Blue Bombers add three to roster - March 31, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, March 31, 2023, 05:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add three to roster - March 30, 2023

WINNIPEG, MB., March 30, 2023 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the signing of three players - American linebackers Nate Givhan and Gee Stanley, and Canadian punter Chris MacLean.

Givhan (6-4, 245; University of Toledo; born: September 20, 1998 in Montgomery, Ala.) comes to the Blue Bombers following a college career with the Rockets where he appeared in 47 games from 2018-22 and registered 97 total tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, 13 sacks, one interception, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

He capped his days at Toledo by helping the school edge the Liberty Flames 21-19 in the Boca Raton Bowl last December while being named the game?s defensive MVP.

Stanley (6-2, 195; Emporia State; born: August 12, 1997, in Miami, Fla) comes to the Bombers after a collegiate career that began at Robert Morris University (2016), continued at Coffeyville Community College (2018) and was completed at Emporia State (2019, 2021).

Stanley was the Northeast Conference Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2016 while at Robert Morris and was named a HERO Sports FCS Freshman All-American. He had 42 tackles and two sacks in 2018 at Coffeyville and in his final season at Emporia registered 67 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, one sack, one interception, three passes defended and one forced fumble.

He had signed to play for the Arkansas Attack of Major League Football in 2022 before the season was cancelled.

MacLean (6-3, 195; University of Calgary; born: May 6, 1999, in Brampton, Ont.) comes to the Blue Bombers after a collegiate career that included being named a U Sports First Team All-Canadian and a Canada West All-Star in 2022. Last season, MacLean finished with an average of 46.5 yards per punt, with 11 landing inside the opponent?s 20-yard line. Of his 67 punts in 2022, 25 travelled 50 yards or more. He was also an injury replacement as a placekicker late in the year, kicking one 27-yard field goal on three attempts, while going 4-for-4 in convert attempts.

A transfer from the University of Toronto where he played from 2019-21, MacLean was an OUA Second Team All-Star in 2021.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

kkc60

Givhan may be more of an edge vs off-ball backer at that size

the paw

Quote from: kkc60 on March 31, 2023, 05:18:48 PM
Givhan may be more of an edge vs off-ball backer at that size

I'll be shocked if they aren't trying him in the DE rotation.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on March 31, 2023, 05:26:53 PM
I'll be shocked if they aren't trying him in the DE rotation.

Massive amount of stats, so he's a possible play maker. IMO those indicate high football IQ and awareness on the field.  At that size he could also see some duty at MLB on short yardage run plays.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 31, 2023, 06:05:26 PM
Massive amount of stats, so he's a possible play maker. IMO those indicate high football IQ and awareness on the field.  At that size he could also see some duty at MLB on short yardage run plays.

Found another link for him.  It looks like he played a mix of DE and edge rusher OLB in college.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Nate-Givhan-DE-Toledo

grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on March 31, 2023, 11:28:25 PM
Found another link for him.  It looks like he played a mix of DE and edge rusher OLB in college.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Nate-Givhan-DE-Toledo

When any player that is not an exceptional athletic player, he can adapt to on field awareness as a strength. I don't see that as a total liability. He may not have prowess of Jefferson or Jeffcoat but the info suggests he could be a fit in the CFL game.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 01, 2023, 04:28:13 PM
When any player that is not an exceptional athletic player, he can adapt to on field awareness as a strength. I don't see that as a total liability. He may not have prowess of Jefferson or Jeffcoat but the info suggests he could be a fit in the CFL game.

He's absolutely checking all the boxes as a viable CFL prospect.  Just not likely at MLB.  I think the draft profile I posted strengthens the case that he is here to compete for the DE rotation spot, and that his listing as a LB is mostly just residual from the defensive system used at his college.  I think Gee Stanley is likely here to compete at the WIL and DI linebacker spot. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on April 01, 2023, 04:36:53 PM
He's absolutely checking all the boxes as a viable CFL prospect.  Just not likely at MLB.  I think the draft profile I posted strengthens the case that he is here to compete for the DE rotation spot, and that his listing as a LB is mostly just residual from the defensive system used at his college.  I think Gee Stanley is likely here to compete at the WIL and DI linebacker spot. 

I agree he won't be used as a MLB primary candidate. However we often run a 34 defence that uses a 3rd DE inside essentially at a LB spot replacing a DT per se. I could see some situations where he might rotate into that role. When defence feels speed to attack rather than strength might be preferred.

A player that uses speed to make a tackle behind the LOS instead of in front of the LOS.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GCn19

Won't be MLB in all likelihood, he played primarily in a rush LBer role in college.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.