Pre-Draft and Mock Draft Discussions

Started by ModAdmin, April 13, 2023, 01:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 29, 2023, 10:59:50 PM
Any recent instances of NATs getting drafted early-ish in NFL draft, also getting picked in the CFL draft, and then coming back up?  Like actual player names.

How long does a team retain their CFL rights for while they are in the NFL?

Here is a list of every Canadian ever drafted in the NFL.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/26/northern-uprising-every-canadian-player-ever-selected-in-the-nfl-draft/

Brian Fryer played for Edmonton.  Mo Elwonibi came to the CFL, including the Bombers.  Andrew Greene played in the CFL.  Austin Collie had a cup of coffee with BC, but had recurring concussion issues if I recall correctly.

Calgary longsnapper Randy Chevrier, and the Riders apparent LT, Phil Blake are the only current CFL players who have been drafted in the NFL. 

those are the ones that I can remember, maybe others can add a name or two, but I bet there aren't too many more. 
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on April 30, 2023, 01:26:51 AM
Calgary longsnapper Randy Chevrier, and the Riders apparent LT, Phil Blake are the only current CFL players who have been drafted in the NFL. 

Thanks.  Wow you guys weren't lying when you said it is/was rare.  I see what you mean about only wasting late-round picks on NFL-DPs.

None of the examples you mentioned, from my memory, would I call "good gambles" or coups.  Which means, it's dumb to do it.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Wow, 5 players drafted in our top 20 ranked players. Another 4 signed after the draft. That took an enormous bite out of our top ranked prospects. A CFL team might look to draft those last 3 in later rounds? I'll have to check if any others get signed before our draft.

We could add our CB Ford in that group of trying to land an NFL roster spot. Green Bay only drafted 1 CB and that was in the 7th round. Whether that makes it harder to make their roster or not we'll see.

Is there a list of players not drafted that signed free agent tryout deals immediately after the NFL draft?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 30, 2023, 01:25:30 PM
Wow, 5 players drafted in our top 20 ranked players. Another 3 signed after the draft. That took an enormous bite out of our top ranked prospects. A CFL team might look to draft those last 3 in later rounds? I'll have to check if any others get signed before our draft.

We could add our CB Ford in that group of trying to land an NFL roster spot. Green Bay only drafted 1 CB and that was in the 7th round. Whether that makes it harder to make their roster or not we'll see.

Is there a list of players not drafted that signed free agent tryout deals immediately after the NFL draft?

Totally forgot about Ford, even if he returns I don't think he has much chance of starting this year even with all the attention he received over the winter, he doesn't have enough experience yet and he's up against some pretty stiff competition.  Maybe with a ratio adjustment next season he will have a better chance to become a starter if he decides to stick around.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 30, 2023, 03:40:44 PM
Totally forgot about Ford, even if he returns I don't think he has much chance of starting this year even with all the attention he received over the winter, he doesn't have enough experience yet and he's up against some pretty stiff competition.  Maybe with a ratio adjustment next season he will have a better chance to become a starter if he decides to stick around.

I think there is a good chance he returns but agree he has little chance of starting in 2023. However, with a little more experience he has the tools to become a very good CFL player. He's under contract for 2023 - 2024 seasons at the moment.

There are no guarantees but I would think a team that drafts a player is more likely to stick than an un-drafted player. Of course that's just speculative on my part. He can't go elsewhere in the NFL.

He might be good enough in 2023 to be a 6th DB in that defensive formation, eliminating the need for an import DB as a DI?

The longer he takes to return ( if he does in 2023 ) the harder it will be to take on a more significant role.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Ford looked great when he got live game reps with us.  He'd be great to do the 49/51 match with one of our vet DBs (Rose?).  That would be a great future plan if Fatboi retires after this year.  Then we could go all-IMP DL.

Yes, having Ford dressed means we don't have to waste a DI at DB.

Also, I'm not totally convinced yet that Parker and Lawrence are any better than Ford.
Never go full Rider!

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on April 30, 2023, 03:40:44 PM
The Packers did draft another DB and S at the end of the draft. More competition for Ford is a good thing for the Bombers  ;)

Pigskin

If Uguak or Bemiy are around at #8 I be taking either one of these DLs. If not hopefully OLs, Bull or Grohovac are still around.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

DL Noah Curtis deemed eligible for tomorrows draft. He might be a 1st round pick. Seems to be on the Elks target list. Elks forfeited their 2nd round pick but have the 2nd pick overall. 

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/01/former-florida-international-defensive-lineman-noah-curtis-added-to-the-2023-cfl-draft/
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sec227

Oh Man...Poor TSN/CFL. Going up against the Leaf's in round 2, same TV time slot. Honestly curious what kind of viewership it will get.

GCn19

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 30, 2023, 04:56:41 AM
Thanks.  Wow you guys weren't lying when you said it is/was rare.  I see what you mean about only wasting late-round picks on NFL-DPs.

None of the examples you mentioned, from my memory, would I call "good gambles" or coups.  Which means, it's dumb to do it.

In the past 10 years or so, the CFL has lost a significant amount of draft talent as UDFA's the next few days after the NFL draft as well. Used to be that these guys were high % to come back to the CFL in a year or two, not anymore. Guys linger on PRs for years now because of the expanded size and eligibility of NFL PRs.

Anyone drafted in the first 3 rounds of an NFL draft can usually stick around the NFL for a few years unless they have personality, behavioral, or work ethic issues.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: Sec227 on May 02, 2023, 01:48:57 PM
Oh Man...Poor TSN/CFL. Going up against the Leaf's in round 2, same TV time slot. Honestly curious what kind of viewership it will get.

Hockey is hockey. Guys who want to watch the draft because they love the CFL that much will. The Laffs aren't going to stop them.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GOLDMEMBER

At least we get to pick ahead of Toronto this year, lol.
I?d like to see we continue to load up on Canadian OL and DT spots.
DB, WR, LB spots can come in the latter rounds to me.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Ridermania

Goldmember....good to see you made it thru the winter! 

the paw

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 02, 2023, 06:31:08 PM
At least we get to pick ahead of Toronto this year, lol.
I?d like to see we continue to load up on Canadian OL and DT spots.
DB, WR, LB spots can come in the latter rounds to me.

I think if Michael Brodrique is there on our first pick, we will pick him. If not, we will go DL, probably Korte-Moore. 

I would bet the farm that we end up with one of either Brodrique or Josh White as one of our draft picks. 
grab grass 'n growl