Oktoberfest night was good.

I haven't had a burger or dog at IGF in forever, but I assume they are pretty standard (still), but you can't expect much in that department from any stadium.  I do miss the Salisbury House nip, which sometimes tempted me to haul butt downstairs at half time.  And I miss Clay Oven (samosas were the best deal @IGF).

There's always the Walby burger... That thing does look good if I ever go with 4 buddies so we can have a hope of finishing it.

Your problem is you're comparing it to all the fresh food you are bringing in from home!  :D  Nothing can beat your dip and pie!  ;D
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Haven't had a decent bite since the Nips.  Pizza is horrible, Shwarma is OK, but the lines and price... burgers, m'eh at best, specialty dogs not so special.  Fries are hit or miss, as are tenders and pierogies.  And the kiosk burgers smell wonderful and taste like sawdust.

Hopping the Pinnacle might prove better...

Its hard to do volume items that are consistent and taste good.  I guess Sals could because they could always send extra product to the stores.  The Bombers catering has only their own events to use the product in, so it has to have shelf life.  And "production calling" is the toughest job in fast food, the fine line between having it ready and making people wait is tough.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on April 18, 2023, 07:23:20 PM
Haven't had a decent bite since the Nips.  Pizza is horrible, Shwarma is OK, but the lines and price... burgers, m'eh at best, specialty dogs not so special.  Fries are hit or miss, as are tenders and pierogies.  And the kiosk burgers smell wonderful and taste like sawdust.

The trick to Khan is be first in the gate.  Me and the kid are always first in the gate.  No line for Khan!  ;D

And I must protest your protestation of price.  Khan was the same price in '22 as '19, and that's really saying something with the 13% (admitted) erosion in purchasing power since then.  Size is the same, too.  1 Khan fills up me & the kid every time.  Also, I'd say it's only slightly smaller than the ones at the Pembina store: meaning they aren't skimping.

Kudos to Khan for taking some of the inflation pain away.  However, we have yet to see what the price is this season... If the chicken is $14 or $15, I'll find that acceptable.

And we've yet to have bad tenders or fries in the 200-level W side Grannys.  Credit to them, too.

At least they aren't New Mosaic: 200-level out of every savory food item by mid-3rd quarter.  That's what I call insanity.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I've only tried Khan once at the stadium but was very disappointed. Wasn't the same as at the restaurant (which makes sense, but I'd rather just get pizza of chicken fingers if that's going to be the case).

I generally don't eat at the stadium. I don't care who's in charge, it's obviously going to be over-priced, low quality food, with wide range of how it's prepared depending on how busy the staff is. Eat in emergency situations only, lol.
My wife is amazing!

NewBlue

Almost always I get a dog from one of the vendors outside.  I only stand in line for beer, and I only have 2 hands!

DM83

Don?t complain two weeks ago in phoenix at my favourite restaurant, a great looking promo cocktail was delicious it was my last few hours before flying back?. So I ordered a second. When the bill came it was $18.00 each for the strawberry garnished temptress. Wow, good thing Spring Break comes only once a year.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 17, 2023, 03:57:17 AM
Nothing weak about Shwarma Khan.  Tastes just as good at IGF as at the restaurant.  Also, the tenders are fine (well, they're tenders), fries are ok.  The schnitzel they did on Oktoberfest night was good.

I haven't had a burger or dog at IGF in forever, but I assume they are pretty standard (still), but you can't expect much in that department from any stadium.  I do miss the Salisbury House nip, which sometimes tempted me to haul butt downstairs at half time.  And I miss Clay Oven (samosas were the best deal @IGF).

There's always the Walby burger... That thing does look good if I ever go with 4 buddies so we can have a hope of finishing it.

Your problem is you're comparing it to all the fresh food you are bringing in from home!  :D  Nothing can beat your dip and pie!  ;D

The burgers are the worst, expensive and crap

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Jesse on April 19, 2023, 12:12:33 PM
I've only tried Khan once at the stadium but was very disappointed. Wasn't the same as at the restaurant (which makes sense, but I'd rather just get pizza of chicken fingers if that's going to be the case).

