Global players 2023

Started by Blue In BC, March 30, 2023, 05:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Currently we have 6 global players on the roster. I think 3 of them spent most of the 2022 season on at least the PR. One was added after the end of the season. Hansen and Maruo spent a lot of time on the AR until Hansen was injured, then a few rotated in for a few games.

IIRC the 2023 roster includes 2 global players on the AR and 2 on the PR. The draft is another 3 rounds ( assuming we draft players that show up for TC ).

That will leave us with some extra bodies barring injuries. That's a better situation than in previous seasons where there should be some competition to actually stick somewhere.

I've mentioned before I think Maruo is our 2nd best global player and Hansen is #1.

Beyond that it will be interesting to see who is drafted and who we won't have room for on rosters.

I'm not entirely clear but we might be able to hold more than 2 on the PR, but PR is still limited to 12 players in total. Two dedicated spots for global players. In theory that would mean an extra global would have to be better than an import to take a spot?

Who is our currently best # 3 global?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Maruo is turning into a pleasant surprise and got a whole bunch of live snaps on D in '22.

I couldn't name you our #3 GLOB because I couldn't name another glob league-wide besides Hansen and Maruo!  :D

I do want to rant, though, that I was very disappointed we didn't fly Hansen in to hobble around the field and wave for the Oktoberfest game we had vs EDM.  We put him on the brochures and marketing, It's German Night!, and then during the game it's crickets: no mention of Hansen, nothing!  Yikes.

The schnitzel sandwich was pretty good, though.  So at least there's that.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 30, 2023, 11:42:55 PM
Maruo is turning into a pleasant surprise and got a whole bunch of live snaps on D in '22.

I couldn't name you our #3 GLOB because I couldn't name another glob league-wide besides Hansen and Maruo!  :D

I do want to rant, though, that I was very disappointed we didn't fly Hansen in to hobble around the field and wave for the Oktoberfest game we had vs EDM.  We put him on the brochures and marketing, It's German Night!, and then during the game it's crickets: no mention of Hansen, nothing!  Yikes.

The schnitzel sandwich was pretty good, though.  So at least there's that.

LOL. I think I miss counted and we only have 5 global players at the moment.

Some of our other global players might have some talent. The catch is that global players are essentially like a DI. To that end they have to fill a role that fits into the ratio concept.

Example: Machino might be a good OL but is he an OT or OG? If he's an OG that role will be filled by a Canadian the way we deploy our Canadians and ratio. If he's an OT, he has to be better than someone like Richmond ( or new rookie import OT ). In both cases almost no chance for to be anywhere except the PR unless there are injuries. Our in game depth will be Canadian.

Essentially the expectation for our global players is to see significant reps. Both Hansen and Maruo are excellent on ST's and both are making an impact on defence rotation.

Example # 2: Karamoko. I haven't seen him on the field much. He might be our # 3 choice if he's capable of good play on ST's and as a back up at SAM. He has good size but only played in 2 games with only 2 ST's. Too small a sample. The fact they are bringing him back is a good indication. By default he would seem to be our # 3 most likely to get added next.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 31, 2023, 12:39:46 AM
Example: Machino might be a good OL but is he an OT or OG? If he's an OG that role will be filled by a Canadian the way we deploy our Canadians and ratio. If he's an OT, he has to be better than someone like Richmond ( or new rookie import OT ). In both cases almost no chance for to be anywhere except the PR unless there are injuries. Our in game depth will be Canadian.

Ah yes, I did know those names (Machino, Karamoko).  I think you're right and that the non-2-AR GLOBs will have a hard time getting on the AR.  It'll take an injury.  However, if Yoshi/Stan did go down might it be Machino starting the next game?  I haven't seen squat from our backup IMP tackles in, what, 5 years?  I guess we pre-season them and maybe "garbage time-of-season" like last 2 games in 2021.  That's not much to go on.  So in that sense, maybe a 2(?)-year-here GLOB might be the next man up instead of a who-knows IMP OT?

