Global players 2023

Started by Blue In BC, March 30, 2023, 05:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 01, 2023, 03:20:46 AM
Haha, thanks for the clarification.  Well, if teams draft a lot of the available Samoans, the CFL will make great inroads into the Samoan market.  We'll be able to reach all 126 people that live there!  <kidding>

I joke, but we have seen the polynesian area create some stout football players.  I think Masoli would qualify, as would Chad Owens.

The citizenship part doesn't seem as silly to me as the fact that the majority of these guys have been developed at USA colleges like every other IMP.

It goes much further than that!
Samoan's have been balling for a while now in the NFL as well!
Troy Polamalu
Marcus Mariota
Tua Tagovailoa
Junior Seau
Manti Te'o
Just to name a few, but there were lots more in the past as well. I read an artical doing some research on this that Samoan's are 40x more likely to play in the NFL than the average American. Dudes there are just built different!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on May 01, 2023, 01:21:09 PM
It goes much further than that!
Samoan's have been balling for a while now in the NFL as well!
Troy Polamalu
Marcus Mariota
Tua Tagovailoa
Junior Seau
Manti Te'o
Just to name a few, but there were lots more in the past as well. I read an artical doing some research on this that Samoan's are 40x more likely to play in the NFL than the average American. Dudes there are just built different!

Those are NFL names, here are a few more CFL players with Samoan heritage.

Joe Paopoa aka the "Throwin' Samoan" , Junior Ah You, Mike Sellers, Dwayne Johnson, Tui Eli.  Interesting to note that Dwayne Johnson's father was born in Nova Scotia which would have qualified him as a Natl., I don't know if he would have been able to play that "card" at the time he tried out for the Stamps.

Blue In BC

At the moment the Bombers only have 1 rookie import DE and 1 rookie import DT.  Given the choices available I think we look at a DL in the global draft. Since Adamson is being moved to an OL candidate our depth at both positions is thin. IMO there is a better chance of finding a Canadian DT in the draft, I think we go DE in the global draft?

Top 20 choices are split 5 DE's and 4 DT's.

Tomorrow: 11:00 ET

LOL. I couldn't have been more incorrect. We selected 2 punters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Interesting....

Les Maruo
@Lesmaruo44
?
May 2
Good bye #00. CFL isn't allowing this number anymore. #00 literally meant "Maruo" in Japanese. New year, new number.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 03, 2023, 05:10:58 PM
Interesting....

Les Maruo
@Lesmaruo44
?
May 2
Good bye #00. CFL isn't allowing this number anymore. #00 literally meant "Maruo" in Japanese. New year, new number.

Hahahaha I posted a new thread about that a couple months back and you guys said I was crazy / shut up.  (Well, I am crazy, but I'll never shut up!)

Anyhow, maybe the CFL saw my post and decided to clamp down.  I thought it was pretty lame anyhow.  00 and 0 are the same number.  As a programmer I'd probably represent the player # as a tinyint, and as a tinyint there's no way to differentiate 0 from 00.  Darn players forcing us to make it a char(2) field.   :o >:( ;D   Maruo crashed the server  :D

I was just thinking about this last night, strangely enough.  I wondered what they'd do if someone chose 05 whilst Willie was 5.  They'd never allow that.  So why 00?

I wonder what legit number he'll take...
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 04, 2023, 02:15:22 AM
Hahahaha I posted a new thread about that a couple months back and you guys said I was crazy / shut up.  (Well, I am crazy, but I'll never shut up!)

Anyhow, maybe the CFL saw my post and decided to clamp down.  I thought it was pretty lame anyhow.  00 and 0 are the same number.  As a programmer I'd probably represent the player # as a tinyint, and as a tinyint there's no way to differentiate 0 from 00.  Darn players forcing us to make it a char(2) field.   :o >:( ;D   Maruo crashed the server  :D

I was just thinking about this last night, strangely enough.  I wondered what they'd do if someone chose 05 whilst Willie was 5.  They'd never allow that.  So why 00?