I generally don't eat at the stadium. I don't care who's in charge, it's obviously going to be over-priced, low quality food, with wide range of how it's prepared depending on how busy the staff is. Eat in emergency situations only, lol.
If they allowed more variety of local vendors to make the food it would be decent.  Big corporate food vendors are < fast food.  It's too bad, the Bombers could help the local community rather than pad the pockets of a big Corp.  They have tried but the majority is still cardboard.

Agree emergency only.  I haul in a kings ransome of food for my crew each game.

bwiser

I don't go to sporting events for the food, I go for the beer!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: bwiser on April 21, 2023, 04:30:57 PM
I don't go to sporting events for the food, I go for the beer!
I go for the world class football, fresh air and good times with buddies.

TecnoGenius

Well, I'm the odd one out then, as we always make a point to go super early just to eat dinner (Shawarma) first.  Then a top-up in the late 3rd Q.  We love the food experience at IGF!

Surely you guys aren't saying the food is worse at IGF vs CanadInns stadium?  I have fond memories of getting whatever food at the old barn with my dad; we didn't eat out much so it was a real treat for me.

I don't think the point of stadium food is to be Michelin 5 star: it's to do something different and eat outside with your family or friends in the cool atmosphere.

Oh ya, I forgot, Danny's whole hog was always good, too.  But I don't recall seeing it in '22?  Didn't look too hard though, as the kid vastly prefers shawarma.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: pjrocksmb on April 21, 2023, 02:11:56 PM
If they allowed more variety of local vendors to make the food it would be decent.  Big corporate food vendors are < fast food.  It's too bad, the Bombers could help the local community rather than pad the pockets of a big Corp.  They have tried but the majority is still cardboard.

Agree emergency only.  I haul in a kings ransome of food for my crew each game.

The issue is setting up equipment, supply and staffing for 10 dates a year.  Even shutting down your brick and mortar for game days would leave you short, and moving fresh foods in and out of the stadium is a logistics nightmare.

WFC running catering for a large part of the facility gives them economies of scale, and even then, they have logistics issues.

What would be interesting would be to have a food truck corral on the premises inside the gate so that people could wander out to it before, during or after the game.  Food trucks can provide some cool options and are set up for festival type production.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on April 22, 2023, 02:14:16 PM
The issue is setting up equipment, supply and staffing for 10 dates a year.  Even shutting down your brick and mortar for game days would leave you short, and moving fresh foods in and out of the stadium is a logistics nightmare.

WFC running catering for a large part of the facility gives them economies of scale, and even then, they have logistics issues.

What would be interesting would be to have a food truck corral on the premises inside the gate so that people could wander out to it before, during or after the game.  Food trucks can provide some cool options and are set up for festival type production.

Good idea but not as simple as it sounds, as you said the current vendors have a substantial investment tied up in their operations and they pay dearly for the location to deliver their product.  It would piss them off if Wade allowed competition access to their customers at a much lower cost, similar to an outdoor market being allowed to operate in the parking lot of a mall.

DM83

Bigger isn't better, or is cheaper  better.

At the old stadium, I actually loved the moist little hot dogs for $5.00.  I just want something to quiet the rumblings during the 3 or 4 quarter.  I don't want  walby burger, or  footlong hot dog.

There is something to be said for traditional, 1960's basic food.  It's usually fun to eat, made by a senior citizen who cares, and served by students.
Whats a Shwama Kahn?  I know HE was a Bomber player, great community activist, and now current politician.  He must be a pretty neat human. I better go get some of hat food he makes.

I find it sad and pathetic, the Bombers lied to the Winnipeg public about having professional restaurant fare. 
Regarding the lounge, it is not worth it.  They have cut the beverage choices to one or two brands.

I wonder what they will jack the beer and cockttails up to.
This is Winnipeg, not Toronto.  Will anyone pay $15.00 fo a 12 ounce can of beer?

Soon, I will decline my $ 1500.00 season ticket  It's just cheaper ot to go.