Then again, we'd probably just do what we always do and start 4 NAT OL.  That begs the question, then, of why carry a GLOB on OL at all?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 01, 2023, 11:43:39 PM
Ah yes, I did know those names (Machino, Karamoko).  I think you're right and that the non-2-AR GLOBs will have a hard time getting on the AR.  It'll take an injury.  However, if Yoshi/Stan did go down might it be Machino starting the next game?  I haven't seen squat from our backup IMP tackles in, what, 5 years?  I guess we pre-season them and maybe "garbage time-of-season" like last 2 games in 2021.  That's not much to go on.  So in that sense, maybe a 2(?)-year-here GLOB might be the next man up instead of a who-knows IMP OT?

Then again, we'd probably just do what we always do and start 4 NAT OL.  That begs the question, then, of why carry a GLOB on OL at all?

Machino played a bit and was on the roster for 3 games due to a spot created when Hansen was injured. Ditto for Karamoko but IIRC he only saw duty on ST's.

I had the impression the Bombers were very high on Richmond but he obviously missed all of 2022. IDK exactly what his injury was or what the probability of a full recovery might be.

So it's not outside the possibility that Machino is currently the next man up at OT if and when there is an injury replacement need. In theory he has more experience getting practice reps all season compared to Richmond?

There will be 3 or 4 rookies in TC so we may see rookies on the PR and / or both Machino or Richmond. A bigger issue might be their willingness to spend more time on the PR rather than try free agency if cut at final roster declaration.

I have no idea really how that will work out.  You're point that we might just start 4 Nationals is valid. OTOH, we carry both import and Glob OL because we may have multiple short and long term injuries on the OL. Different reserve players on the PR spend more time as specific replacements on the depth chart. While they also see rotation across the OL they specialize to a degree.

So who gets injured at times forces a change on how we adapt the ratio. Adding an import / glob to replace a Canadian is not ideal, but it could become necessary. Depth is a balancing act.

IMO a Global OL has the hardest road to make an AR roster. Larger pool of import OL will be looked at in TC and PR is mostly 1st year players. Effectively there is no direct ratio advantage to a Global replacing an import on the OL.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 02, 2023, 12:39:05 AM
I have no idea really how that will work out.  You're point that we might just start 4 Nationals is valid. OTOH, we carry both import and Glob OL because we may have multiple short and long term injuries on the OL. Different reserve players on the PR spend more time as specific replacements on the depth chart. While they also see rotation across the OL they specialize to a degree.

When Yoshi was injured for a couple games in the last 2 years I'm pretty sure we always went 4 NAT OL.  I'm not even sure we used a different IMP OL in the "garbage time" games!(?)  In almost every instance I remember we would start 3NAT+Yoshi+Stan, or 4NAT+Yoshi/Stan.  Never a GLOB.

I think we did see a non-Yoshi/Stan IMP OL start in the pre-season?  Or a GLOB?  We must have, it's the only chance we have to see?

Wasn't there that non-Yoshi/Stan IMP OL we started for just 1 game a while back and he instantly got injured and we haven't seen him on the field again?  Who was that?

While Machino was down as 3 GP in 2022, I'm pretty sure he didn't start.  And if he was on the field it would have to be for a 6OL set or garbage time.  In '21 Eli was always the 6th guy, and in '22 Dobson had that role.

You're right, it's so tough for a GLOB OL to get much action.  They'd literally have to be better than an American.  Now, if the league does something like mandate a GLOB on O, then OL becomes attractive.  You'd probably do better fielding a GLOB OL than a GLOB WR.  Haven't really seen any of those yet.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 02, 2023, 02:55:25 AM
When Yoshi was injured for a couple games in the last 2 years I'm pretty sure we always went 4 NAT OL.  I'm not even sure we used a different IMP OL in the "garbage time" games!(?)  In almost every instance I remember we would start 3NAT+Yoshi+Stan, or 4NAT+Yoshi/Stan.  Never a GLOB.

I think we did see a non-Yoshi/Stan IMP OL start in the pre-season?  Or a GLOB?  We must have, it's the only chance we have to see?

Wasn't there that non-Yoshi/Stan IMP OL we started for just 1 game a while back and he instantly got injured and we haven't seen him on the field again?  Who was that?