100 he said with tongue in cheek. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 04, 2023, 02:15:22 AM

True that tinyint takes less storage but you never have to do math with a player number so char would be fine. My question is what happens after all 2 digit numbers within a position are taken by active or injured players or reserved as retired? Certain positions are restricted to a range of numbers such as eligible receivers. Montreal has 11 retired numbers already, fyi. A theoretical issue that won't happen in my lifetime but if the goal is for the CFL to live indefinitely it would come up.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on May 04, 2023, 12:37:17 PM
True that tinyint takes less storage but you never have to do math with a player number so char would be fine. My question is what happens after all 2 digit numbers within a position are taken by active or injured players or reserved as retired? Certain positions are restricted to a range of numbers such as eligible receivers. Montreal has 11 retired numbers already, fyi. A theoretical issue that won't happen in my lifetime but if the goal is for the CFL to live indefinitely it would come up.

Fractions? lol
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

True that tinyint takes less storage but you never have to do math with a player number so char would be fine.

They did the math with Biggie + Solly in BC  :D :D  Too bad Jeffcoat isn't 95, 'cause then we'd have our own Team 100.

As for char, if you stored it as-is, you'd still need 2 bytes.  Unless you mapped the numbers to a 1 byte char.  But then you just have tinyint, but mapped!  Well, guess you could map 00 in tinyint too (to, say, 100).  But that ruins my whole premise  ;D

My question is what happens after all 2 digit numbers within a position are taken by active or injured players or reserved as retired? Certain positions are restricted to a range of numbers such as eligible receivers. Montreal has 11 retired numbers already, fyi. A theoretical issue that won't happen in my lifetime but if the goal is for the CFL to live indefinitely it would come up.

I've actively thought about that in the past.  I think I posted about it once and people pointed out that Bombers have never officially retired anything (I think that's what they said), but there's an unspoken rule that you don't take numbers on the ring of honor... at least the "big name" ones.

Your MTL example is perfect: I didn't know any team was already up to 11.  That kind of puts a crimp on things.  Let's say there's a league-best QB who MTL wants to obtain but he refuses to change from his fave # which happens to be retired.  That can limit your team.

However, I guess it's all hypothetical because if it took 50-100 years for teams to each "retire" 5-11 numbers, it'll still be centuries before AR+PR+retired>99.  I suppose if you did have a huge IR... but I think you could recycle those in-season and get away with it.

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 04, 2023, 02:30:53 PM
Fractions? lol

Awesome!  You win the forum for today.  But I don't even want to think about programming that solution...
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

There is little reason to store players numbers as actual integers.  There are no calculations done on the numbers.  Maybe some sorting, where text 2 comes after text 19...  if the numbers were stored as text, 00 works.  Stored as numbers 00 presents a problem, even if you turn on 2 columns of accuracy and 1 becomes 01, then 0 becomes 00 as well...

Players numbers should be stored as text.  And 00 should be allowed.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on May 05, 2023, 04:58:44 PM
Players numbers should be stored as text.  And 00 should be allowed.

CFL disagreed!   8)  You didn't answer the question: if you allow 00, then why not 05?  ???
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Start the action on the field.!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 06, 2023, 11:11:42 PM
CFL disagreed!   8)  You didn't answer the question: if you allow 00, then why not 05?  ???

I read you can allow the 00 player number. The issue is that you cannot also have 0 player number. It's one or the other.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Bombers haven't signed their # 1 pick in the global draft. Punter Sheahan. I don't know we need him but I'm curious if we will sign him or whether he choose to not attend TC.

In 2022 two of our draft choices never came to camp.  You'd think we'd know whether if was worth bothering to draft a player only to find out he wasn't interested.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 09, 2023, 06:01:16 PM
Bombers haven't signed their # 1 pick in the global draft. Punter Sheahan. I don't know we need him but I'm curious if we will sign him or whether he choose to not attend TC.

In 2022 two of our draft choices never came to camp.  You'd think we'd know whether if was worth bothering to draft a player only to find out he wasn't interested.

Apparently Walters interviews every one of their draft picks prior to both drafts and isn't shy about asking if they'll show up if chosen.  I guess he sometimes gets false answers or players just change their minds.  It's a big commitment to fly from the other side of the globe only to be cut loose a few weeks later.