While Machino was down as 3 GP in 2022, I'm pretty sure he didn't start.  And if he was on the field it would have to be for a 6OL set or garbage time.  In '21 Eli was always the 6th guy, and in '22 Dobson had that role.

You're right, it's so tough for a GLOB OL to get much action.  They'd literally have to be better than an American.  Now, if the league does something like mandate a GLOB on O, then OL becomes attractive.  You'd probably do better fielding a GLOB OL than a GLOB WR.  Haven't really seen any of those yet.

Richmond played in 1 game in 2021 but was injured after the 1st Q. Last year we started a bunch of PR players in a game against the Lions that didn't mean anything in the standings.  That was the game in BC. Lofton showed as the RT, Gray moved to LT and Machino showed as the back up at RG. Bombers didn't keep Lofton after the season. However it confirms Machino more at G than T. What does it indicate when we released  Lofton that started when he didn't?

Machino only got onto the roster as they gave some Glob players some time on the AR after Hansen was finished for the season. We didn't really settle on our # 3 global player.

Our 5th global Knuettel is a receiver and we added him at the end of the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 02, 2023, 02:55:25 AM

Doubt a Global will be any closer to advancing this year as they have 4 Natl.'s capable of starting on the O-line plus Liam Dobson who looks like he could be a solid OG.  Injuries may play a part but as it stands either Kona or Tui are the  6th man with Dobson coming in only on special occasions. Hard to keep everyone happy in that scenario but should clarify next year if Bryant or Hardrick hang up their cleats.  Eventually I think they will end up with 4 Natls. starting on the O-line. 

Pretty amazing the quality O-linemen they've lost the last few years, Chungh, Goosen, Desjarlais, Couture, and yet it's still the best O-line in the league.

Blue In BC

Only 2 rounds and selection is based on standings order????????

https://www.cfl.ca/2023-global-draft-tracker/
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Top 20 ranked Global players. Most are DL, OL or LB's. None at receiver or RB positions.  9 DL, 6 OL and 5 LB's.

https://3downnation.com/2023/04/29/top-20-position-players-in-the-2023-cfl-global-draft/
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 29, 2023, 03:23:22 PM
Top 20 ranked Global players. Most are DL, OL or LB's. None at receiver or RB positions.  9 DL, 6 OL and 5 LB's.

Wow, lots of "American Samoa".  Uh, wouldn't they all have USA passports?

"Federal judge rules American Samoans are US citizens by birth" 2019

That's skirting around the GLOB rules a bit!!  USA passports and played in USA colleges.  But hey, if we can get a hold of one for an advantage, why not?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 29, 2023, 11:08:40 PM

That's skirting around the GLOB rules a bit!!  USA passports and played in USA colleges.  But hey, if we can get a hold of one for an advantage, why not?

Yeah that's a bit of a surprise regarding that classification. In any case, IMO it will be difficult to get a new global on the AR ahead of Hansen of Maruo. Not impossible but we'll see where depth is strongest. If we don't need a global at LB as much ( if our ST's and DI's take those roles ) then a DL might fit the bill.

We'll have to see who we draft. I think we draft at least 1 DL but would generally expect him to be on the PR at the beginning of the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Agree, what the hell is the point of the Global program if teams just circumvent the intent of the program?  This does nothing to increase the popularity of the CFL in foreign lands, time to face reality and quash it.

the paw

That federal ruling has since been reversed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitisemanu_v._United_States

So, for the moment, residents of American Samoa are "non-citizen nationals" in America.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on April 30, 2023, 05:21:43 PM
That federal ruling has since been reversed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitisemanu_v._United_States

So, for the moment, residents of American Samoa are "non-citizen nationals" in America.

Haha, thanks for the clarification.  Well, if teams draft a lot of the available Samoans, the CFL will make great inroads into the Samoan market.  We'll be able to reach all 126 people that live there!  <kidding>

I joke, but we have seen the polynesian area create some stout football players.  I think Masoli would qualify, as would Chad Owens.

The citizenship part doesn't seem as silly to me as the fact that the majority of these guys have been developed at USA colleges like every other IMP.
Never go full Rider!